100 years from now which classic rock bands will still be remembered?... if any
Quote by Amitio
Well in a 100 years classic rock will be known as antique rock

that has to be sigable :P
Think i prefer my current one though
Quote by elliott FTW
I LOVE YOU SLOGANKID
silly racist bitch finally kicked the bucket

It'll probably be bands like Rage Against the Machine and Greenday...

The future of classic rock is gonna suck.
The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Hendrix

That's probably about it.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Hell, stuff from the 60's has already been around for 30-40 years. I think that most of the well known classic rock today will still be moderately well known in another 100 years.

People still know about Beethoven and Mozart and that stuff right? (Not that I'm comparing classical to classic rock)
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Quote by bassdrum
It'll probably be bands like Rage Against the Machine and Greenday...

The future of classic rock is gonna suck.

Classic Rock is defined by a time, not by a style, so no new bands will be added. Thus, Classic Rock as it is now is how Classic Rock will be always and forever.
Quote by slidething31
Hell, stuff from the 60's has already been around for 30-40 years. I think that most of the well known classic rock today will still be moderately well known in another 100 years.

Well a big reason why classic rock is still well-known and popular today is because so many bands are still actively touring and recording. Once they're dead, interest will start to fade imo. I think the big players like Zeppelin, the Beatles, and the Stones will still be remembered for educational purposes.

EDIT: ^ I kinda disagree with you there. Anything that will pass the test of time will be considered classic.
Quote by master
Once they're dead, interest will start to fade imo.

Didn't think much about that statement did you?

Much of the best know classic rock today is the music of artists who are deceased. In many cases, death increases interest in an artist's music.
We all won't be here to see it in 100 years anyway. (unless you plan on beating the world record for oldest person)
Quote by master
EDIT: ^ I kinda disagree with you there. Anything that will pass the test of time will be considered classic.

To some extent, yes, but it won't be considered "Classic Rock". At least not by UG terms.
I don't know. The classic rock station in my town has began adding more recent bands to their playlist. I've heard The Black Crowes and U2 recently.
Hey, I'm Mike.
U2 is considered a Classic Rock band. The Black Crowes, however, are not (though they are still a great group).

I don't listen to the radio much, but I have heard bands such as Guns N' Roses and Nirvana played on Classic Rock stations, though I don't consider them Classic Rock.

Classic Rock is a loose term, really, which is why I made a thread dealing with how one defines Classic Rock (this was about a year ago).
Well, the Stones and Rush will still be performing, so they'll be remembered.

Besides them, probably Zeppelin, Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Who, etc.
The.
I've been hearing the Black Crowes on the classic rock stations as well.

I was confused at first, but then it made me start to feel old.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
U2 is considered a Classic Rock band. The Black Crowes, however, are not (though they are still a great group).

I don't listen to the radio much, but I have heard bands such as Guns N' Roses and Nirvana played on Classic Rock stations, though I don't consider them Classic Rock.

Classic Rock is a loose term, really, which is why I made a thread dealing with how one defines Classic Rock (this was about a year ago).

The problem is that there isn't really a solid definition of what is "classic rock".
Hey, I'm Mike.
It's the whole thing where you have a huge amount and over time the list slowly gets smaller for the majority of people. There will always be people seeking out the less known stuff though and I think that has been shown well in recent years by the amount of re-issues of completely forgotten albums.

It also really depends on how people access music in 100 years time, and if they infact do access music. Who knows what will happen. If digital formats do really take over then it would be interesting to know if people choose what to listen to or a computer provides them with what they want without having to select anything, in which case music could be extremely limited.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
I don't think so, do we remember any pop music from the 1902? There were most likely songs at that time thought to be the pinnacle of popular music, yet they have been washed away by time. I think the same thing will inevitably happen to what we call "Classic Rock". The only music that has consistently stood the test of time are great classical pieces by Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn, etc.
Pop music is a format of music (similar to Classic Rock) that originated near the middle of the 20th century, so no, we don't (and really can't) remember any Pop from 1902.

However, we continue to remember Blues and Jazz from (relatively) close to that time. It's not that popular, mind you, but a lot of people still do listen to artists from these genres such as Blind Lemon Jefferson, Robert Johnson, Louis Armstrong, and Duke Ellington. Granted, they were not the first musicians of this genre, but they helped define it. I think that as long as such genres are around those who helped set the foundation for it will always play a role in influencing the new-coming musicians who play that genre, thus keeping their legacy and their music alive.

The same could very well happen with Classic Rock artists.
so does classic rock 'era' have a defined date?
i mean, the bands started after '80 dont count as classic rock, or what?
or maybe ten years after GnR will be classic rock as well?
_____
/ \
| Rick |
| |
|______ |
Classic Rock is not based on an officially set time. According to UG, however, Classic Rock bands were Rock bands that released their debut albums between 1960 and 1984. Radio stations don't necessarily abide by the same time as UG does, so that's why you will hear bands such as Guns N' Roses on a radio station that's "strictly" Classic Rock.
Thanks for the quick feedback

Let's keep our fingers crossed that the Jonas Brothers & Hannah Montana don't take over the music world
Mozart, Bach, and Beethoven, weren't the only composer/musicians from the baroque and classical eras. There were hundreds and hundreds of equally skilled, capable or better people out there at the time. The music industry has been along for as long as there has been music. Except in the 17th and 18th century, people weren't pissed off about "evil" record companies, they were pissed off about who became the King's composer who had the luxury of government endorsements and resources.

