Page 1 of 6
I've been noticing around a lot of record stores where I live that lately, there is a ton of vinyl records being sold. I recently got a turntable myself to see what all of it was about. Personally I love the way vinyl sounds against CDs or mp3s; when you're listening to a vinyl record (especially older ones) you get the feeling like this is how it's supposed to sound. Listening to Who's Next right now and it's a hundred times better than CD or mp3.

Any one know of any newer albums that are better on vinyl?
The new remastered Dark Side of The Moon on vinyl is the shiz.

I own more than 4000 vinyls altogether
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by mr. mojo risin'

Everything.

I personally own about 12 vinyls, but my dad has like a thousand.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by mr. mojo risin'

The Raconteurs, the Black Keys, The White Stripes, Shine a light soundtrack...There's tons.
Everything is seriously better on vinyl. The fidelity is higher than even 24-bit mastering can produce.
Tiger style.
O.K. CDs, mp3s, Ipods or whatever trendy crap comes out now for music will ALWAYS be dog**** compared to vinyl. Why oh why did they discontiue vinyl as the standard music format?

I say let the mallcore babies have their nice little Ipods I will be listening to the way albums were supposed to be heard via my LPs + Pioneer wax ocilator!
I just Got Opeth's newest Album on LP vynal it sounds great
ive been getting really interested in vinyl myself. sounds so great. luckly there are a lot of places to buy around here.
Quote by kevinm4435
Everything is seriously better on vinyl. The fidelity is higher than even 24-bit mastering can produce.
No it isn't. Things are usually mixed better for vinyl than CD, but if you put the same mix on a CD and on a record then the CD will reproduce it better.
Most of the bands I listen to don't release on vinyl/release limited amounts and thus they've become very expensive. I do have one though, a signed Racecar is Racecar Backwards by Reuben. Awesome.
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
Quote by smb
No it isn't. Things are usually mixed better for vinyl than CD, but if you put the same mix on a CD and on a record then the CD will reproduce it better.

Wrong, vinyl is uncompressed music unlike CDs.
Quote by master
Wrong, vinyl is uncompressed music unlike CDs.
You're wrong. Music is compressed when it's mixed for vinyl too. The fact that most CDs are overcompressed isn't the fault of the format - they don't have to be that way.
I love the way vinyl's sound, but keep in mind that most music is mixed on digital audio workstations anyway. Mastering is also done with a mix of digital and analog equipment.
Quote by TastyMooglePie
Rape everyone involved: the girlfriend, the mom, the dad, and throw in the dog for good measure.

Quote by Prankster1990
NoFX_Fan182 is awesome mkay. He just rocks my socks
Quote by meh17
All my locals have stopped selling vinyls

There are tons of websites where you can find 'em. Try classicrecords.com, or just look around I'm sure you'll be able to find something.

I was in France a couple months ago and went to this huge fleamarket in Paris. Anyway, while there I found two original prints of Tommy and Quadrophenia. I was ****in stoked to be able to play them.
My mom has the Grease soundtrack on vinyl and several others hidden away. and my brother bought Viva la Vida on vinyl.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
Quote by smb

QFT. I love vinyl and own quite a few LPs and 45s that listen too as often as I can, but trying to quantify the debate is pointless. CDs are always better if you want accurate reproduction. Vinyl sounds "better" and "warmer" because of the subtle distortion and lack of extreme highs, and vinyl releases are usually mastered better than their respective CDs.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by We'realltoBlame
My mom has the Grease soundtrack on vinyl and several others hidden away. and my brother bought Viva la Vida on vinyl.

whoa your mom has that too?

i just dug up my mom's vinyl and there are like 20 so i went to the local used book store and they had a bunch of records for 3-10 dollars, the hard part ws getting the record player to work
Quote by mr. mojo risin'
There are tons of websites where you can find 'em. Try classicrecords.com, or just look around I'm sure you'll be able to find something.

I was in France a couple months ago and went to this huge fleamarket in Paris. Anyway, while there I found two original prints of Tommy and Quadrophenia. I was ****in stoked to be able to play them.

I know where you can get them online, but its sad they don't sell them in shops.
I actually also just bought Viva La Vida on vinyl. It comes with a CD insert too which is nice I suppose. In this case I find that both the LP and the CD are about the same in quality, they're just a little different.

Also, just put on Quadrophenia; a million times better! You can hear the horns, piano, and acoustic guitars so much better than on CD, and you don't lose any of the synth, guitar, vocals. The drums and bass come off much better too. It's much more of an experience than listening to it on CD.
Quote by mr. mojo risin'
I actually also just bought Viva La Vida on vinyl. It comes with a CD insert too which is nice I suppose. In this case I find that both the LP and the CD are about the same in quality, they're just a little different.

Also, just put on Quadrophenia; a million times better! You can hear the horns, piano, and acoustic guitars so much better than on CD, and you don't lose any of the synth, guitar, vocals. The drums and bass come off much better too. It's much more of an experience than listening to it on CD.

Ahh, I love The Who, how much did that set you back?
Quote by meh17
Ahh, I love The Who, how much did that set you back?

