Page 1 of 2
Cool! Saw him at the london guitar show this year.
Burny LG75-GR
Epi SG Pro 1966 Ltd Ed
PRS Angelus SE Custom

Korg Pandora effect unit (for practising)
Slash CryBaby
Blackstar HT-5
Korg RC2 Looooooper
Yeah, I've heard that before; quite frankly his ability to play anything scares and amazes me. I'm none too fond of the fuzz tone on the Hendrix part, I wish he'd gone with a cleaner strat kind of tone rather than the fuzz. I don't like extreme fuzz much at all really...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Theres one about where he does shawn lane licks, which is equally scary.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
Quote by public property
Theres one about where he does shawn lane licks, which is equally scary.

This one: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbz_-qZmVvk

I'm listening now and Guthrie really does scare me GOD!

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Jesus this man never ceases to amaze me.
And you can't spell funeral
without fun
hope you had a good time
cuz now your life is done
Quote by tomohawkjoe
Jesus this man never ceases to amaze me.

+1

Every time I see him my jaw drops for some reason, whether it's his technique, phrasing, vibrato or the sheer variety in his playing.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
He is really good. I watched the tapping lesson of his and he is a really good teacher too.
Got the CD with that on somewhere, he is an absolutely blinding player. Can't say I ever managed to complete many of his columns.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
...He is soo, good, I can't believe it. Every time I listen to him, my jaw drops.
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
wo... you mean... thats govan playing all of that??? i thought it was each individual guitarist. Thats insane!
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
^Yeah, that is what I thought too...and then I realized it was the Big G playing....
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
Quote by C.C. Deville
wo... you mean... thats govan playing all of that??? i thought it was each individual guitarist. Thats insane!

So did I until I noticed Hendrix on the list

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Night_Lights
I consider him the best guitarist living today.

this scares me

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fBvBaYxpG1E&feature=related

I love in the first lick when he says "I thought it would be funny to tap that a minor 6th higher,"...funny?

And quite frankly lick number 5 scares the bejeezus out of me.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I love in the first lick when he says "I thought it would be funny to tap that a minor 6th higher,"...funny?

When your that good, 2 million notes per second is "moderate tempo".
bah, i've listened to this multiple times and it still amazes me...
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Lick 3 > Any hybrid pickers.

Seriously, is there anything the guy can't do?
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
True dat

This guy is crazy talented.

Note: I'm biased, he's one of my favorite shredtype guitarists...
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Night_Lights

Is that a blue hairtie I can see on the end of the nut? Does that mean he... doesn't dampen with his right/left hand?

(Would've liked to have heard some gain on those licks. They looked – and sounded – very cool.)
Quote by DaFjory
Is that a blue hairtie I can see on the end of the nut? Does that mean he... doesn't dampen with his right/left hand?

(Would've liked to have heard some gain on those licks. They looked – and sounded – very cool.)

Nah, he does mute a lot; he's possibly the biggest advocate of muting unplayed strings I've ever heard give a lesson. As far as I can see he doesn't actually use it at any point in the lesson. Maybe he had his hair tied back before the lesson and just needed somewhere to put it where he wouldn't loose it?

I also would have loved some gain on those licks, especially some of that sweet Cornford grit; that man has some of the greatest tone I've ever heard.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I think I remember him using the hairband when he plays slide.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
He's just so fast... When he plays the first lick slow and then is like, ok we'll speed that up a little bit

and then rockets through it, you're just left jaw hanging down :|
Quote by InTheFlesh!
He's just so fast... When he plays the first lick slow and then is like, ok we'll speed that up a little bit

and then rockets through it, you're just left jaw hanging down :|

Every time dude, every time.

Lick 5 is the one that really gets me though, I'm not sure I could play that slowly just yet; it's just mind blowing stuff.

Edit: It's a bitch to tab as well...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jul 13, 2008,
Wow, that's fucking awesome!

EDIT: This guy is amazing.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
Last edited by Guitar_Dan_666 at Jul 13, 2008,
Quote by Guitar_Dan_666
This guy is amazing.

