Hey, I've run into a creative block for the past few weeks, and I find it hard to write anything, and now even to play anything. I've been playing for roughly four years, and I'm at an intermediate level.

I play a good amount of metal and hard rock, but I experiment with all styles. I used to find my skill to be satisfactory, but I'm lacking in my soloing skills, and I need to improve. Now the obvious answer would be to simply practice slower solos and work it up from there, but I've become frustrated to the point where I get angry, and can't play my guitar...any suggestions on 1. how to control my frustration/anger when playing guitar, and 2. What material should I begin to learn? Sorry to sound dramatic about the anger part, it's just I really feel that it blocks my creative outlets sometimes. Any honest suggestions are welcome
Maybe start learning some harder songs, like some Fall of Troy, Hendrix like Little Wing, or some metal like Mastodon. Learn some new scales and modes maybe, or just pratice on some speed-builders. Try something new, like learning some jazz maybe, and then try writing something from what you learn.
1. With the anger thing, since you haven't told us in detail where the anger is coming from (is it just frustration that you aren't improving fast enough or is it that you are actually having physical trouble pulling off certain licks, etc.), my best advice is just put down the instrument as soon as the anger starts and don't come back to it for at least 30 mins.

2. To improve soloing start at the beginning. Most rock is based off of the blues so start learning easy blues solos. After you learn a specific solo, and I don't just mean the licks but the chords that support it and all the harmony involved, re-write the solo and make it your own. Also learn as many independant licks as you can and record yourself playing a simple chord progression, then experiment with the licks, slowing some down, speeding some up, paying attention to what works best over what. As you get better make it more complicated with the backing chords. Oh and if you're not practicing with a metronome yet, start to do so. Practice in short sessions, probably not more than an hour at a time, then go do something else for awhile before coming back.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Last edited by shredder.cheese at Jul 5, 2008,
ok, thanks for the quick responses...and about where my anger is coming from, it has to do with the frustration of not knowing any songs that show off my skill, if that makes any sense... I just want to be able to play a song that really challenges me, and that shows my skill progression over the past few years. I'll try the blues thing though, I really like blues, and that sounds logical to start there. Are there any specific songs I should learn? I'll definitely try Little Wing, but I also wanted a few metal songs (standard tuning if possible)
BB King, Clapton, Jimmy Page, Santana, all have pretty easy solos. Hendrix is a little harder but some of his stuff is easy. For metal Iron Maiden, AC-DC, Deep Purple & Black Sabbath are all pretty easy to. It'll give you a good base to tackle some of those.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.