I'm scouring the internet for an Ibanez PGM 300 from 2003 (because I heard the EDGE PRO is better than the LO PRO EDGE). But I haven't had any joy yet (btw if anyone finds one available shipping to UK, for the love of god tell me!)

So seeing as I've had no luck so far, my question is how much difference is there between the EDGE PRO and the LO PRO EDGE? I could swear I've seen some guide on the internet about this sort of issue, but for the life of me I can't find it . Also is either of them a direct swap for something better say an OFR?

I have no experience of trems, but I want a guitar with them to offer more versatility to my arsenal as I already have a decent non trem guitar in my Gibson SG so I don't really want the PGM 301.
Quote by saphrax
Bit harsh I think! He comes back for the last 10 minutes against Roma, after being out all season, and you want him crippled again? You harsh wanker!

Aimed at me for saying I hope Gary Neville breaks all his limbs
ZR trem is geat
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by Tom_hatton
Edge III= Fail.

Everything else= Fucking good.

Thats all you need to know.

not true, lo-trses aren't good either. and the edge II isn't meant to be great either.

Azza: both the edge pro and lo-pro edge are good trems. it's really down to personal preference as to which you prefer. and an OFR wouldn't be an upgrade, it'd be a step sideways (and many people prefer edges to OFRs)- they aren't a direct swap anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There are 3 big differences IMO:

1. The Lo-Pro has locking studs, whilst the Edge Pro does not - arguably better tuning stability with locking studs.

2. The Edge Pro is lower profile

3. The Edge Pro doesn't need the ball ends to be cut off the strings. But then again, I string my floyd equipped guitars with the ball ends at the headstock end anyway.

Also, the Edge Pro has metal inserts in the saddles, which supposedly enhance the sound.

Another point is that you can't get any intonation adjustment tools for the Edge Pro, whereas you can for the Lo-Pro, although they are very hard to find anyway.
Ah ok awesome. So what are the key advantages and disadvantages of the 2 systems? I read that page, and the only thing I really got was that the PRO takes the ball end of strings and is more flush with the body, and that you don't loose little pieces when restringing. I couldn't really find any advantages of the LO PRO over the PRO, apart from that it widens my search area and thus chance of getting the guitar.

EDIT: beaten to it. cheers donutman

So wait, if you can't get any intonation equipment for the EDGE PRO, that kinda sinches it. How the hell would I do the set up without any of the tools? I guess I'd have to take it into a music shop and the closest one to me is pretty small.
Quote by saphrax
Bit harsh I think! He comes back for the last 10 minutes against Roma, after being out all season, and you want him crippled again? You harsh wanker!

Last edited by Azza Dutt at Jul 5, 2008,
Quote by Azza Dutt
I couldn't really find any advantages of the LO PRO over the PRO, apart from that it widens my search area and thus chance of getting the guitar.
LoPro - locking studs. EdgePro - non-locking studs. You want the studs to be locking if you're the kind of a person who tunes their guitar once every two months. Neither trem really has glaring disadvantages. You might say the decreased range of a lo-profile trem is one, but if it is to you, then you're looking at a wrong system.

LP guitars tend to be cheaper used, since EP typically carries the Prestige brand, and that's a great excuse to sell for more. Although if you want the PGM, you'll pay a lot anyways. On the other hand, RG5x0 can be had for coins, and RG7x0 doesn't run for too much (especially now that the 770 was reissued).
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Well most people don't use intonation tools to intonate their floyds. It just makes it a little easier to move the saddles with string still on.

It's not really a huge disadvantage. Chances are, you won't be able to find a Lo-Pro tool anyway, they are very rare.

Without the tool, you could either adjust intonation with the strings off, which requires a little more trial and error, or use a block of wood or something to keep the saddle in place while you retighten the screw.
I was ready to buy an ibanez with an edge III, but having read that linked page, I must say im very dissuaded.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
Mkay well then that helps a lot Basically I can go for any of the 300s. I was told that the PRO was far superior for some reason. Seeing as its not far superior it widens my search up which is brilliant Thanks everyone for your help
Quote by saphrax

On intonation tools - there are three. The Floyd key (similar to the one thedonutman demonstrated above), the Edge key, and the Lo-Pro key. The latter two are not in production anymore, and they therefore command a premium. Edge keys are virtually impossible to find. I had one myself, and sold it for $120 a few months ago. Go figure. You can still buy LP tools - Rich of ibanezrules.com has many in stock for $25 a bite. I frequently see Floyd tools for sale, and the magic secret is that they're not too hard to modify for use with Edge.

Having said that, they make intonation easier, but I never had an issue with slacking the string by pushing on the bar and making the adjustment while at it.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Pifty I think you may just about qualify for at least some sort of sub deity level being. I have a lot to learn about trems. Cheers for all the help
Quote by saphrax

From my experience, the LoTRS I is better than the Edge III.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Quote by Azza Dutt
Pifty I think you may just about qualify for at least some sort of sub deity level being. I have a lot to learn about trems. Cheers for all the help
Just about? I do be offended.
Quote by sk8boardbob2
From my experience, the LoTRS I is better than the Edge III.

