So I'm sure everyone is tired of these but I just need some direction.

I previous tried to learn guitar when I hardly had any free time. So I would just work on some chords and that would really be it. Not putting an hour or hours of practice into it. One of my mine problems I had was my strumming. For the life of me I couldn't get my strumming down. Um, pretty much what I am asking is what should I work on. I really want to play hardcore and metalcore stuff but I know I have to learn traditional style before I try to learn appregios and things to that nature. So what I really want to know is what are the things I need to work on and can you give me a song example for each thing that could help me work on it.?

Thanks for your time.
Well obviously you're going to need to work on the basics like chords (learning songs like 'House of the Rising Sun' and the beginning part of 'Stairway to Heaven') and learn basic scales and the notes they're made up of (Major, Minor, Pentatonics etc...), with the basic scales you can practice single note picking lines.

Practice all of that stuff end when you're reasonably good you can start working on proper metal. One song to work on i the mean time would be Children of the Damned by Iron Maiden, as long as you basically ignore the solos it's a pretty simple song; take it slow and learn it section by section and try to piece them together but don't try until you get each section right.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.