Hey all, I recently changed my strings on my strat, being forced to used .09 gauge super bullets, and now I'm having issues. 2 days or so after I changed them my G string has become all crappy and filled with gunk and turned to a darker color because of all the stuff on it. Now, I tried to ignore this, but now its been like 2 weeks and its slowly starting to happen to by B and E strings as well. This has never happened to me before in my 3 years of playing, and never with these strings that I've been using for about a year either. Does anyone know why this is happening or how to fix it?
Listen to my songs, but only if you are prepared for the greatest experience of your life .
get stainless strings if that bothers you.
It's normal tho.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by GoDrex
happens with me with bullets too - - I'm not thrilled with these strings. The plain ones turn black right away.

Yeah I'm really not either, they do turn black right away and its really cheap.

And I realize this is normal, I'm just wondering why it happens so quickly, but it must be the strings I guess.

EDIT: Does anybody know how I can fix my guitar so I can use D'Addarios instead of these Bullets?
Listen to my songs, but only if you are prepared for the greatest experience of your life .
Last edited by RHCPguitarist4 at Jul 5, 2008,
Clean your strings after your play.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Buy some decent strings?
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by RHCPguitarist4
EDIT: Does anybody know how I can fix my guitar so I can use D'Addarios instead of these Bullets?

1 - Buy new strings.
2 - Change strings
3 - ????
4 - Profit.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
ok if its a soft tail then bring it to a shop so they can set it up for what ever strings u want cause if u switch gauge on softails u have to adjust (think thats right spelling but im havin a brain fart) a **** load of stuff which can be annoying if u dont kjnow how other wise if its just a hard tail just change em
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
The fender strings seem to corrode faster than some other brands. Could just be they disagree with your skin chemistry. And the stainless stings wont solve the problem as only the wound strings are stainless wrapped. The plain strings are still gonna be nickel plated steel.
This happened to me with Fender strings too and always the G string would darken the fastest, I used the .09s ball ends on my tele. I recently started using D'Addario EXL120 Nickel Super Light Strings, and those have lasted much longer without corroding plus I like the tone better. Although they do cost more but hey I went from replacing my strings every month to every other month.
Rudeboy out!
Quote by Tackleberry
The fender strings seem to corrode faster than some other brands.

definitely faster than D'addarios - - I use both. I use the bullets on my strat because they worked better with the standard bridge. I bought a bunch of packs so I'm trying to use them up. I upgraded my bridge so I think D'addarios will work OK with it now.