The thing I have a big problem with in this song is the damned intro.. how should I play it with down and upstrokes (song by Paul Gilbert)?

Should I play like:

down down up down down up

And so on.. or should I do all with down down down?
The scales pieces are easy but the riff itself beats me down..
OK, I started learning the song yesterday and got the first like 50 bars down.. it's just the intro part with the riffs that I tend to get lost at sometimes. :P
I found accenting the notes on the 5th string helped for the 1st part of the riff; notice how they use a different stroke every time.
Call me Batman.
Except that It should be accenting notes on the 4th string

D'OH, you're right. I was thinking the palm-muted notes were played on the 6th for some reason.
Call me Batman.
When my guitar teacher taught me, He played up down down up down down. I couldn't really get that, so I do all downs. I can't really get up to speed with all downs though.
When the power of love overcomes the love for power, the world will know peace. ~Jimi Hendrix
General rule: all of Paul Gilbert's fast picking is straight alternate picking.

Most of his legato patterns use weird picking, though that's usually just to make it easier to use outside picking, rather than economy picking.
Quote by tracerbeast
Its ALL alternate picking. The intro is probably the easiest part of the song

alt pickin' ftw
hue
It is possible to alt pick everything in the intro. It is also possible to pick it every way imaginable, it just depends on how you want it to sound. I alternate pick it, but a friend of mine who prefers a chunkier sound downpicks it all the way.
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
I alternate pick the 16th notes, and econ pick the triplets. Then the crazy triplet section comes in, and I just sell my guitar on ebay cuz... I can't really do that. But i'm getting there...