Not much. Only about thirteen euros in the market I was in. However, it is pretty shoddy condition. The book falls out, the discs have left huge dents on the outside of the sleeve, the sleeve is also a bit out of shape. However the album plays so whatever.
I'm going to get the quadrophenia record sometime, have it on CD and its epic.

I picked up "Sweet Harmony" by liquid the other day, **** remixes, but the song is a classic.
I've just began collecting records.

A few of my favorites that ive found are dark side of the moon, wish you were here, led zeppelin II and IV, Sgt Pepper, and the doors' self titled.

i probably have about 20 total though.
for the first few months i had to use this ****ty record player that i got for free from my old school.
but then i got a nice new one as an early birthday present, and i've fallen in love with the sound of vinyl compared to mp3s
Quote by nt1440
thats true, i hate kids who go "oh noess limewire is soo bad, viruses everywhere crashed my computer, had to buy a new one" well mayb thatll teach u that the a song isnt 112 kb and named cute_teen_has_orgasm_on_webcam_xxx
^^I've been looking all over for The Doors, just can't seem to find it. I bet there are some places around Berklee I could find it, though. I just started myself as well. I only have about five of my own unfortunately but my dad has a whole shelf of them I could probably take at his house.
I only have a few new vinyls, like a few clear coloured ones, and a picture disc, but most of the vinyls are old ones that were my parents'.

Quote by We'realltoBlame

Ditto, it's in my room tucked by the side of my record player

Along with a few Eurythmics albums, Ultravox, Adam and the Ants, and a few vinyl singles
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
I just recently got sgt. peppers on vinyl pre apple
so its actually a capital recording record
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
Quote by reedplaysgeetar
I just recently got sgt. peppers on vinyl pre apple
so its actually a capital recording record
It sold 30 million copies. It's nothing rare.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
O.K. CDs, mp3s, Ipods or whatever trendy crap comes out now for music will ALWAYS be dog**** compared to vinyl. Why oh why did they discontiue vinyl as the standard music format?

Because its gigantic and is easily ruined. Doesn't produce any more frequencies (that you can pick up) than an MP3 at 320 kpbs or even a .wav, so I don't see why you all think they sound better.
i have about 50 vinyls in all. I bought some really good ones on ebay, I got a pink floyd picture disc promoting the live album "Is there anybody out there?", I got the echoes: best of pink floyd on vinyl. I have the doors self titled, the soft parade, waiting for the sun, the who's tommy, bob seger's live bullet, the wall (need a new copy because I got one that was heavily damaged.), well I got a whole bunch. I spent 60 bucks on a roger waters live vinyl from his radio kaos tour, 60 bucks on the echoes set too. I have a sony turntable, which i use alot. My dad has alot of vinyl I take from him and he's happy to give it to me because he told me he has no use in it.
"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join

love The Evil Dead films? Join my group: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/boomstick/

Quote by pepsi1187
not to mention herbert from family guy will touch you in your sleep
I have a fairly decent record collection.

All Things Must Pass - George Harrison, the original UK pressing. Mint condition boxset.
Loveless - My Blood Valentine - Rare edition, 1000 copies made, got the 437 one.
Kind Of Blue - Miles Davies
Bitches Brew - Miles Davies, again another original pressing.
The Live Adventures of - Al Kooper and Mike Bloomsfield
Animals, Meddle, A Nice Pair - Pink Floyd
Songs In The Key Of Life, Innervisions, Filliningness Final Finale - Stevie Wonder
In The Future - Black Mountain
Amputechture - The Mars Volta.

To name a few.
Last summer I ripped tons of my dads vinyl onto the computer (into .wav format) then stuck it straight onto CD.
I didnt bother splitting the tracks up so the 2 tracks are side 1 and 2 etc..
My favourite on vinyl is Led Zeppelin II

I love the crackle and pop of vinyl...I have 3 signed Gordon Giltrap vinyls too
W
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

I have somewhere around 250 albums on vinyl (8 milk crates full), and I only payed for 6 of those albums. I have the entire Led Zeppelin collection (including a bootleg called "Bonzo's Birthday Party"), the entire Styx, Rush, and Ted Nugent. Yet, the piece I'm most proud of is probably my "Hand That Feeds" remix album by Nine Inch Nails, bought for $5 at my local record shop.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
They weren't homeless they were just Grunge.
At second hand record stores, how can you check to see that the discs aren't scratched? That's something I've been having a problem doing and has made me sort of wary of buying records used. The prices are much better than for new ones but I'm never certain about their condition.
I have Frampton Comes To Life on vinyl but I don't have a record player to play it. Does anyone have any suggestions on a moderately priced record player? Possibly under $200 or a little above that.

I'd really like to hear In Rainbows on vinyl. Are the vinyl box sets still available?
^I got a really good Crosley one at Target for ninety bucks. It has built in speakers, cd player, am/fm radio, tape player, stereo cable jack (to plug in an mp3 player or other audio device), and of course a turntable.
I'm gonna buy a bit of stuff on vinyl of amazon when I get the funds

Anyone know where I can get a vinyl player