hey

Some idiot at my school decided to mess around with my ibanez , took some screws out, and ended up chipping a hell lot of wood and paint off.
as i just payed out £200 getting it setup and pickups changed, this has really pissed me off.
Just exactly how hard it it to repair a polyurethane finish?
ive took it back to the repair shop where i've had all my other guitars done as he does a amazing job, hes a luither too.

He said that polyurethane doesn't blend with itself properly, so it will still be noticeable, but he said he'll make it look as good as he can.

So, How hard is it to do?, as i have just acquired a Schecter Avenger Hellraiser that has quite abit of damage (doesn't affect play) for a very discounted price, brand new from Soundcontrol UK, which is now called Reverb

Thanks in advance
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Last edited by Dust_to_Dust at Jul 5, 2008,
would it be very noticeable?

as on the schecter theres quite alot of chipped off finish.
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
still better then bare wood showing through though.
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
It sucks when an immaculate guitar that you cherished like the ibanez is ruined, and I'm sure with a lot of experience your tech will do a pretty darn good job. Personally, I say why worry about the hellraiser? Doing it yourself will not turn out well, especially if you have no background in finish work. I say leave it as is and just consider it as a well-used guitar with a lot of character. Scrapes and bruises suck when they happen to a new axe, but they can be pretty awesome on one that you've had with your for a long time, just think of the hellraiser as having a head start.
true, but its right next to the alabone (sp?) binding, and im worried about it getting further damaged
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
did you kill the idiot?
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
i would leave the schecter as is, keep it ugly, its an ugly guitar anyways. the ibanez, if it means alot to you or something, i would just have it repaired. if he matches the color right, you will barely be able to tell, only when light hits it.
Quote by walker-rose
did you kill the idiot?

don't know who did it, its probably a chav though, it seems like something that they would do.
but if i find out who did it, ill make sure i hurt them
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by Dust_to_Dust
don't know who did it, its probably a chav though, it seems like something that they would do.
but if i find out who did it, ill make sure i hurt them

hahahahahahah thats funny as ****.
Right on man, no self respecting person should do that to a guitar.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
its gonna cost about £50 - £60 to get the ibanez repaired.

So don't bother with the schecter?
how about treating it or something to stop it getting further damaged?
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Find out who did it and sue them for the cost of the guitar, plus grief and suffering. That's the "American" in me coming out...
Quote by Dreamality
Find out who did it and sue them for the cost of the guitar, plus grief and suffering. That's the "American" in me coming out...

hahahaaaa!!!!!!

to be honest though, the schecter isn't an ugly guitar IMO, im going to get it set up in the following weeks by the luiter too, so i'll talk to him about it.
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Last edited by Dust_to_Dust at Jul 5, 2008,
Just sand down the Schecter and re-finish it yourself.
Voodoo Fest 2008 <3

Quote by DieGarbageMan
SILENCE.

SURSKIT DECIDES YOUR GENDER NOW.
Quote by Dust_to_Dust
its gonna cost about £50 - £60 to get the ibanez repaired.

So don't bother with the schecter?
how about treating it or something to stop it getting further damaged?

If the Schecter has a Poly coat, too, you can definitely repair it yourself.

Check out the new (as in the past year) water-based MinWax Brush on Poly. Use a small brush to fill in the dent/gouge; build it up so it's higher than the surrounding clear. Wait a day, the Poly will dry and shrink; then start filling it again with the Poly to a level higher than the surrounding. Do this and wait a day between application.

Once it stops shrinking below the surrounding level, wait another day and start sanding gently, all the way to 4000 grit. Then buff/polish with 3M Finesse It II, available at car or marine shops. I've done this to an inexpensive Squier and it's hardly noticeable unless you look for it in the sunlight.

Good Luck!

ive just got the ibanez back, hes done an amazing job on it, its just a tad bit darker where its been repaired.
only noticeable when up close

Thanks Everyone
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page