and now my tremolo is dodgy.

i bought a set of Ernie Ball Slinkys - gauge .10 ... changed all of the strings, etc etc.

before i changed the strings, the trem was floating (ish), like this..

but now its like this, like right back against the body, and i have no idea how to get it to how it was before.

help is appreciated

thanks.
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
if you have a floating trem you need it set up for a specific gauge of string - different gauges have different tensions so I think you need to adjust the claw that grabs the springs at the back.

I had a floyd on one of my guitars but i always took it to a shop to get it set up
Quote by BluesShredUK
if you have a floating trem you need it set up for a specific gauge of string - different gauges have different tensions so I think you need to adjust the claw that grabs the springs at the back i think.

I had a floyd on one of my guitars but i always took it to a shop to get it set up

its not a floyd, its just a squier/fender type bridge, but the tremolo can go up and down, so i call it floating . and i went to the shop to ask about changing the strings themselves to see if there was anything i needed to be wary of, but he never mentioned that this might happen. and claw at the back? explain plz

Quote by cornmancer
your tremolos are held tight by springs. Open your guitar at the back and change the spring tension untill they float again.
The reason this has happened is because the new strings have another tention than the old ones.
Strat type bridges arent meant to float. If you want it to, loosen the screws on the claw in the back
Quote by Base Ics
your tremolos are held tight by springs. Open your guitar at the back and change the spring tension untill they float again.
The reason this has happened is because the new strings have another tention than the old ones.

aha, thanks ill go and have a look....

right, more confusing diagrams..

this is inside my guitar...well, a representation. do i turn those two yellow things (which are meant to be screws) to change the tension?

Quote by cornmancer
Last edited by Hoodoo Child at Jul 5, 2008,
Quote by littlephil
Strat type bridges arent meant to float. If you want it to, loosen the screws on the claw in the back

Strat type bridges are meant to float and Fender even has docs on how to set them up for it. Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Ritchie Blackmore and many more have always had their Fender trems set up to float.

To adjust the Fender trem to float you need to loosen the two screws that hold the spring claw but before you do that it is a good idea to place a shim about 4mm underneath the back of the bridge (between the bridge and body) and loosen the claw screws till the bridge clamps on the shim. Then tune up guitar to concert pitch. Make sure the bridge is still clamped on the shim and if it isn't loosen or tighten the claw screws so the bridge clamps back down. If the guitar is in tune and the bridge hasn't moved off the shim, pull out the shim and check to see if the bridge stays in place (about 1/8 inch from the body at the back) and is still in tune. Fine tune it and make any small adjustments to the bridge checking to make sure the bridge stays about 1/8 inch.

Edit: Whenever strings are changed to a different gauge and even sometimes to the same gauge but different brand the Fender bridge will need to be reset up to float.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Last edited by shredder.cheese at Jul 5, 2008,
thanks everyone, my trem is back to normal now

Quote by cornmancer