exactly what the title says!
what do you think the best les paul model is for around about the £400 mark?

J.
I've got an Epiphone Les Paul Standard that I picked up for just over £300, and I'm really happy with it; If you've got £400 to spend, i'd personally get one of those and put a new set of pickups in it. It's a great guitar to play, sounds great, even with stock pickups.
its not a les paul but try a prs se single cut, really good guitars.
^To forward that, you should be able to pick up a steal online - at G.A.K., the standard's £240, the custom's £340. Mind you, you can also pick up on the of Agile LP copies, which have a good reputation here, but I've never played. Apart from that, look at the Vintage Advance version of the LP - it's a nice looker, and the coil split'll come in dead handy. And if you want something more metal-orientated, I think the SEP ltd EC's are what you'd wanna look at - should be able to find the 200's to your liking.
I used to own an epiphone Standard (Had to sell it to keep afloat - wasn't fun. If it's still there in a few months I'll be getting it back), and they're nice guitars - got a good feel to them. TBH, I'd say if you can find a slightly older one, then go for it - there's gotta be a damn good reason why the brand's value is sinking quicker than a lead brick on the titanic
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Agile and Tokai make good les paul copies.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
iv been looking at the tokai and the epiphone, if i was to change the pickups what would be the best ones to change them to?
i play ACDC, guns n roses, led zep etc,
id also be playing through a Vox (another new purchase ima gunna pull my rents legs to do )
Seymour Duncan Custom 5/Jazzn combination for that style in a les paul.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by Kada2110
Vintage les pauls sound great and are only about 250 pounds.

http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html

+1 on that - the peter green model is £300 and is supposed to be amazing. You can get a standard v100 for about £180 and then you have a lot of money for pickups or something.
yeh for 400 quid you'll get a real good epiphone, perhaps the custom, i hear the sounds very similar to a gibson, and the quality cant be that far off
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
+1 on that - the peter green model is £300 and is supposed to be amazing. You can get a standard v100 for about £180 and then you have a lot of money for pickups or something.

They are brilliant stock as well, even just the standard ones. Seriously, get one, you can at least try one before you buy it, unlike the Agiles.

Seriously, I hate Agiles. Yup, I have played one.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by slashs_#1_fan

I played the Peter Green Vintage at the London Guitar Show. It felt pretty good, though I can't comment on it's sound, as I was hearing it through tinny head phones.
save slightly more and get a japanese-made tokai. will annihilate those epiphones.

you're talking about a LP standard, right?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
agile...best quality for the price (they dont advertise or sell through distributors, so it cuts price a lot)...great guitars though, i have a 3500
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"