So last week I notice a 1970 Epiphone EA 260 on craigslist. So I clicked on it and what do ya know there it is a bass made to resemble the Gibson 335. This bass had been sitting in a case scene the 70d's. The best part about this great buy is that it only coast me 38 dollars...38. Heres some pictures let me know what you think of this beaut.

P.S. All you peeps that think this bass sucked in the 70d's and it sucks now. Your wrong man this thing needed a set up but once it was it plays great and sounds it too!
HighFive! nice Find. I'm extremely envious.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
Looks like a great find!
Good luck getting it!
Congrats.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Custom (Alpine White)
Roland Microcube

Hoping to get a Strat or Tele next.
Wow! That bass is beautiful!

I just got a whole guitar amp rig on CraigsList for $675. The whole setup is worth about $1700. So, yeah, CraigsList rules!
Nice find! I got an Ibanez TS5 tubescreamer (tubescreamer in plastic casing) and an Ibanez EM5 Echomachine (digital delay, but sounds really close to analog; and can repeat indefinitely with repeat maxed) for $40 together. And it was hand delivered! Yay, Craiglist!
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by smb
Nice! I've always loved the look of Gibson EB-2.

+1

and If you like it, I aint gonna bug you right now.

it looks a little more versatile than the EB-2.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
38 DOLLARS?!

Damn, nice find.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Quote by smb
Nice! I've always loved the look of Gibson EB-2.

the Gibson version of these are worth over $1000. the Epi version is worth alot more than $38. do some serial number research to confirm the date of manufacture.
my book doesn't list a model EA-260, but the one, 335 copy with two pick-ups it does mention is an Epi Rivoli bass. the 1970 version is worth about $1,100.
i say good find!! i'm not a fan of Epi, or Gib basses, but you got a nice find there.
38 bucks for any relatively reliable bass is good.

we'd probably reccomend t-birds if they were but 50.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
38$?!
Damn you lucky son of a...

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
the Gibson version of these are worth over $1000. the Epi version is worth alot more than $38.
Vintage and Rare had an EB-2 for over £1000 a couple of years ago that presumably they've sold now. I've never seen an Epi quite like that one before, but $38 is a steal.

I'm sure you'll treasure it - I'm very jealous. I really like semi-hollow basses in that style.
In terms of bargins which I've got...

I got my first proper amp from ebay for £60. It's a Torque 1x15" 100W combo. Celestion driver, made in England. I did my first half a dozen gigs with it and numerous band practises.

And I got my Mag 300 410T off Forcemaster for £175 which I think is a pretty good deal

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
That is a nice looking bass and a major steal. Congrats. Epis stuff from that era has some rather nice gems and it looks like you had one dropped in your lap. Good find!
**** man youre lucky
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
Great stuff, anything that costs $38 is a good find. However, those strings around the headstock look ridiculous and totally nooby, so deal with that ASAP!!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Great stuff, anything that costs $38 is a good find. However, those strings around the headstock look ridiculous and totally nooby, so deal with that ASAP!!

Oh well you know, they supply a can of n00b with every Epi bass from the factory!

Seriously TS, a bass that costs $38 isn't a bad investment. Never played that bass, and IIRC aren't those the kind of basses people put Darkstars and whatnot into?
Quote by IndianRockStar
Oh well you know, they supply a can of n00b with every Epi bass from the factory!

Seriously TS, a bass that costs $38 isn't a bad investment. Never played that bass, and IIRC aren't those the kind of basses people put Darkstars and whatnot into?

Last I recall those are Gretsch/Guild or something (I always confuse the two).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Darkstars are replicas of the pickups from these that were also used in the Guild Starfire bass like this

I like those pickups because they were obviously designed by someone who knew how transformers are made so they must have been an electronic engineer I guess.
Quote by the humanity
38 bucks for any relatively reliable bass is good.

we'd probably reccomend t-birds if they were but 50.

Whoa. Don't push it.

Good bass to have in your repertoire, TS. Having a semihollow just makes you look more refined and intelligent.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by IndianRockStar

whoa man don't even go there this bass is anything but "n00b" this is serious collector ****. I've owned US jazz basses that haven't delivered a tone so rich. As for bashing the strings I just changed them and was to lazy to cut them off so I just tied them up to get out of the way. By the way when you guys can rival this basses antiquity and tone get back to me.
Quote by Chica2.0
whoa man don't even go there this bass is anything but "n00b" this is serious collector ****. I've owned US jazz basses that haven't delivered a tone so rich. As for bashing the strings I just changed them and was to lazy to cut them off so I just tied them up to get out of the way. By the way when you guys can rival this basses antiquity and tone get back to me.

Whoa-ho, little buddy! The Epi bash was, I'm sure, all in good fun. As for the uncut strings, it's obvious why you didn't cut them - you were lazy. Which is totally understandable, we've all been there, but it doesn't make it any less sloppy.

And seriously? "When you guys can rival this basses antiquity and tone get back to me"? Getting a bit big for the breeches, aren't we? The bass forum is a place of fellowship and mutual enlightenment. Don't be bringing your misguided hormones in here.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

Quote by WhyLater
Whoa-ho, little buddy! The Epi bash was, I'm sure, all in good fun. As for the uncut strings, it's obvious why you didn't cut them - you were lazy. Which is totally understandable, we've all been there, but it doesn't make it any less sloppy.

