Okay, so I've been playing a lot of classic rock stuff and blues stuff for a long time. And i've been meaning to learn some faster stuff and more heavy stuff. Just to switch genres and improve my playing. So, I need some help. I have a Fender strat and a Michael Kelly patriot. But recently I recieved a Shecter. I can buy it from my friend for about $100. It's one of the lower end models, but still has that feel that I enjoy.

The other thing is that i've been meaning to learn how to work on the "inards" of my guitars. So with my electrical engineer dad i'm thinking about turning this into a project. But I don't know what kind of pickups I'm gonna be getting and what else I might want to add. I might play with the body and add a few more knobs for volumes and stuff but overall I'm not sure where I should be taking this. Any ideas on what I should do?

-Tim

Haha, totally forgot to give the sound I wanted. A kinda metal tone, something like A7x, but something that can get pretty melodic too. I'm trying for versatile here.
Fender Hot Rod. I also forgot I have a Rat distortion, blues driver, and ibanez tube screamer pedals. I'm mostly concentrating on what I should do to the guitar, but that might help.
Well, you won't be able to play violently heavy music with that amp. First lesson, amp counts for more of the tone. At least you have a good one to begin with, most guys come in wanting to sound br00talz with like, crappy line 6 spiders and expect a pickup change will make a world of difference.

In your case, I'll suggest some Dimarzio X2N pups, with a better overdrive pedal. Fulltone OCD might be good...
Haha, yea I understand I don't have the best for that crazy sound. I also have a smaller epiphone amp that was rebuilt by my luthier friend. It's pretty nice. So I'll see which one to use. I'd mostly just be messing around with this sound, for shows I'll still be playing blues stuff. This is mostly for my enjoyment.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Well, you won't be able to play violently heavy music with that amp. First lesson, amp counts for more of the tone. At least you have a good one to begin with, most guys come in wanting to sound br00talz with like, crappy line 6 spiders and expect a pickup change will make a world of difference.

In your case, I'll suggest some Dimarzio X2N pups, with a better overdrive pedal. Fulltone OCD might be good...

No.

They're good at high gain tones - that's it. Cleans with X2N = extremely dissapointing.
As you see, you need an amp change. If I were you, I would use your amp until you save up some money, sell the Fender, and go for a Mesa Boogie. They are the cheapest, and best sounding for what your looking for. You can get a nice one on Ebay, such as an F-30 or F-50. They are anywhere from $400-$700. I am also going to get a Schecter soon, but I'm getting a Hellraiser. I suggest putting in Seymour Duncan Blackouts or EMG 81/89's. Both are great Pickups. Hopefully this helps . There are plenty of guys on here that can answer your questions about the amp because they own one.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details