Going by that article, youve said the equivalent of preferring to get stabbed in the eye than shot in the jaw.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
^I've never had tuning problems with the LoTRS whereas my friend has had many tuning problems with the Edge III. Plus that article has a fault, LoTRS I and II are not the same. Ibanez decided that the LoTRS I was too expensive and made the cheaper II.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Quote by pifty
Just about? I do be offended.

Aw *pats* I said at least meaning it's probably higher than sub deity
Quote by saphrax

Quote by sk8boardbob2
^I've never had tuning problems with the LoTRS whereas my friend has had many tuning problems with the Edge III. Plus that article has a fault, LoTRS I and II are not the same. Ibanez decided that the LoTRS I was too expensive and made the cheaper II.

I do belive that the only difference between I and II is that I's where made in japan where II's where made in Korea.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by sk8boardbob2
Then your friend must not know how to properly set up a trem, and it wont stay in tune. Because I've head my Edge III for a year, and it still stays in tune perfectly.
Quote by sk8boardbob2
^I've never had tuning problems with the LoTRS whereas my friend has had many tuning problems with the Edge III.
Well, that's one opinion. Some people use both for years with no issues, but most people bust theirs before they can finger a powerchord. On the other side, close to nobody ever busts their Edge or LoPro, which is why all these designs have their respective reputations.

Quote by sk8boardbob2
Plus that article has a fault, LoTRS I and II are not the same. Ibanez decided that the LoTRS I was too expensive and made the cheaper II.
That article doesn't have the fault you mention, since it never claims LoTRS I and II are the same. If my memory serves, it states the nominal difference between the two, then mentions that they are similar in design - which is true, and then goes on to mention that both of them are shit. Which is also true. Your statement is however at fault. Price has nothing to do with it. LoTRS I was placed on Japanese models (such as RG470), II was placed on Korean models (such as S470). Notable exception was the PGM30 which had the II despite being made in Japan.
^Well then I stand corrected. My LoTRS doesn't happen to be on an Ibanez and I thought the I and II were made at different times, that the II succeeded the I.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Quote by sk8boardbob2
^Well then I stand corrected. My LoTRS doesn't happen to be on an Ibanez and I thought the I and II were made at different times, that the II succeeded the I.
I think Takeuchi made the LoTRS models. Won't claim it as a fact, but I reckon the LoTRS was exclusive to Ibanez, while there were other TRS LFR bridges put in a number of MIJ import guitars (such as Westones, Kramers, and what have you). What does your bridge say on the trem wing?
The trem block does say Takeuchi. It was fitted on my Kramer mutt.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
But is it Ibanez branded? Some Takeuchi trems have a decent reputation, some have none (thanks to lack of distribution), it's just Ibanez branded Los which are universally derided.
It says Ibanez Lo-TRS Trem on the side so I think we know what it is.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Yeah, that leaves very little room for investigation. On the upside, when/if it kicks the bucket, you can always throw it out and put something better in its place.
Yeah I think the posts are from the original OFR or FR Pro.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
^ yeah, the lo-trs studs are smaller than the II, i think. It's not a direct retrofit if you want to use new studs...

Quote by Gabbastard
I was ready to buy an ibanez with an edge III, but having read that linked page, I must say im very dissuaded.

good call. don't do it.

Quote by Azza Dutt
Mkay well then that helps a lot Basically I can go for any of the 300s. I was told that the PRO was far superior for some reason. Seeing as its not far superior it widens my search up which is brilliant Thanks everyone for your help

just be careful, as some of the older pgms have lo-trs (or II) trems.

Quote by pifty
I think Takeuchi made the LoTRS models. Won't claim it as a fact, but I reckon the LoTRS was exclusive to Ibanez, while there were other TRS LFR bridges put in a number of MIJ import guitars (such as Westones, Kramers, and what have you). What does your bridge say on the trem wing?

yeah, mine says takeuchi on the block. I've heard (warning: hearsay) that the OEM ones, such as the lo-trs fitted to ibanez rgs, are of lower quality than the lo-trs trems being sold as retrofit units.

Quote by pifty
But is it Ibanez branded? Some Takeuchi trems have a decent reputation, some have none (thanks to lack of distribution), it's just Ibanez branded Los which are universally derided.

that's what i'm saying.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Funny you joined in, most of my misconceptions came from you!
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
sorry? how do you mean?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Everything I thought I knew what LoTRS came from one of your posts a long time ago.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
which post was that (what was the gist)?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm not saying your post was incorrect. I remembered you talking about Lo-TRS trems and misremembered what you probably said. I do remember us talking about the Takeuchi stamping on the trem block.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Since no1 is talking about it im thinking about purchasing an ibanez with a ZR trem. Are these any good. Ive heard they can be a bear when it comes to maintenance
^They are great trems. Only negative feedback I've heard is that the arm holder snaps off or something, but is a minor fix. Something along those lines.

Like most double locking floating tremolo systems, they can be hard to maintain but over practice and experience, you'll be fine.
Thanks, im really looking forward to playing some steve vai and EVH on there now
Quote by sk8boardbob2
I'm not saying your post was incorrect. I remembered you talking about Lo-TRS trems and misremembered what you probably said. I do remember us talking about the Takeuchi stamping on the trem block.

ah, ok, no worries (it's entirely possible i made a mistake, though... ).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?