after regretting purchases like
boss eq-20
ibanez weeping demon
and maybe later boss dd-20 (i'm getting cranky)
a principle grew on me.
"don't buy the cheaper half of what's available".

do you have similiar principles?
example: don't buy pedals cheaper than $150.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
No.
Well for me there's a limit. I can buy a $20 pedal and be fine.
Though if I were to spend $150 on a pedal, and there was a better one for $200, then I wouldn't get the cheap one.
Lesson: go so cheap that you can't regret it.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
My only principle is to not "settle" for something. Just keep saving and get what you really want.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Try before you buy.

Being through loads of dirt pedals, delays, etc etc. Now, Im settled with no delay, and one really dirty box. I hardly tried (went with what was suggested/cheapest), and each time I wanted MOAR.
Gearz-

Grestch White Falcon

Red Witch Fuzz God II
Custom Audio Electronics Boost
EH Micro Synth
MXR Flanger
Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser
MXR Carbon Copy Delay

Matamp King Street Classic head
Matamp 4x12 Angled Cab
one piece of gear a year, and it will still be dirt cheap for me..

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Theres being economical and theres being cheap. Never buy the cheapest just because its the cheapest. You can buy the cheap one now because you have the cash, then be unhappy with the purchase. Then buy the better one later, or just have a little self control and wait to get the good one to begin with.
Quote by Tackleberry
Theres being economical and theres being cheap. Never buy the cheapest just because its the cheapest. You can buy the cheap one now because you have the cash, then be unhappy with the purchase. Then buy the better one later, or just have a little self control and wait to get the good one to begin with.

Agreed.

My principle is "I'd rather have one good one than several average ones". That applies to guitars, amps etc. At the moment I have a cheap rig, but that's because I've been saving up money and looking for just the right guitar and amp to get.
Don't buy anything if you don't know exactly what you'd use it for.

I only buy pedals if I know I need them rather than just want them; it's probably the only thing that's stopped me buying a phase 90 and a metal muff so far.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Basically your sounding like a spoiled little bugger. Or perhaps a gear snob, with silver spoon taste and a budweiser budget. For instance, the DD-20 has a overall rating of 9.2 out of 10 by 101 users: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Boss/DD-20/10/1

Now, I'm fine with that. But, I'd rather spend time playing the guitar and enjoying what gear I have, then worrying about what people think of my purchases. As you see on these common "rate my gear" threads. Geez...it was much simpler back in the day...LOL...before the internet. Crap, if a bandmate bought a frickin' OD pedal it was like cool, can I try it. Then deciding that "hell" I'd rather buy beer. Maybe kids just have more money and time than "back when," and there are alot more options.

I remember back when you couldn't even get a delay pedal...so "yes" I'm happy with what I have. I sometimes wonder if people even try before they buy anymore? Or are people throwing out cash, based on some recommendation on an internet forum - then crying "I'm not satisfied!"

How about this:: try before you buy...you know make sure "you" like/want whatever it is...and then try to get the best deal for it? What's wrong with getting a good deal? Hell, I just get most of my crap used and never have these "issues." Oh and I TRY IT FIRST!!!
My pricipal. buy something good now, buy something better later. and then the better will become good and then your will buy even better.. lol. just a vicious cycle really!
Quote by damnedone
Basically your sounding like a spoiled little bugger. Or perhaps a gear snob, with silver spoon taste and a budweiser budget. For instance, the DD-20 has a overall rating of 9.2 out of 10 by 101 users: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Boss/DD-20/10/1

Now, I'm fine with that. But, I'd rather spend time playing the guitar and enjoying what gear I have, then worrying about what people think of my purchases. As you see on these common "rate my gear" threads. Geez...it was much simpler back in the day...LOL...before the internet. Crap, if a bandmate bought a frickin' OD pedal it was like cool, can I try it. Then deciding that "hell" I'd rather buy beer. Maybe kids just have more money and time than "back when," and there are alot more options.

I remember back when you couldn't even get a delay pedal...so "yes" I'm happy with what I have. I sometimes wonder if people even try before they buy anymore? Or are people throwing out cash, based on some recommendation on an internet forum - then crying "I'm not satisfied!"