And seriously? "When you guys can rival this basses antiquity and tone get back to me"? Getting a bit big for the breeches, aren't we? The bass forum is a place of fellowship and mutual enlightenment. Don't be bringing your misguided hormones in here.

lol didn't mean to get all defensive I just hate guys that play ****y instruments bashing great ones ya know no offense to those kids tho. Its just where I live no takes music seriously and everyone thinks that there squire strat has a handle on a gibson Lp its just a major pet peeve. Sorry to those to that dude but this a title like Epi Bass= sucks or something like that, you need to get out and play one or maybe the right one. ya know.
Yeah dude, totally feel you there. Just making sure you weren't one of those "let's fight because my opinion is righter than yours by the way I have a girlfriend" kind of guys.

Don't get discouraged. As I said, this forum is one of fellowship and mutual enlightenment. You will quickly find which users are regular and trustworthy, and even though their opinions greatly vary and often clash, they always agree to disagree. We're all warriors for the cause of Bassdom here.

We also love ogling and coveting each others' gear, and what you've brought to the table this day is an enormous first step toward the status of "Regular".
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

Quote by WhyLater
Yeah dude, totally feel you there. Just making sure you weren't one of those "let's fight because my opinion is righter than yours by the way I have a girlfriend" kind of guys.

Don't get discouraged. As I said, this forum is one of fellowship and mutual enlightenment. You will quickly find which users are regular and trustworthy, and even though their opinions greatly vary and often clash, they always agree to disagree. We're all warriors for the cause of Bassdom here.

We also love ogling and coveting each others' gear, and what you've brought to the table this day is an enormous first step toward the status of "Regular".

Yea I've been a member for almost 2 years I think but got banned for a long time, I just couldn't stay away. But your pretty chill.
I'll let you check the backlog of Epiphone threads, but your Epiphone isn't indicative of modern Epiphone quality and the other way around. I have played them all (and embarassingly have more value in straps than most new Epiphone basses) and in my opinion, it doesn't change the fact that the prototypical Gibson designed bass is simply a guitar with a long neck and muddy pickups, and that design doesn't work. Like WhyLater said, try not to let your excitement of getting a new bass get in the way of your judgement. It'll take more than a thirty-eight dollar bass to get me or many, many people to start to like Epiphone. It'll take more than a thirty-eight dollar bass for you to come to a conclusion on Epiphone as a brand or disprove anybody's opinions. The fact that you'd equate an MIA Fender Jazz to a hollowbody bass isn't helping either.

So in conclusion, it's great that you have a new bass, but relax, and let's not get ahead of yourself. The internet is such that if the bass really was a thousand dollar collector's item the seller would have known it. It isn't, so just play it and enjoy it. Your ~30 year old Japanese made bass is absolutely no reflection on the Chinese made solidbodies we call Epiphone today.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Chica2.0
I've owned US jazz basses that haven't delivered a tone so rich.

Rich?! Rich tone?! What amp are you playing through? Your Marshall MG or your Frontman?

I bet you can't hear the mud because the low frequencies on those things are so damned poor.

Quote by Chica2.0
Yea I've been a member for almost 2 years I think but got banned for a long time, I just couldn't stay away.

Report for multi anyone?

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Chica2.0
lol didn't mean to get all defensive I just hate guys that play ****y instruments bashing great ones ya know no offense to those kids tho. Its just where I live no takes music seriously and everyone thinks that there squire strat has a handle on a gibson Lp its just a major pet peeve. Sorry to those to that dude but this a title like Epi Bass= sucks or something like that, you need to get out and play one or maybe the right one. ya know.

I've played PLENTY of Epiphone basses, and I have no desire to play anymore. 90% of the time when someone brings up an Epiphone bass in this forum it deals with the Thunderbird and EB-0. I've played both and hated both. As for the thing with the Squire strat to the LP, how is that different from your Epi bass compared to an American Fender? But if I see an Epi bass I haven't played when I go to Guitar Center, I play it. So if I see your bass there, I'll give it a shot.
Quote by Jonnomainman
Rich?! Rich tone?! What amp are you playing through? Your Marshall MG or your Frontman?

I bet you can't hear the mud because the low frequencies on those things are so damned poor.

Report for multi anyone?

All you guys need to chill I'm a guitar player in a band but play bass in my own time more as a hobby. I wouldn't play it through one of my guitar amps, I use it through a recording rig mostly to add a bassline to an song that I write + record along with a drum machine too. Also I have owned a fender US fretless jazzbass and yes I don't have it because i sold it. Don't get me wrong that bass was delicious but hey ya got to do what ya gotta do. Mr. Mud I recorded a small slap riff last night for this reason check it out and tell me what you think of the tone, and I'm not trying to start anything I really just want your opinion, oh yea my slaps a lil sloppy. As for Dr. Cocks I have too played the EB-0 and Thunder bird and I hate the Thunder bird I absolutley hate it! I hear you on the tone the feel everything about that bass just makes me gag. But I must say that the EB-0 while it is muddy feels really nice and looks it too. I think I did get a lil carried away but would you? This is a great find and has a great tone that I've been looking for. Sorry if offended anyone.
okay now that that is done IS THERE ANYBODY that can date this thing it has more than one serial #s and no vintage epi site has it's model. So here it is.

Back neck plate:0124110
in F hole:
Style: (worn off)
Epiphone: 5120 E
No: 129192

if anyone is good at dating stuff help me out.
Epiphone basses are hard to date sometimes by serial numbers--but they usually follow a date then production number. So if I had to guess, it would be that you do have a 1970 bass produced on 12 of April and it was the 110th guitar off the line for that year.

However, when I ran the serial number on the neck plate against the Guitar dating project it came up with this..

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx

Your guitar was made in
Korea
December c.1990
Production Number: 4110

So you either have a 38 year old bass or a 18 year old bass. You may want to search for Epiphone catalogs on line to see if you can find out which is true.
The threadstarter really got banned?
Quote by Cody_Grey102