Ok so I am currently refinishing / reshaping my kramer nightswan body. I just got done reshaping/stripping the body and the supplies i need to start prepping the body should be here hopefully on monday.

I plan on doing a polka dot graphic, and I purchased a 1" hole punch that I'm going to use to punch 1" circles out of masking tape for masking the polka dots.

My question is once I have a base coat on and have masked off the polka dots, would I have a less chance of my 2nd color bleeding under my masking tape if I put a couple light coasts of primer on first? or would it be better to just throw my second color coat on over my first color coat?
my gear:
Jackson Roads Pro
Gibson Explorer Pro
Fender American P-bass
Squire P-bass
Fender rumble 300 bass amp
Peavey 6505 head
Marshall special edition red cab
i know how to paint, all im saying is that most of the time when you mask off a pattern you sometimes get paint that bleeds under the tape, and i was wondering if spraying a couple coats of primer on before you paint over the masking tape would help make the paint not bleed under the masked off area
my gear:
Jackson Roads Pro
Gibson Explorer Pro
Fender American P-bass
Squire P-bass
Fender rumble 300 bass amp
Peavey 6505 head
Marshall special edition red cab
Use large painters tape instead of masking tape. That should be sufficient.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
even if you put primer on before the dots, i think there will still be a chance of bleeding. The primer could even bleed. When your spraying the second color, spray light coats. So if bleeding occurs you can scratch it off with a razor blade, or lightly sand it off. Another thing you can do is spray the paint in a cup, then use a paint brush to carefully paint over the bleeding.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass