I just started guitar lessons with a teacher (after 3 years of being self taught ). Anyways, he's been teaching me jazz, so obviously we've started with some jazz chords, and what better way to practice chords than by playing a song which has the chords? Well, he gave me the sheet music for a song called Gentle Rain. Now, I'm just a little confused while playing it because although I play all the chords in the positions he gave me and shapes and all, some of the chords just don't sound right together. There may also be some confusion because when I photocopied the sheet music, my printer was out of ink so I may be reading some of them wrong. Anyways, I just wanna make sure I'm playing the correct chords.

Here are some of the chords, and how I play them:

Bm7b5               E7                   B7b9              
     W                   W                    W                 
E||-------------------|--4----------------|--10----------------|
B||--3----------------|--3----------------|---9----------------|
G||--2----------------|--4----------------|--10----------------|
D||--3----------------|--2----------------|---9----------------|
A||--2----------------|-------------------|--------------------|
E||-------------------|-------------------|--------------------|

A7b9                Dm7b5              
  W                   W                  
--8----------------|--4----------------||
--7----------------|--3----------------||
--8----------------|--5----------------||
--7----------------|--0----------------||
-------------------|-------------------||
-------------------|-------------------||

Are they correct?
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

Well some of them are off.

The 1st chord is Dm with an added 6th so its a Dm6
2nd chord is correct as E7
3rd chord is defiantly a diminished chord so it could be anything from B,F,D or G# diminished most like the Bdim
4th chord is the another diminished and could be A,C,D# or F# diminished most likely Adim
and the final 5th chord is the one i aint sure about sorry.
Quote by Axe Samurai
The 1st chord is Dm with an added 6th so its a Dm6

It's also Bm7b5.
ahh rite on 1st glance i thought it said Em7b5. but whatever i think Dm6 is probably a more simplified way to describe Bm7b5 for some people like.
^ In the context of the song, Bm7b5 describes more accurately what's being played. It may be a substitute for Bdim or B7, so to call it Dm6 could actually be a more complicated way of looking at it.
This is how I see it:

B D F A Bm7b5 Correct

E G# B D E7 Correct

B D F Ab Incorrect.. I'm not sure how one could get B7b9 out of that.. but it should be Bdim7

A C Eb Gb Same with the previous one, just all voices a whole step down.. Adim7

D C D Ab Dm7b5 This one is correct Ab is the b5 and C is the m7, there's no 3 but it could be expressed in other voices.. or left ambiguous for a reason.

Since you are paying for a teacher.. I'd suggest asking him why these chords are written as they are.. and if they're right. Ask him to explain them to you.. why they are as they are.

And they may sound funny since I think that some (most) jazz progressions do. They're just not like most music you hear. Or it could be cause they're wrong.
Nor less I deem that there are Powers
Which of themselves our minds impress;
That we can feed this mind of ours
In a wise passiveness.
--Wordsworth

last.fm
Like I said, I screwed up the photocopy so that's why I wanna make sure what I have is correct...And yea next lesson is monday and he said we were gonna have a big discussion about the chords and stuff...but right now I'm just worried about playing them correctly.

So what would a B7b9 or A7b9 look like exactly?

^^ With all degrees present.. this is the best way I could think of to play it:

B D# F# A C

-8 C
-7 F#
-8 D#
-7 A
-9 F#
-7 B

For A7b9, obviously just shift it down two frets.

You could leave out the F# (the 5th degree) to make a more playable shape.. or perhaps the 1 but the rest of the degrees will need to be present in some voice or another (maybe the bass plays the 3, or something like that.)
Nor less I deem that there are Powers
Which of themselves our minds impress;
That we can feed this mind of ours
In a wise passiveness.
--Wordsworth

last.fm
I see...that's actually the shape he gave me except without the 6th and 5th strings. I thought I had something wrong because he ommitted the B which actually gave it the name B7b9. However, even so when I play the actual song I found that if I replace the B7b9 with a C#7b9 and the A7b9 with a B7b9 it all sounds a lot better...also I like replacing the Dm7b5 right after it with another chord...I know a bit of about how chords are named but I'm not very proficient at it, so I'm gonna take a guess at the name and hope I'm right (you'll tell me). I think it's a Dm7:

D C D A

http://www.jazzpla.net/G/GentleRain.htm

Here's the sheet music if you need it.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Well that's the melody but it's in a different key, and the chords are different....thanks though!

It's not hard to transpose.

After reading, Thursdae is right. If you have any questions i could help too. I don't know too much about jazz but i could help with chord construction.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Thanks COuld you help me with the name of that chord I posted up there? I think it was D C D A

D C D A

Would be Dmin7 with no 3rd

min7 = 1, b3, 5, b7

In D... 1=D, 2=E, 3= F#, 4=G, 5=A, 6=B, 7=C#

take the 1, 3, 5, and 7 out... D, F#, A, C#

add the necessary changes to make it min7 (b3 and b7)...

and you get Dmin7... D, F, A, C

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
One thing that people seem to have missed so far is the voicings you've been given for B7b9 and A7b9 are correct, but are missing their roots, which is not too rare. 7b9's are very often thought of as dim7's rooted on one of the non-root degrees of the 7b9.
Quote by grampastumpy
One thing that people seem to have missed so far is the voicings you've been given for B7b9 and A7b9 are correct, but are missing their roots, which is not too rare. 7b9's are very often thought of as dim7's rooted on one of the non-root degrees of the 7b9.

B, F, C#, D make a B7b9 chord? I thought it was B, D#, F#, A, C?

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
B, F, C#, D make a B7b9 chord? I thought it was B, D#, F#, A, C?
Oh crap. I misread it as Bb7b9. Woops.

But yeah, my point still stands about A7b9.