this is the major scale right?

e|----------------------------------------------------------------|
B|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
G|--------------------------------------------------------------|
D|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
A|----------------------------------------------------------------|
E|--0-1-3-5-7-8-10-12-13-------------------------------------------------|
well it going from E G A B C D E F G

but, if i play this out on the guitar, it doesn't sound like Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Si Do.

however if i play it like this ...
e|----------------------------------------------------------------|
B|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
G|--------------------------------------------------------------|
D|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
A|----------------------------------------------------------------|
E|--0-1-3-5-6-8-10-11-13-------------------------------------------------|

it sounds like Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Si Do. And i thought that's what the major scale was supposed to sound like
You're playing a mode of the C major scale. I dont know which off the top of my head but if your looking for do re-mi etc you will want it to start on C so that you get C D E F G A B

right now your playing in E so if you want it to sound right going from E you should play

E F# G# A# B C# D#

remember the formula for constructing a major scale.
Starting from a C, that being C D E F G A B C.
If you do it from E, like you're doing, it should be E F# G# A B C# D# E.

What you were playing was nowhere near the right scale for either.
Unless you were TRYING to play C major from the 3rd.

e|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|--------------------------1--2------------------------------------|
A|---------------0--2--4--------------------------------------------|
E|---0--2---4-------------------------------------------------------|

That is E major.
..is a girl
Quote by RPGoof
WAT
How about just send a ship at the speed up light directly to the sun, and the gravity will pull it towards the sun, thus speeding it over the speed of light.

Quote by RedFez64
You're playing a mode of the C major scale. I dont know which off the top of my head but if your looking for do re-mi etc you will want it to start on C so that you get C D E F G A B

right now your playing in E so if you want it to sound right going from E you should play

E F# G# A# B C# D#

so just going open E to F G A B C D E isn't a major scale or is it that it's not supposed sound like do ray mi? b/c doing that doesnt sound like it.

Im asking this, b/c im trying to remember the notes on the low strings, so i can remember what chord is what, when im doing barre chords, so i figured learning to major scale on a single string would be helpful for that.
Last edited by lpmarshall at Jul 5, 2008,
E to F G A B C D E is C major scale but because you don't start on C it won't sound like do re mi ... you're starting on at mi fa sol...
Quote by smewings
E to F G A B C D E is C major scale but because you don't start on C it won't sound like do re mi ... you're starting on at mi fa sol...

Or it could be A Minor
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
Quote by RedFez64

E F# G# A# B C# D#

He's not playing a mode. To play modally something needs to imply some harmonic content somehow. Normally its a chord being played underneath.
And theres no A# in E major. The scale you listed there is B major.

To T/S
The first pattern you played is a major scale. But patterns arent scales, my suggestion to you is for you to learn how to construct major scales.
Read this link: http://ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html