I have a squier strat and was wondering what kind of strings I should get. I'm just a beginner and so this is the first time I'll be changing my strings and I don't want to mess anything up. I know there are different gauges. If I remember correctly, the standard is .9 or .12 gauge but I don't really know. And one last thing, which brand should I get? I obviously don't need high-end top of the line strings but I would like a good brand that won't snap or wear down easily. Thanks for any help.

Bonus question! I currently have a pick from guitar center when I bought my guitar and haven't bought any new ones as of late. I noticed that when I play sometimes my pick gets caught on the string and this is no doubt due to my awful technique, but I was wondering if I could reduce this with a certain size of pick.
strings 9s would probably be best and as for picks just get a few different ones and see which works best for you
I sat next to a nun on the bus once, she said hi

Twitter: @Pikey_P - wise words right there.
strings-Ernie Ball .10's
pick-jazz 3 picks

thats wat i use. the jazz 3 picks r very small so u mite like em
Ernie Ball Super Slinky .9's (maybe 10)
Jim Dunlop Tortex picks are the best, they come in many different sizes but i'd suggest .60mm.
ernie balls wear too quickly imo. i would go with d'addario .10's
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
If ur starting go with 9's and play with them until u decide to go lighter, thicker or stay the same. Stings are all pretty cheap so over time you will find what best suits you. Go with Ernie Ball .9 or .10's and a Fender Medium pick. sting it up and find what best suits you
When I was a beginner, all strings sounded the same to me, so if I were you I'd probably just go for any cheap set of .9's. I personally like D'addarios though.
Elixir Nanoweb ftw
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Ugh...Super Slinky's are the worst strings I've ever had/played. They break easily, last like 2 weeks MAX, and got all rusty on me.

I then tried GHS Boomers...and was enlightened .

Boomers or GTFO
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Ugh...Super Slinky's are the worst strings I've ever had/played. They break easily, last like 2 weeks MAX, and got all rusty on me.

I then tried GHS Boomers...and was enlightened .

Boomers or GTFO

My 2 month old Super Slinkys felt and sounded newer and better than my friends week-old Boomers. It's all prefrence though.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
My 2 month old Super Slinkys felt and sounded newer and better than my friends week-old Boomers. It's all prefrence though.

It certainly wasn't just preference for me; I had bought like 10 packs of teh slinky's, and the same result every time: major tone suckage & **** "quality".
^ Not sure what happened to you, but I love my slinkies
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I use Ernie Ball super slinkys. I would recommend starting with those. Once you start really practicing your bends, you will find what kind of string suits your style. If those are hard to bend for you, go for size 8. Or if the 9's seem pretty easy to bend, get 10's or 11's. You'll kinda figure it out for yourself as you progress. Have fun playing!
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
I've been using Ernie Ball .10, since the 80's. Started with the .9's but they kept breaking.
Never had a breaking problem since.

For picks I prefer Dunlop picks, .88, either the green ones or the gray ones. I do prefer the gray ones though because they are easier to hold onto.
Elixirs don't rust. I've had this set on for 4 months. No rust, dull tone, this is the best!
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
I strongly dislike elixers. They sound like **** even when you first put them on. It's like lathering mud on a set of ernie balls, and stringing your guitar with them. I got a couple sets of the D'addario strings a while back. My high E string snapped on both sets within a week.
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
you should typically start with .10 gauges and decide from there wether you want your strings to be lighter or thicker. as for the brand i suggest ernie ball, the last way longer than every other string brand ive used and they have a more well-rounded tone.
My only advice is not to get Fender strings, I used a set and they wore down in like a week
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
Rotosound > Ernie ball

get a set of blues (.10) or reds (.11) (what i use)

i wouldn't go higher than reds for any rocky bluesy stuff, maybe go for yellows (.09) if you want thinner.

I'm gonna a ctually blend blues and reds, giving me 11-52 gauge, then do vice versa on my other guitar 10-48
lol@u
I like DR strings much better than Ernie Ball slinkys go with them.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
i love dean markley blue steel's. i mostly use 11's, nice balance of thickness while still being able to bend
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
DR strings worked miracles for me.
The .11 True Blues set is what my strat will be strung with for a long time. At least until i'm ready to move up to .12's.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
having been doing the string dance for years.. (13 years at the end of this summer) my favorite string has been the SIT's

they're kind of uncommon, but when i find them, i buy them by the case.

if you find that you have a durability issue with any string, you need to look how your guitar is set up, your picking style, or perhaps aceept the fact you got a pack of factory rejects.. it happens sometimes!
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.