What is capable of standing the test of time is always redefined over the years and decades. Just like in the 17th and 18th centuries, 40 - 30 years ago, and today, there are hundreds of bands and artists who were/are hot shit, but hardly any one remembers for whatever reason. As far as most people are concerned, there are a few artists who encapsulate any given genre, and the rest become footnotes.

Loathe as I am to admit it, Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones are what we will remember from classic rock 100 years from now. Just like how we think of Bach when we think of Baroque, and Beethoven when we think of Romanticism. Dream Theater for Progressive, Metallica for Metal, Radiohead for Electronic, Massive Attack for Trip-Hop, etc, etc.

Stop! Do not respond to the previous paragraph. Do not tell me that I am wrong and what you think is right. I only wrote Quod Erat Demonstratum.
Last edited by Maet at Jul 7, 2008,
Quote by rock_and_blues
I don't think so, do we remember any pop music from the 1902?

pop music didn't exist in 1902 in the form it exists in today. it wasn't until the late 50s/early 60s when the idea of a popular band, teh hit parade, etc, really became the norm.

i think bands such as the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Cream, Led Zeppelin will be remembered for a very long time. Although obviously, as the generations who were fans get older, obviously interest will fade, but some bands it will take much longer than others. Personally, i'm 17, and if i have kids, nothing would make me happier than them being fans of that kind of stuff.

it's hard to imagine a day when a guy will walk into a guitar store (assuming in the future they will still exist), play Stairway, or Day Tripper, or something, and have people ask what he's playing, but i guess it must happen eventually.

and on the Black Crowes thing, keep in mind there are plenty of bands older than them who will never be considered Classic Rock. it's just because they play a style heavily influenced by it (i mean, remember that their biggest song "hard to handle" is an Otis Redding cover). and my mum (a massive Stones fan) swears that "Remedy" must be cover of an obscure stones track.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
Quote by royalstrat

Let's keep our fingers crossed that the Jonas Brothers & Hannah Montana don't take over the music world

Jesus no!!!!
WHO ARE YOU?
Quote by les_paul_01
and my mum (a massive Stones fan) swears that "Remedy" must be cover of an obscure stones track.

Nah, but they have covered Torn and Frayed from Exile On Main St.

Matt's going to be so proud of me when he reads that.

But yeah, there are a lot of older bands that won't be considered classic rock, because they weren't rock in the first place, or weren't popular.
Hey, I'm Mike.
I think that the Stones, Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, and Pink Floyd (possibly Rush) have the best chance of being remembered forever. They all have huge fanbases and gigantic followings on radio - that's the kicker. If a band can produce work that sounds good on the radio, they'll stick around forever.

And don't forget Elvis! He'll be the Mozart of rock n' roll one day - if he isn't already.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Last edited by Sloopy at Jul 8, 2008,
To be perfectly honest, I hardly ever hear the Beatles on everyday classic rock radio...

Maybe just Come Together. The Stones and Floyd are the ones I hear the most.
LOL
^^Aside from the Sunday morning Breakfast With The Beatles that I used to listen to on the way to baseball games, I don't really hear that much Beatles on the radio either (then again, I don't listen to the radio anymore). Even so, I still think the Beatles have the best chance of standing the test of time.

Quote by Thefallofman
Nah, but they have covered Torn and Frayed from Exile On Main St.

Matt's going to be so proud of me when he reads that.

But that's only the beginning...they've done Torn and Frayed, Happy, Loving Cup, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Street Fighting Man, Honky Tonk Women, Let It Bleed, No Expectations, Silver Train, Tumbling Dice, You Got The Silver, and a Miss You jam.

How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I don't believe anyone has mentioned Mr. Zappa yet. Many believe that down the road he will be mentioned alongside of Beethoven, Bach, and Mozart.

I don't know about that...I hope so. The man deserves it.

But the only people I know of that appreciate Zappa are musicians themselves.
LOL
Quote by BrainDamage
Even so, I still think the Beatles have the best chance of standing the test of time.

I agree, as I said above, the early groups will have a better chance because they (eg. the Beatles, the Stones, Elvis, Chuck Berry, etc.) broke down so many barriers. There are tons of bands whole followed in their footsteps - and they range from genius (Led Zeppelin, The Eagles) to moderately successful (Aerosmith, KISS) to forgettable (Ted Nugent, Bob Seger). Time has a way of remembering what's important, not necassarily what happened.

Note: The bands I used in my argument were placed there out of my opinion. That being said, I don't care how much of a Nuge fan you are, he won't be remembered when you're all my age.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Quote by Sloopy
I agree, as I said above, the early groups will have a better chance because they (eg. the Beatles, the Stones, Elvis, Chuck Berry, etc.) broke down so many barriers. There are tons of bands whole followed in their footsteps - and they range from genius (Led Zeppelin, The Eagles) to moderately successful (Aerosmith, KISS) to forgettable (Ted Nugent, Bob Seger). Time has a way of remembering what's important, not necassarily what happened.

Note: The bands I used in my argument were placed there out of my opinion. That being said, I don't care how much of a Nuge fan you are, he won't be remembered when you're all my age.

I don't think breaking down barriers is the right phrase in a musical context. Elvis, Buddy Holly, The Beatles and the like basically arrived on a blank state to do whatever they wanted. Culturally, we can blame those shaggy haired mop topped bastards for a lot, but I think we give them far too much credit for their musical accomplishments.
Quote by royalstrat

This quote explains the true nature of what we fear in the future of music
i know one will.......Frank Zappa

they're puttin a statue of him in downtown Baltimore!

at least they'll remember him here
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Page 1 of 3