I've got about $1500 on me and i am planning on getting a new guitar.

I've been wanting a Gibson Les Paul since who knows when for its amazing tone and versatility playing metal and clean, but i've also been wanting to do some divebombs with the whammy bar and do solos that require 24 frets (my current doesn't have 24 frets) so i am also considering the ESP KH-602. Obviously, the problem is i can only choose one.

ESP KH-602
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-KH602-Kirk-Hammett-Signature-Guitar?sku=516641&src=3SOSWXXA

Gibson Les Paul Studio
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar?sku=517030

Soooo.... 22 frets with an amazing sound or 24 frets with a whammy bar that has EMGs?
for versatility, i go for les paul but not the studio. for that price range, i'd get an Epiphone Elitist les paul standard or custom.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
I'd say either go with the Gibson or find a more suitable guitar with those specs, as the moment they throw the KH initials on it, the price has officially rocketed by at least 100.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Feel free to suggest a guitar with 24 frets and a whammy. I only put KH602 up there because that was the only one i researched.
Maybe look at some Ibanezes?

I would go for the Gibson, but only buy one that you played in the store and has no problems. I guess that should apply to anything considering your spending over a grand on a guitar.
Get the les paul studio, they have real good tone and are awesome at all types of music.
And if you play metal then don't get a les paul other than the studio, they have the most powerful pickups that gibson use.
Quote by slashrock94
Get the les paul studio, they have real good tone and are awesome at all types of music.
And if you play metal then don't get a les paul other than the studio, they have the most powerful pickups that gibson use.

I heard the studio has better metal tone than the classic.
Quote by Kidfadetoblack
I heard the studio has better metal tone than the classic.

Yeah, it has hotter pickups and they are also covered.
Quote by slashrock94
Yeah, it has hotter pickups and they are also covered.

Good. I guess i'm gonna have to say goodbye to 24 frets and divebombs with whammy. But i still have to decide and think hard. I mean having a Les Paul is my dream but doing whammy tricks is also my dream... Gahhh, this is hard.... why cant Gibson just create a new Les Paul with a whammy and 24 frets lol.
they make black beautys with whammys but they cost about £5000, which i think is about $10,000
Quote by slashrock94
they make black beautys with whammys but they cost about £5000, which i think is about $10,000

they're not made with a whammy bar. it's a bigsby. it's not for divebombs and stuff. it's only for vibrato.
Quote by Kidfadetoblack
Good. I guess i'm gonna have to say goodbye to 24 frets and divebombs with whammy. But i still have to decide and think hard. I mean having a Les Paul is my dream but doing whammy tricks is also my dream... Gahhh, this is hard.... why cant Gibson just create a new Les Paul with a whammy and 24 frets lol.

Doesn't Buckethead play something like that?
look into maybe an explorer by esp...it's great for metal and has a whammy for divebombs....plus it has a nice warm tone similar to the les paul. i own a lp studio and it's really a nice guitar, great for everything from metal to blues. the bridge pickup has nice harmonic response so u can do some zakk wylde stuff no problem.
Quote by BrockTandem
Doesn't Buckethead play something like that?

if i am correct, it's not a regular production line nor a custom shop gibson. it's a luthier modded les paul.
Quote by bestscorer
look into maybe an explorer by esp...it's great for metal and has a whammy for divebombs....plus it has a nice warm tone similar to the les paul. i own a lp studio and it's really a nice guitar, great for everything from metal to blues. the bridge pickup has nice harmonic response so u can do some zakk wylde stuff no problem.

You talking about this Explorer?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Dan-Jacobs-EX?sku=516783

That was the only ESP Explorer i could find with a whammy. It has a nice design too.
save up a little more and get a jackson sl1 soloist. Best guitar ive ever played, and ive played all the high end guitars. It has 3 humbuckers (middle and neck are stacked humbuckers that look just like sc's) so much tonal variety you'll never get bored. Its tone is amazing and clear, and it has about the same sustain abilities as a les paul. $1799 at guitar center.
Buckethead's guitar is a custom shop Les Paul, it doesn't have a whammy, it might have 24 frets, not sure. Also his guitar one has 1 volume and 1 tone pot, the other two pots were replaces with the pickup selector and a killswitch.
TS, you can buy a les paul, although you wont get the 24 frets, and put a Stetsbar in it.
Try to pick up a used Gibson Classic or Standard model. I certainly have no regrets.
The LTD M-1000 is pretty much the exact same thing as the KH-602, except it doesn't have Kirk's iniatials and is $200 cheaper. Also check out the the MH-1000, which has a mahogony body and might be the best of both worlds.

Mh-1000

M-1000
I need to visit a guitar shop and try all these guitars lol. Too bad Guitar Center doesn't carry ESP's. Ill try Sam Ash.
I thought ESP made Eclipse guitars with Floyds? hmm.

Well might i suggest an ESP Horizon series guitar? They look like they would have some nice versatility tone wise, and you can buy them with Floyd Rose systems. i dont think they make it a Floyd +SD pickup combo, though

Ibanez make some pretty versatile instruments too, but nothing except for Les Paul shaped guitars will really get the les paul tone. some will come close though.