Page 1 of 3
I was listening to Watershed by Opeth, and The Lotus Eater comes on, and while I already knew Opeth is an unbelievably unique band, the boogie break in that song at 5:52 literally made me get up and dance it was so cool, and caught me off guard so much.

What about you?
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
when i was listening to scar symmetry he was screaming liek a death metal guy then suddenly it changes to an amzing clean vox i was just gobsmacked at the fact that he could do the death metalz and some of the most amazing cleans ever
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
official /b/tard? nothing should catch you off guard dude
signed,
your favorite poster
The drums during the intro of Limelight by Rush. It puts a smile on my face.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Umm how has no one mentioned the FUCKING HOEDOWN in Ants Of The Sky by Between the Buried and Me?!?!

EDIT: Should probably also mention that creepy carnival-type part in Sun Of Nothing. In essence Between the Buried and Me pwns.
Heh, have you ever heard Burn on Deep Purple's "Made in Europe" album? That funky **** that Blackmore pulls off somewhere in the middle of the song is just ****ing unbelievably awesome. I literally sat like this in my chair when I heard it -
Quote by mrbungle50221
"Becoming The Bull" by Atreyu its completely different to their older stuffs but not in a bad way
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fa74btBwVI the riff sounds like slayer....

I think this thread is for songs that "caught you off guard" not ones that "are essentially expected after progressive pussification during the course of the past 3 albums."
The beginning riff from Pantera's "I'm Broken"

Sevendust, SOAD, and Opeth always catch me off guard switching tempos and especially Opeth going from metal to jazz or guttural vocals to clean vocals.

and Bruce Dickinson's scream on Iron Maiden's "Number of the Beast" du nu nu nu YYYYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! doesnt matter where im at, it always gets my attention and i gotta scream too
Intro to When - Opeth

It started with a clean guitar and I wasn't really paying attention. The next second there was an explosion of sound and I nearly crapped my pants.

Quote by GLP_Arclite
Every Beck song ever.

then it's the norm for him, and therefore, didn't catch you off guard. Lotus Eater cuaght me off guard because it's for the most part a metal song with some trancelike interlueds in it, and jus when it seems like the song is about to enter a crushing rhythm part, it goes to a freaking boogie.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Intro to When - Opeth

It started with a clean guitar and I wasn't really paying attention. The next second there was an explosion of sound and I nearly crapped my pants.

Is this you?
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by rcw110131
I think this thread is for songs that "caught you off guard" not ones that "are essentially expected after progressive pussification during the course of the past 3 albums."

oh aren't you original, why don't you formulate your own oppinion of a band rather than jumping on the bandwagon. i bet you are oe of those metal elitists who only listens to the most satanic death metal from the farthest reaches of Iceland, well guess what it doesnt make you cool or hardcore.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Quote by mrbungle50221
oh aren't you original, why don't you formulate your own oppinion of a band rather than jumping on the bandwagon. i bet you are oe of those metal elitists who only listens to the most satanic death metal from the farthest reaches of Iceland, well guess what it doesnt make you cool or hardcore.
dissing gang of four, defending atreyu..
epic fail.
Quote by blackflag49
dissing gang of four, defending atreyu..
epic fail.

that gang of four song was ****, annoying repetitive open chords on guitar dont require any skill whatsoever that song also had piss poor repetitive vocals, at least Atreyu has variety.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
Quote by mrbungle50221
that gang of four song was ****, annoying repetitive open chords on guitar dont require any skill whatsoever that song also had piss poor repetitive vocals, at least Atreyu has variety.

Enough flaming, else this thread will get closed.
Quote by mrbungle50221
you know what else comes in a large variety?
bird poo.

here's some joy division
http://youtube.com/watch?v=K0dfd_L4tDk
Quote by mrbungle50221

Quote by blackflag49
bird poo.

here's some joy division

Both of you idiots shut up.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by blackflag49
bird poo.

here's some joy division

thats even worse, no musical talent at all, come on the singer killed himself cos he knew how terrible his band were
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
Quote by mrbungle50221
thats even worse, no musical talent at all, come on the singer killed himself cos he knew how terrible his band were
musical talent is in the eye of the beholder... you just need glasses.
Last edited by blackflag49 at Jul 5, 2008,
When I first bought the Toxicity Album (SOAD) I had placed it in my CD player w/ the volume on max. I only heard the first power chord from Prison Song...and nothing since...
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
I always start masturbating everytime I hear the freebird solo
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
The key change in the The Drapery Falls

"Pull me down again and lead me into...AAAAAHHHHH etc.."
Idiot Pineapple wrote:

I've always held the theory that the Cold War was started because of guitar tabs.

Flickr-mus Prime
Darkshines - Muse
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
many slayer songs caught me off guard, playing some really cool riffs, but then the solo is just complete garbage of random notes being smahed on the guitar.
Quote by wemonir
official /b/tard? nothing should catch you off guard dude

what does that have to do with anything?
Quote by rcw110131
Umm how has no one mentioned the FUCKING HOEDOWN in Ants Of The Sky by Between the Buried and Me?!?!

EDIT: Should probably also mention that creepy carnival-type part in Sun Of Nothing. In essence Between the Buried and Me pwns.

That made me laugh

Unleash Hell by Vital Remains really took my by surprise in the intro

EDIT: Metallica - Blackened, it surprised me when the harmony parts stops and the main riff comes in....So much that I fell in love with Metal and guitar.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Jul 5, 2008,
When I first properly listened to Epitaph, by King Crimson.

I'd heard it before round my friends house, but I was rather drunk, so I didn't really 'listen' to it.

But yeah I then bought the album (and listened to it sober ), and I was completely blown away.
Quote by rcw110131

They didn't take me by surprise, I just thought they sounded silly and completely out of place. To me, its just like they go "Right, what shall we do here?" *throws dart at board* "Country!"

Some great songs on that album though.
Page 1 of 3