Poll: which one?
Poll Options
View poll results: which one?
gibson sg faded special
7 50%
epiphone g-400 custom 3pup
7 50%
Voters: 14.
i am looking at a few sg's at the moment, and i am torn between the epiphone g-400 custom, or the gibson sg faded special. here is what i have come up so far, but i have not gotten to play either of these at a guitar store just yet, im trying to gather opinions first, or certain things to look for when im trying them.

epi:
looks AMAZING
3 pickups will let me put in 2 very different bridge pickups and have ultra versatility
neck binding

gibson:
higher build quality (?)
better electronics
better hardware

thats all i have right now. also keep in mind, no matter which i get, i will probably replace the pickups, so those need not to consider in this decision. im also trying not to let the name on the head sway me at all either way.
and i kno this has been done a million times and im sorry, but im looking for in depth and legit reasonings, PLEASE just dont say..."uhh epi ftw noob", i want reasons.

thanks all
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Last edited by xxunder-takerxx at Jul 5, 2008,
check the iommi model. Got one and it owns
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Last edited by black-sabbath at Jul 5, 2008,
i would get the gibson, but since you are going to mod the epiphone, it a tough choice. the epi would look cool with different pickps
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
ok man the only dif between the gibson faded and the standered are the inlays and the fact that its not finished or polished are lack of a better term. all the same pups same wiring and every thing that actually contributes to sound are the same
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by black-sabbath
I like the Epi better, it feels better. and I've heard before "high end epiphone>low-end gibson."

I've heard it too, the High-end Epiphone's trump Low-end Gibson's.. allegedly..
the epi would be better if you got new pots and pickups and grover tuners and got it set up obviously
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 81TW/89
Fender 60th Anniversary Strat with Gibson P/Us
Line 6 Spider III half stack
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP50
I've played a number of faded models and I was not a fan of most of them, but some of them played great. The fact is with the Faded line the quality assurance is definitely lower than it is with a $3000 Gibson and that's inherent with the way the guitar market works. I would suggest to you that you get a high-end Epiphone that you've played before so that you know it's good.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
so i just read the post and u said ur gonna switch the pups but unless ur sure ur gonna do that then put eather the 57' gibson pups, pearly gates cant think of the brand , or the Iommi pups
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
heh..its 4/4

they will both be modded no matter which i get, so its mostly a matter of electronics (not including pickups) and build quality.

i dont like the iommi sig model just for the fact that its a sig model, i wana make my own original look

as far as what pups will go in, thats a whole nother debate in itself haha, im trying to pick just the guitar right now.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Low-end Gibsons have crap quality control. Don't be paying for the name on the headstock - just get the Epiphone.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
its looking like a toss up, i guess ill just have to see which i like myself.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
dude somin to think bout the epipi customs is that their just "dressed up" epipi standereds with gold on the pups that will eventually come off and stuff like that not really improved in any way but an extra pup
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by sandman-105
dude somin to think bout the epipi customs is that their just "dressed up" epipi standereds with gold on the pups that will eventually come off and stuff like that not really improved in any way but an extra pup

i understand that, but that extra pickup would do me lots of good, ie, i could put a super distortion in the bridge and like a jb in the middle and almost have 2 guitar types in 1 guitar (especially because this will be my one and only guitar for quite some time).
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30