How about this:: try before you buy...you know make sure "you" like/want whatever it is...and then try to get the best deal for it? What's wrong with getting a good deal? Hell, I just get most of my crap used and never have these "issues." Oh and I TRY IT FIRST!!!

did i in ANY way/manner indicate that i do not try before i buy?
i admit i'm somewhat a gear snob, but you if you think you can comfortably rely on harmony central's reviews for a fail-proof purchase you're just nothing more than naive. ibanez weeping demon has a higher rating than bad horsie II but i end up selling the demon.
besides, trying a pedal in the shop is different than trying it at home with your own gears. maybe i was pleased when i was in the shop. but am i supposed to haul every bit of gear if i have to try in the shop? and we don't have this return-within-x-days-if-unsatisfied deal.
and maybe my taste evolutes by time. i might like it a year ago maybe not now.
all i was saying is that a pricier product generally promises a better standard. hence saving all the disappointment (if any at all) later.
if all everyone does is be content with what they have, there wouldn't be demand there wouldn't be progress. i'm not particularly a technological determinist, but you sound like a caveman who just had a glimpse of the modern world.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
There will always be improvements and such (even though many desire "vintage" gear.) And sure, as products are revealed or discovered folks may desire that product. But to suggest that spending X.XX dollars on a product negates this evolution is just ridiculous.

And if listening to people whine about products that THEY, THEMSELVES purchased is glimpsing into the modern world, which is quite a sad statement. I am sure there are many folks "enjoying" their purchases (in the modern world) and not thinking "gee, if I only spent more money, I could be happier." Dude, enjoy what you have...or sell it, and get something else! I mean, WTF?

I'm sorry you don't have a 30 day satisfaction where you shop - SO GO SOMEHERE ELSE!! Perhaps try stuff at your store and then buy it where there is a satisfaction guarantee. This isn't rocket science.

Quote by necrophilic

if all everyone does is be content with what they have, there wouldn't be demand there wouldn't be progress. i'm not particularly a technological determinist, but you sound like a caveman who just had a glimpse of the modern world.
Last edited by damnedone at Jul 5, 2008,
Quote by damnedone
There will always be improvements and such (even though many desire "vintage" gear.) And sure, as products are revealed or discovered folks may desire that product. But to suggest that spending X.XX dollars on a product negates this evolution is just ridiculous.

did i in any manner indicate that spending xxx dollars on a product negates product improvements? fair enough if you're not pointing your finger at me.

Quote by damnedone
And if listening to people whine about products that THEY, THEMSELVES purchased is glimpsing into the modern world, which is quite a sad statement. I am sure there are many folks "enjoying" their purchases (in the modern world) and not thinking "gee, if I only spent more money, I could be happier." Dude, enjoy what you have...or sell it, and get something else! I mean, WTF?

i agree that many folks enjoy their purchases, but what principle i have for myself is more like an assurance. higher prices generally buy you higher quality. higher quality generally means less disappointment than lower quality. hence it's all just an assurance. its not about spending more being happier. it's about spending more, playing it safe just in case i get fussy/cranky.
and you can take this sentence back.
"what you have...or sell it, and get something else! I mean, WTF?"

Quote by damnedone
I'm sorry you don't have a 30 day satisfaction where you shop - SO GO SOMEHERE ELSE!! Perhaps try stuff at your store and then buy it where there is a satisfaction guarantee. This isn't rocket science.

you're suggesting a migration. no but thanks.
The DD-20 isn't realy cheap....

As for me, no. My board all together is a few hundred dollars, but I don't think any pedal individually, disregarding the Boss RC-2, was over 120 bucks.

In fact, I'm sure of it.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
maybe i need to change my principle then...
but as my ears get trained i start to hear "color" in pedals. dd-20 shows a bit, but time will tell.
Golden Rule: Always buy the best you can afford, or you'll only end up paying more later on.

Doesn't mean cheap is always bad though; my Bad Monkey is a regular fixture on my pedalboard, and so is the Behringer delay I picked up on a whim for £20 a few months ago. Both have performed brilliantly, and delay is not a major effect for me so I'd never have spent anything more anyway.