Been playing guitar for about 6 years and have been having lessons every two weeks since i started, well at least up until a few months ago. My guitar teacher had to stop doing the lessons as he couldn't afford to pay rent on the building that he was using for the lessons.
I've been trying my hardest to keep playing and learning new stuff but i just cant get anything down as good as i used to be able to and it really beginning to get me down i just feel like my skills as a guitarist have completely dropped my rhythm has gone completly out of the window and my ability improvise has never been as bad, the only thing ive noticed is that i can now finger pick pretty efficiently o_0

Basically i feel uninspired as a guitarist i need guidance in what I'm doing and areas to progress with my guitar playing...

Any advice pit?
You don't need a teacher, do it all online

Check out documentaries of your fav. guitarists, that always helps

Hey, I'm in a similar sort of rut, except I'm self-taught.

Don't feel bad, and try to set some sort of goal. Find an album you like that's not hard to play, and learn it all the way through. That's what I'm doing (I plan to learn 5 of them by the end of the summer), and it seems to be waking up my hands and coordination and skills again. Plus, it's fun to learn stuff you like, even if it is pretty easy.
Just keep at it. Next time you pick up that welder's torch, look it straight in the eye and say "SCREW YOU MAN, I'M GONNA KEEP GOING UNTIL I DIE!"

6 years? Man, you must be like... a level 123 welder?
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
find somone who knows you play good, or if u ever inspired someone to play, start playing for them.

i dunno, this worked for me
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
Get the song Tin Pan Alley by Stevie Ray Vaughan, find out the key, and play with it.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by synpet713192
Hey, I'm in a similar sort of rut, except I'm self-taught.

Don't feel bad, and try to set some sort of goal. Find an album you like that's not hard to play, and learn it all the way through. That's what I'm doing (I plan to learn 5 of them by the end of the summer), and it seems to be waking up my hands and coordination and skills again. Plus, it's fun to learn stuff you like, even if it is pretty easy.

I've been trying to do this for a few weeks now, just going through all my ac/dc and brushing up on the ones i used to be able to play perfectly

Just keep at it. Next time you pick up that welder's torch, look it straight in the eye and say "SCREW YOU MAN, I'M GONNA KEEP GOING UNTIL I DIE!"

6 years? Man, you must be like... a level 123 welder?

o_0, i dont get it
Quote by smb
What's a guitar? No-one plays guitar in the pit

only the cool people play guitar in the pit
fap?
Quote by elliott FTW
I LOVE YOU SLOGANKID
silly racist bitch finally kicked the bucket

Quote by jesus2nd
trust me, ive tried that

keep fapping, it will build wrist strength and then ull be riffing like canibal corpse
Quote by elliott FTW
I LOVE YOU SLOGANKID
silly racist bitch finally kicked the bucket

i assume thats it for serious answers then, thanks for the help guys (y)
hmm, prehaps try learning a different style of music?
You said you're getting good with fingerpicking.. try learning some classical guitar peices.
i fall into ruts like this all the time, and usually switching it up helps
try dust in the wind or classical gas
everyone hits those depressions, its natural. you just gotta keep at it and then all of a sudden you'll be massively improving. its just part of the cycle.
Quote by porker
hmm, prehaps try learning a different style of music?
You said you're getting good with fingerpicking.. try learning some classical guitar peices.
i fall into ruts like this all the time, and usually switching it up helps
try dust in the wind or classical gas

Its classical gass that i developed my finger picking with, amazing song
Quote by jesus2nd
Its classical gass that i developed my finger picking with, amazing song

ditto, it does the trick great
ummm...

*sees all god answers taken*

*goes to Demotivational Pictures thread*
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
well what seems to be getting you down is the fact that you feel that you are not playing as good as you did before?

Do you think there could be a specific reason for this? For example, did u take a long break? if you did, that would make sense that you are not playing as well as you did. Have you been playing less? If you did, that is another good reason why you feel that you are not playing as good as you did.

Another way to look at it is; are you really playing worse, and what constitues playing worse? If you keep playing the same stuff over and over, that is not really getting worse.

Also, above you stated that you are just brushing up on the old stuff you played, so im guessing this means you are playing at about the same level? It doesnt seem to fit if one day you felt confident in your playing, then the next you didn't, even know it was the same playing (no real changed in the playing).

Take an objective look and see if you really are losing all your talents like you are saying, and if you are not, then your reason for getting down seems to be based off of a broad generalization

If you did lose your skills dramatically (which seems very unlikely for that just to happen without maybe a stroke or broken bones), then there are always ways to get to where you were (unless of course you had a stroke or broke your bones :-D). If you need some ill be glad to give you some ways to get where you want to be eh
dude, what about an actual solo in death metal instead of that poof from linkin park. Think of Pulse of the Maggots - Bed Of Razors

#1 MEMEBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB (PM URE FAV BANDS TO ME TO JOIN)
Last edited by The2abraxis at Jul 5, 2008,
Quote by The2abraxis

If you did lose your skills dramatically (which seems very unlikely for that just to happen without maybe a stroke or broken bones), then there are always ways to get to where you were (unless of course you had a stroke or broke your bones :-D). If you need some ill be glad to give you some ways to get where you want to be eh

what would these methods be??
Quote by jesus2nd
what would these methods be??

well before you want some methods, you should really find out if you have suddenly lost all of your skill.

maybe record yourself over an improv jam, or record yourself playing songs u have recorded before, and comparer even post, and let other people see if you have gotten dramatically worst
dude, what about an actual solo in death metal instead of that poof from linkin park. Think of Pulse of the Maggots - Bed Of Razors

#1 MEMEBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB (PM URE FAV BANDS TO ME TO JOIN)
find someone to play with ! that helps you , you know .

cheer up mate !
you should try exploring a new genre of music and try learning from the new type of music. that what i do everytime i feel like my playing is stale of i need to just work on something else. well i dont know you musical tastes casue im to lazy to look in you profile but try jazz theres alway many kinds of jazz that may be able to spark some fuel in your fire.
Quote by The2abraxis
well before you want some methods, you should really find out if you have suddenly lost all of your skill.

maybe record yourself over an improv jam, or record yourself playing songs u have recorded before, and comparer even post, and let other people see if you have gotten dramatically worst

ill get onto record some impro, will have to see if i can find any of my old stuff though
Quote by jesus2nd
ill get onto record some impro, will have to see if i can find any of my old stuff though

alrightyo. when you arte comparing it, take a step out and see it as objective as you can, almost like comparing two different people

Challenge yourself. Learn songs that you think are impossible. Thats what I did. I started learning Dark Eternal Night by Dream Theater and within a half hour my fingers were faster then they were.

You said your good at finger picking? Learn Dee by Ozzy. Some great classical guitar work in there. Learn some classical tunes. Theres always new things you can do. try diffrent genres ect.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
I have/had similar feelings sometimes when my teacher had nothing left to teach me (he'd been playing for 45+ years) - It's all in the mind, losing ability is actually a hard thing to do.

Form a jam group, get in a band and/or get a new teacher!
might not be able to upload anything till tomorrow got to find a .wav converter

EDIT: I take it back, uploaded a quick improvisation over a basic chord progression, listening back on it it doesn't sound that bad

all my old stuff i found is like from atleast 4 years ago and from when my playing was worse than it is now :P
Last edited by jesus2nd at Jul 6, 2008,