i play in a church band, and was wondering when backing up the acoustics, do i need to change my scale according to the chords they play or could i stay in the same key?
Quote by rebo91
i play in a church band, and was wondering when backing up the acoustics, do i need to change my scale according to the chords they play or could i stay in the same key?

are you soloing? are you strumming along? describe your role in the situation.
shred is gaudy music
im trying to add like a lead voice with my guitar, tyring to spice it up
Quote by rebo91
im trying to add like a lead voice with my guitar, tyring to spice it up

Ok, stay in key with them. Keep in mind that if they're singing, you may be stepping on some toes. You really have to listen and do more of a "fill" type role rather than a "solo" role. If its just them strumming and you soloing you have a bit more freedom. either way....know the key, play in the key. If they change keys.... change with them. You most likely don't need to change scales every chord.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by rebo91
When improvising, some experienced musicians would change modes/scales or whatever they're playing with each chord change. This is done because each note will sound different over each different chord.

Most guitar players who are beginning to improvise shouldnt do this as it is a million times harder than it sounds (I always get lost in the chord changes). My recommendations would be to play the pentatonic scale that relates to most of the chords. ie, in C major, play the C major pentatonic.