Page 1 of 2
Profanatica - Profanatitas de Domonatia

Earning a space among the handful of black metal releases after 1996 that you wouldn't be ashamed to play for anyone, Profanatica's latest "Profanatitas de Domonatia" unites the aggressive and the contemplative in a melodic but unrelenting powerful tribute to blasphemy -- as a way to get past Christ and Satan alike.

Profanatica - Profanatitas de Domonatia review

This is currently rocking my world full-time.
^I shall check it out because I trust your taste in music. I actually haven't heard this band before, so I'm ashamed of myself.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
I'll be sure to check this out.I keep hearing good things about this band but i have yet to take a listen.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Handful? Mate I can think of at least 3 bands aside from Ledney that have more than a handful each post-96

I think I posted in the other exact same thread you started here :P that I didn't like it because it was a bit weak, and that's still what I think of it haha
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by MHDrunk
Handful? Mate I can think of at least 3 bands aside from Ledney that have more than a handful each post-96

I'm always in search of good music. I may be able to think of three; Summoning, Graveland, Averse Sefira, Demoncy and I know I'm forgetting someone. Who?
Great band.

Excellent taste in music, thou has.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Revenge don't know if you'd like them or not. Godkiller might interest you. When I have more time I'll think of more lol
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
The new album isn't anything like Profanatitas, and I was horridly disappointed, but I still have respect for the band.

Also, I'm probably going to finally put that new Havohej album on order...
Nothin' but love and respect for this band, including the new album.
Philosophy > Life
I don't see anything wrong with the new album. Flawless mixture of black and death metal. Such dark atmospheres!
Glance into my eyes
and see the darkest shadows dancing
Playing in the desert of my life
Burning, -
and my soul is descending...

Am I the only one that thought the production on Profanatitas was just irritating?
I've found Jesus
Eh, it's pretty muffled but I got over it rather quickly...
Glance into my eyes
Burning, -

Last edited by linfield4466 at Jan 29, 2010,
CURSSSED
NAZZARENEEE
WHOOREEEEEEEE

Man I love the full length album, don't understand why people can't seem to get the earlier demos out of their bungholes when Profanatitas de Domonatia fukking rips penises.
Glance into my eyes
Burning, -

The production does rule, very unique sounding for a black metal band at least. Sounds almost identical to the production on Onward to Golgotha.
Glance into my eyes
Burning, -

Right. What I love about this band is how they seemlessly incorporate oldschool death metal like Incantation (surprise surprise) into their own blend of black metal, something I've yet to ear out of any other band. Definitely one of kind, or close to.
Glance into my eyes
Burning, -

Quote by linfield4466
Right. What I love about this band is how they seemlessly incorporate oldschool death metal like Incantation (surprise surprise) into their own blend of black metal, something I've yet to ear out of any other band. Definitely one of kind, or close to.

A Blaze in the Northern Sky, anyone?
Quote by Dylar
A Blaze in the Northern Sky, anyone?

My memory failed me. In any case yes, Darkthrone most likely influenced this band in the whole "seeming death and black metal" idea. Surprisingly enough, they didn't come out a Darkthrone clone, unlike the other plethora of bands who can't try harder to make Under a Funeral Moon part two.
Glance into my eyes
Burning, -

I don't really see much of a Darkthrone influence, I'm just saying that the integration of death metal technique into black metal isn't exactly limited to Profanatica...
I see fair bit of Total Death and Panzerfaust era Darkthrone in their sound. Debatable to a fault I suppose.

So what other bands would you recommend that play black metal with the death metal aesthetic? Been searching dilligently lately and have come up with nearly nothing.
Glance into my eyes
Burning, -

Each member of Profanatica despises Darkthrone ironically.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by linfield4466
I see fair bit of Total Death and Panzerfaust era Darkthrone in their sound. Debatable to a fault I suppose.

So what other bands would you recommend that play black metal with the death metal aesthetic? Been searching dilligently lately and have come up with nearly nothing.

Demoncy Joined in Darkness
Beherit Drawing Down the Moon
Most of the recent Averse Sefira material has a strong Morbid Angel influence
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Each member of Profanatica despises Darkthrone ironically.

Yes, and Quorthon never listened to Venom.

/I have no idea. Interesting though, happen to know the reason?

