Hey. I play a lot of metal, and obviously I use a lot of pinch harmonics. I can do it fine on the fourth and fifth strings, but on the other ones (first, second, third, sixth), I have a lot of trouble. I may be doing the whole thing wrong. Any help? Any tips? Thanks.

-Nick
Gear:
Gibson SG Standard (tuned to Standard E)
Dean Razorback DB (tuned to Standard C)
Schecter OMEN-7 (tuned to 7-string Standard B)
Line 6 Spider II 212W
Digitech RP80
Yeah practice makes perfect... that's so funny how finnicky Pinch's can be. I'm alot better at pinch harmonics on the top 4 strings for sure, the fat ones give me the most trouble...
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
Just gotta move around between the pickups and find out where they are for your guitar. Also make sure as you dig into the string that you don't make "too much" contact with the fleshy part of your thumb and end up muting the harmonic.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Quote by MadMudgeN
Yeah practice makes perfect... that's so funny how finnicky Pinch's can be. I'm alot better at pinch harmonics on the top 4 strings for sure, the fat ones give me the most trouble...

I hear that. On one of my guitars I cannot get a pinch harmonic anywhere on the low E, no matter what angle I dig at or how much gain I have.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
practice. i have no problem doing pinches on the 3-6 strings(yes, the fat ones), though pretty much impossible for me to do pinches on the first two strings.
Enough pinch harmonic threads already! Use the search bar, and practise.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Quote by MadMudgeN

that's weird, i can do em on the bottom 4 strings, not the skinny ones
I get them REALLY easy on low E and G. I've heard that they're almost impossible on the high E and for some reason, I have trouble on the A.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
The trick to nailing them in all strings is first learning your nodes.
I rock the pick back for the low E, and forward for the rest of the strings.
Using the right amount of pick and thumb helps. You want a heavy hand on the low strings and a light hand on the highs. That's why some people have difficulty with different strings.
You really gotta beat the crap out of the low E and you have to be gentle with the high e.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
There's two things at work here.
First of all, harmonics are, by design, easier to get on fatter strings. Assuming your technique stays the same all across the fretboards, pinch harmonics will invariably be easier on the lower strings.
What seems to be happening though, and this happens to a lot of people who get frustrated with pinch harmonics, is that as they move up or down the strings the composure of their hand changes ever so subtly and that causes them to lose the ability to perform pinch harmonics on certain strings. As everyone else in this thread stated, it's just a matter of practice and identifying where the problem is. Know that, though, it is always harder to produce pinch harmonics on the thinner strings.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence