The action on my Jackson is pretty high on the higher frets but low on the lower frets. The bridge is balanced, if I lower the action with the pivot screws, than everything becomes too low and there's a 'loss of tone'. Do I have to adjust the truss rod? none of my allen keys seem to fit..

thanks
truss rod is never supposed to be used to adjust action. I don't know how familiar you are with setting up guitars so the basic answer would be to use the truss rod to keep the neck as straight as you want it(from your description it sounds either completely straight and the frets need to be leveled or your slightly back bowed) so make sure your neck has a little bit of relief, then adjust the action with you bridge and nut.
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
Quote by pinksalmon
truss rod is never supposed to be used to adjust action. I don't know how familiar you are with setting up guitars so the basic answer would be to use the truss rod to keep the neck as straight as you want it(from your description it sounds either completely straight and the frets need to be leveled or your slightly back bowed) so make sure your neck has a little bit of relief, then adjust the action with you bridge and nut.

i think i need to adjust it because it looks slightly warped....as for setting up guitars....i have very little exp