I have a little over $300 and a squier starter kit. I figure I can sell the guitar for 100 and the amp for 50 if I replace either of them. I'm looking into Epiphone SG's (G-400, Prophecy gx, 1966 g-400) and I'm not sure what to get. Would the g-400 sound good through my fender frontman? the buzz on my squier is getting intolerable, so I want to replace the guitar more than the amp.

So yeah, help, anyone?
You'd be better off selling the amp and buying a Vox Valvetronix than a new guitar.

New amp always comes before a new guitar.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
or heres an idea...have your guitar setup and intonated.....$50-$80 bucks later...your guitar plays sweet all over again!
Id sell the amp and buy a new one, like a Blackheart combo or a Vox Valvetronix, depending on what you want to do.
Quote by Raijouta

New amp always comes before a new guitar.

Depends if he's got an 'unlucky' squier. Some of them are really quite decent, some are crap - it just depends on luck.

If it's a ****ty squier, i'd say get a new guitar, but a new guitar -and- new amp is really gonna be preferable, as a step-up from any starter kit.
I highly doubt you'd get $150 for that.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
i have a epiphone g-400 and i have to say it is a pretty good giutar...the harmonics aren't exactly slapping you in the face but i can pull them off pretty easily for a 6 month player. i have a line 6 spider III amp 15 watts and i gotta say i dont get any buzz whatsoever and i practice like right next to my amp....i got the amp for about $100 and the guitar for....i think like 350 dollars or something with a case......but yeah i'd say it's a pretty good deal for a beginner-intermediate player. good luck
If you just jam around the house/garage, perhaps this would suit you.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-ART300-Electric-Guitar-104794391-i1389678.gc

That's what I have, along with my Epi Les Paul. I use a Line 6 Spider III amp. The amp has plenty of juice, decent crunch for a small amp, and lots of effects. Those amps sell for around $100 @ Guitar Center.

You will be hard pressed to get more than $100 out of a used starter combo my friend.

Good Luck!!
Quote by schismed
If you just jam around the house/garage, perhaps this would suit you.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-ART300-Electric-Guitar-104794391-i1389678.gc

That's what I have, along with my Epi Les Paul. I use a Line 6 Spider III amp. The amp has plenty of juice, decent crunch for a small amp, and lots of effects. Those amps sell for around $100 @ Guitar Center.

You will be hard pressed to get more than $100 out of a used starter combo my friend.

Good Luck!!

I guess I should include what genres I play. I play rock (classic, hard rock, all of it), some metal, and am starting to experiment with the blues. Aren't Ibanezes geared toward metal only?

I might try out the Spider III, even though it gets a lot of sh*t on this forum. My guitar teacher has a Spider II and it's pretty decent.
it seems to be the cool thing to hate on Line 6 Spiders, i tried one the other day with a lp custom and it sounded great. try before you buy, but at least try it, dont listen to the haters.
Quote by -Blue-
I guess I should include what genres I play. I play rock (classic, hard rock, all of it), some metal, and am starting to experiment with the blues. Aren't Ibanezes geared toward metal only?

Do steve vai and joe satriani play metal? No. Ibanez are good for everything from metal to alternative rock.
alright, just a few more questions.

1) Do active pickups drain batteries really fast, and do you have to unstring to replace them? (I'm wondering about that for the Ibanez.)
2) What's the big difference between a Spider III and a Microcube? I'm looking at both for low-priced amps after searching on the internet. I haven't seen a Spider III on the floor at my local shops, so don't say "try them out."

Other than that, I'm going to try out the Ibanez and Epis again.
Quote by -Blue-
alright, just a few more questions.

1) Do active pickups drain batteries really fast, and do you have to unstring to replace them? (I'm wondering about that for the Ibanez.)
2) What's the big difference between a Spider III and a Microcube? I'm looking at both for low-priced amps after searching on the internet. I haven't seen a Spider III on the floor at my local shops, so don't say "try them out."

Other than that, I'm going to try out the Ibanez and Epis again.

1)No, they last at least a year, and no.
2)Spiders suck and Cubes rock.
Quote by -Blue-
I have a little over $300 and a squier starter kit. I figure I can sell the guitar for 100 and the amp for 50 if I replace either of them. I'm looking into Epiphone SG's (G-400, Prophecy gx, 1966 g-400) and I'm not sure what to get. Would the g-400 sound good through my fender frontman? the buzz on my squier is getting intolerable, so I want to replace the guitar more than the amp.

So yeah, help, anyone?

Just letting you know, the Epi SG's are headstock-heavy. They're awkward sitting down.
Quote by RPGoof
1)No, they last at least a year, and no.
2)Spiders suck and Cubes rock.

Actually spiders aren't that bad. The microcubes are also pretty awesome, but I'd say in his case it'd be better to get a Spider, as it's very easy to figure out, you can change presets very fast, and it'll do well for a basement jam.
Sell the Frontman, buy a Microcube, then go find a used Mexi Fat Strat, or a used Ibanez.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
I'll sell you my 1966 SG, the same one in the link for $200. its in mint condition and I don't have a need for it anymore.
Quote by umbrellacorp
tom morello that bitch

^ Talking about how high to play your guitar.