So anyways, I like this pickup. But how would it sound in a mahogany bodied guitar with a maple cap? Is it too hot for cleans? No matter how much I research, I always get mixed information. I don't play metal that much unless I'm goofing off or coming up with riffs to go with shredding.
Well, I hear Slash used to use them, as well as many many others, so listen to his cleans.

It should be a good pickup for everything, although you should try it in a similar guitar, or just put one in yours and test it out.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I have it in my Les Paul special, mahogay body, but no maple top, I think it sound good.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
I don't feel like getting one and returning it if I don't like it. I don't have the money. Slash's cleans were pretty good considering. I might like it after all. I just don't want the cleans to breakup too early, and I want the lead tone to be great.
It sucks ass for cleans, but it excels at distorted tones. I think it's one of, if not the most popular Duncan pickup. Any guitar that comes stock with duncans probably comes with a JB.
I'd say it has a very tight tone, with plenty of midrange. It gives a very crunchy sound, with a fair amount of attack to it. It can do anything from classic rock to punk to death metal if you need it to.

Slash doesn't use JB's. He uses Alnico Pro II pickups. They're different. They're not as hot, and warmer sounding.
Slash uses Alnico II's, not JB's.

Edit--i shoulda read the whole thread, someone already said that.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
That's what I thought^^^. I wasn't paying attention. Well the Alnico ll's are more expensive and not as hot as I'd like. Are the cleans really all that bad? I guess I could use the neck pickup...or the middle setting...
Quote by sg4ever
That's what I thought^^^. I wasn't paying attention. Well the Alnico ll's are more expensive and not as hot as I'd like. Are the cleans really all that bad? I guess I could use the neck pickup...or the middle setting...

I dunno anything about Alnico II's except for the fact that slash uses em. And you probably should be using the neck or middle setting for cleans, but it depends on the pickups.

Basically, I started a thread one time asking about versatile pickups to replace my stock p'ups. I was recommended the JB, cause they can do everything. But look further. In my research, the '59, Pearly Gates, and many others seemed to be pretty versatile.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Last edited by BD 425 at Jul 5, 2008,
Quote by sg4ever
So anyways, I like this pickup. But how would it sound in a mahogany bodied guitar with a maple cap? Is it too hot for cleans? No matter how much I research, I always get mixed information. I don't play metal that much unless I'm goofing off or coming up with riffs to go with shredding.

The duncan Custom 5 is more what you're looking for.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
yar, +1 to the custom 5

also new amp and would help, im such an ass at this.
Idk if it would break up early but if it does just roll back the volume almost all the way.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
So the Custom 5 is more my speed? I hear good stuff about that as well. Does anyone else agree with these two people? Or what about the SH-14 this person just now suggested?
I liked the JB more than the Custom 5, the C5 didn't have enough character to it.
Here's a little thing I recorded last week:
http://flossman.org/band/Into%20Dust%20Jam.mp3
Both the clean and dirty are JBs. The clean rhythm is a strat with a JB and the crunch is a Les Paul.
The trick to the JB is that you have to adjust the pole pieces properly, and get a proper tone cap. The cleans are very good (as you can hear) if you have a decent tone control to turn down, which a lot of people overlook.
The JB is quiet trebby, sounds great with some gain. I found myself playing with it mostly on my last guitar.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R