He is indeed, one of the few people who currently register as God in my eyes and one of the very few people I would kill to see live.

For all those who are interested I've tabbed the licks he goes through and attached them. Happy practicing, especially on that 5th one

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Man, it's a wired situation for guthrie, he never seems to get the credit he deserves, you never really hear his name mentioned with the "greats", but everyone that hears him thinks he's amazing. So diverse, and seemingly a master of all styles.
simply awesome
Quote by Carter_84
Man, it's a wired situation for guthrie, he never seems to get the credit he deserves, you never really hear his name mentioned with the "greats", but everyone that hears him thinks he's amazing. So diverse, and seemingly a master of all styles.
simply awesome

Give it time; he's only got one album out, no one makes it big with the first album. I have no doubt in my mind that he will make it into the pantheon in good time.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
He did a tapping lesson in the new Guitar Techniques and at first I rolled my eyes thinking it would maybe just be Eruption rehashes(pl?) but when I listened to it, the speed, tone, versatility and originality of the feature just floored me.
Thank God im an atheist
Quote by wil
He did a tapping lesson in the new Guitar Techniques and at first I rolled my eyes thinking it would maybe just be Eruption rehashes(pl?) but when I listened to it, the speed, tone, versatility and originality of the feature just floored me.

I'll have to pick that up then; Guthrie lessons are well worth getting, even if you're already familiar with the technique, he always comes up with something I wouldn't have thought of.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I just found this on YooToob:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEaxB1Rq-mo

The intro and outro licks are sick! I have been trying to figure out what the effects are, best I can guess are Phaser & Delay, with a harmonizer (either that or its double tracked)

Is there a tab for this? I was thinking about picking up his books, are they good?
Ibanez S470 (Condor/Pyro/Warthog)
Rockafeller Custom
Laney Lionheart L20H
Framus FR212CB
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss DS-1 (Monte Allum Mod)
Boss DD-6
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone
Dunlop/MXR Phase 90 (Full Script mod)
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+
Quote by Phreaky
I just found this on YooToob:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEaxB1Rq-mo

The intro and outro licks are sick! I have been trying to figure out what the effects are, best I can guess are Phaser & Delay, with a harmonizer (either that or its double tracked)

Is there a tab for this? I was thinking about picking up his books, are they good?

I've heard nothing but good things about his creative guitar books and I'm assuming that whichever one that track is from would have a transcription of that solo in it, or at least information on his kind of thought process to write/play something like it.

I will warn you though: it's probably a lot harder than it sounds

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I've heard nothing but good things about his creative guitar books and I'm assuming that whichever one that track is from would have a transcription of that solo in it, or at least information on his kind of thought process to write/play something like it.

I will warn you though: it's probably a lot harder than it sounds

Or, as with most Govan stuff, it is as hard as it sounds - ****ing hard!

I'm hopefully going to pick these books up - am I right in thinking there are two? I can only seem to find 2 on Amazon UK.
Rockafeller Custom
Laney Lionheart L20H
Framus FR212CB
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss DD-6
Quote by Phreaky
Or, as with most Govan stuff, it is as hard as it sounds - ****ing hard!

I'm hopefully going to pick these books up - am I right in thinking there are two? I can only seem to find 2 on Amazon UK.

As far as I know, yes there are only 2. I would say though the ideas he presents probably assume a high level of technique already so if you're planning on using them as chop-building exercise books I doubt you'll have much to really work with.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Without trying to sound arrogant, my chops are pretty damn good. Its writing/improvising/composing interesting music and music theory I struggle with.
Rockafeller Custom
Laney Lionheart L20H
Framus FR212CB
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss DD-6
Quote by Phreaky
Without trying to sound arrogant, my chops are pretty damn good. Its writing/improvising/composing interesting music and music theory I struggle with.

If you say so then I don't doubt it; I was just making sure you weren't going to go out and spend money under false assumptions.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Page 1 of 2