I searched on the first page of the thread, but I couldn't be asked to search through like the 20+ pages on there, sorry.

I'm going to purchase new tubes for my Fender Blues Junior, and I was wondering two things:

1. Are the Groove Tube Gold Series good power tubes to use?
2. What does the "GT Rating" mean? Is it how prone the tubes are to distortion?

I want tubes that'll give me the most amount of clean before distorting, I play in a band that gets very loud and we're more of a clean band.
I'd personally go with JJ EL-84's... Groove Tubes are just rebranded versions of other tubes, so they're kind of a hit or miss thing from what I understand.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I'd personally go with JJ EL-84's... Groove Tubes are just rebranded versions of other tubes, so they're kind of a hit or miss thing from what I understand.

I second the JJ's, I use them in my Valve junior. But I have to disagree on the Groove Tubes, I think you mean Ruby Tubes.
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
I thought the preamp tubes were the rebranded ones?

Anyway, from what I've seen on the guitar center website, they don't seem to carry JJs, and (blush), I doubt my parents would let me get something so "trivial" off Ebay.
GT rebrands their preamp tubes and makes somwehat expensive, overpriced poweramp tubes.

You won't really increase your headroom any... You can smooth out your amp and make it chimier by switching to 5751/12AT7s in the preamp but they only really serve to decrease gain, improve character and give the illusion of more headroom.

JJ power tubes would be good. I'd try and grab some NOS Mullard 12AT7s or JAN 5751s for your preamp.

Get them off a real site, not GC. www.thetubestore.com
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Best place to get JJ's is www.eurotubes.com

That's where I ordered mine, and it will be to your house within 2-3 days. The owner even sends you a personal email, telling you that its being packed up and shipped out.
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Call or email mike at KCANOStubes.com and ask for Mullard 12AT7s and a pair of "cold" JJ EL84s.