Demoncy Joined in Darkness
Beherit Drawing Down the Moon
Most of the recent Averse Sefira material has a strong Morbid Angel influence

Will listen to Averse Sefira, familiar with the rest.
Glance into my eyes
Burning, -

Last edited by linfield4466 at Jan 29, 2010,
"I think it doesn't matter how many bands do it to make it trendy, if bands keep doing it good, then it won't get trendy, no matter how much coverage it gets. Most of the bands, or 95% of the bands from Norway and all of Europe can't play their instruments at all. I don't even call it music. I just call it a sad attempt at Black Metal. At least the bands from the US know their instruments."

"I would like to play in Norway because there seems to be a couple trendy bands that claim to be true Black Metal that came out of nowhere. All the true bands know who the fakes are in Norway."

"Just to all the bands in Norway that think they are black, like EMPEROR, BURZUM, THE TRUE MAYHEM, DARK THRONE. I'd like to say that the "cold winds" have nothing to do with playing the music. Black Metal should be in the heart. The only band I like from Norway is IMMORTAL."
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by Dylar
Would it surprise you to learn that Fenriz is kind of a dick?

The brief few moments I've talked to Fenriz, he was absolutely awesome.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by Dylar
Would it surprise you to learn that Fenriz is kind of a dick?

Not in the least, though I don't see how "being a dick" is a deciding factor in liking/disliking a band, unless your post was a modest understatement.
Glance into my eyes
Burning, -

Quote by VampireGoldfish
"I think it doesn't matter how many bands do it to make it trendy, if bands keep doing it good, then it won't get trendy, no matter how much coverage it gets. Most of the bands, or 95% of the bands from Norway and all of Europe can't play their instruments at all. I don't even call it music. I just call it a sad attempt at Black Metal. At least the bands from the US know their instruments."

"I would like to play in Norway because there seems to be a couple trendy bands that claim to be true Black Metal that came out of nowhere. All the true bands know who the fakes are in Norway."

"Just to all the bands in Norway that think they are black, like EMPEROR, BURZUM, THE TRUE MAYHEM, DARK THRONE. I'd like to say that the "cold winds" have nothing to do with playing the music. Black Metal should be in the heart. The only band I like from Norway is IMMORTAL."

Yet by looking at their photos, they look as though they're playing "every black metal band from Norway" dressup.

The brief few moments I've talked to Fenriz, he was absolutely awesome.

There goes another desk of mine.
Glance into my eyes
Burning, -

Quote by linfield4466
Not in the least, though I don't see how "being a dick" is a deciding factor in liking/disliking a band, unless your post was a modest understatement.

You have to remember that Paul Ledney had been playing around with ideas like those that inform Profanatica's music for a few years before Darkthrone made the switch to black metal, but credit from the media ended up going mostly to Mayhem, Emperor, Burzum and Darkthrone, in part because of the strength of their music, which, Ledney's sour grapes aside, is pretty obvious, but in part because these artists were all led by savvy self-promoters and were involved in all sorts of unsavory (but oh so tantalizing) mischief. There's clearly some bitterness there - understandable bitterness, but bitterness nonetheless.
Understandable enough for him to think that way, also seeing as every Scandinavian death metal band ever absolutely despised the black metal scene, reffering to it as a "media hungry joke" when it first erupted. Hell I'd be pissed too if Darkthrone helped produce an album of mine and then the next month lost interest in death metal entirely, thinking of it as "trendy" (not that this has anything to do with Paul himself).
Glance into my eyes
Burning, -

Profanatitas finally clicked with me. I finally see the production 'flaws' that used to stare at me like a mole as a big strength for Profanatica. Gives the album some raw, bass-heavy character without sacrificing the clarity of the melodies. Interesting how nobody has similar melodic/rhythmic sensibilities other than Incantation themselves.
I've found Jesus
They'd better release the new album soon before I break my face.
Glance into my eyes
Burning, -

I love how huge the bass is on the newer one, makes it sound so crushing.Profanatitas de Domonatia was great but the drum machine detracts from it.
Quote by Steve08

Haven't listened to this band much, can anyone give me some good albums or EPs or demos by Profanatica please?

or any worthy Paul Ledney projects.
Disgusting Blasphemies Against God is pretty awesome.
Quote by Steve08

Page 1 of 2