hey dudes. I've been into metal/thrash/hard rock for most of my life...

i'm kinda wantin to get into some punk. any good starting points?

here's the bands i've tried:

The White Stripes
The Ramones
No use for a Name.

the only thing that i will not tolerate ina any sort of music is screaming, but i dont think that would be a problem with punk music.

guess thats it . fire away*.

*that was a figure of speech. please DO NOT stalk me for several months at a time and then shoot me.
TWO WORDS

POWER CHORDS!

Lol, but learn a bunch of punk bands

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Quote by ZeBubba!
No screaming... in punk?

Are you retarded?

Again with a rec thread? Damn. Anyway, Toy Dolls, Stiff Little Fingers, The Bouncing Souls, Zounds, The Cramps, Richard Hell and The Voidoids, Siouxsie and The Banshees, Penetration, The Rezillos, Subhumans and The Dead Milkmen are worth checking out.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
Get ...And out come the wolves by rancid. This album will get you into punk. Other bands you should check out are. The Clash, The descendents, Streets Dogs.
With an irresistible blend of reggae induced hip-hop and catchy pop-punk hooks, Half Chance Heroes captivates audiences with their unique sound and energetic stage show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8bSU0u8uvM
The Bronx
Dead Kennedys
Rise Against (most of it's singing)
The Adicts
Ambitions
(Old) Anti-flag
Bad Religion
Big D and the Kids Table
Bouncing Souls
Circle Jerks
Dillinger Four
Ignite

You're gonan find yourself fairly limited because a lot of punk bands especially hardcore/punk incorporate at least a bit of screaming.

Note there's a fair difference between old/classic punk and the newer era. Check out Cows With Gun's post for more classic sounding punk bands, mine is more of a list of modern touring punk bands.
Last edited by Adam_Harrison9 at Jul 5, 2008,
-Television
-Richard Hell and the Voidoids
-The Stooges
-The New York Dolls
-The Dictators
-The Dead Boys
-The Damned
-The Buzzcocks
-The Clash
-The Sex Pistols
-Bad Religion
-Social Distortion
-The Misfits
Black flag
Dead Kennedys
The Minutemen
The Stooges

I made the list short so that you could try out all of them. God knows you don't want a list of 100 bands to check out at once.

Also. If you're into metal and thrash, Municipal Waste is a really good Thrash/Punk band.

EDIT: Also, it's usually better to ignore the first 10 replies or so in these kinds of threads. ...not that you have to. But you should probably take suggestions from the punk forum regulars. A lot of people don't know what they're talking about. ...not to sound like an elitist
Last edited by treefiddey at Jul 5, 2008,
I'd start with the sex pistols, old misfits stuff(Danzig era), Black Flag, and the Dead Kennedy's. Of course these are just the popular ones and alot of good punk is underground.

If you like some of those bands just read around this forum and you'll stumble across more underground stuff thats good.
I'd really just go with what cowsWithGuns suggested, it sounds like stuff you would like. The point of a reccomendations thread is to reccomend what you think THEY'D like, not what you think they should listen to.
The MC5
(Iggy Pop and) The Stooges
The Velvet Underground
David Bowie
The New York Dolls
Television
Richard Hell and the Voidoids
The Ramones
The Talking Heads
The Misfits
The Buzzcocks
Bad Religion
The Clash
The Damned
The Dead Boys
The Dead Kennedys
The Descendents
Fugazi
Gang Of Four
Joy Division
Public Image, Ltd.
Generation X
Gogol Bordello
The Pogues
Gorilla Biscuits
Green Day
Jawbreaker
JFA
Johnny Thunders and The Heartbreakers
Minor Threat
Operation Ivy
Pinhead Gunpowder
Post-Modern Sounds
Rancid
Tiger Army
Reverend Horton Heat
Necromantix
Stray Cats
Rites of Spring
Embrace
Lifetime
Circle Jerks
Fear
Bad Brains
Black Flag
Screeching Weasel
The Queers
Sex Pistols
The Skids
Sweet Baby
Violent Femmes
Defiance, Ohio
Flogging Molly
Dropkick Murphys
Wire
The Adolescents
Social Distortion
Agent Orange
Reel Big Fish
Citizen Fish
Leftover Crack
Less Than Jake
The Dictators
The Adicts
Big D and the Kids Table
Bouncing Souls
Anti-Flag
Elvis Costello
The Casualties
The Exploited
The Cramps
Choking Victim
The Unseen
Mustard Plug
Catch-22
Streetlight Manifesto
The Specials
Madness
The Jam
Crass
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Patti Smith
X-Ray Spex
X
Devo
Radio Birdman
Blondie
The Undertones
7 Seconds
The Beat
The Selecter
The Cure
C0ck Sparrer
Sham 69
Subhumans
The Meteors
NOFX
The Offspring
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Bauhaus
The Gun Club

I wrote this list planning to organize it into subgenres and time periods. Then I realized you could just read the Wikipedia article about punk and get the same information. Then I realized I'm too lazy to organize and explain this stuff anyway. So never mind. That was a waste of time.
try screeching weasel, they're basically pop-punk but still really good
and i dont know if you like ska/punk, but check out operation ivy, because they are awesome
Jesus christ, people.. This isn't a "List all your favorite bands to try to convert him to whatever kind of punk you like"

He said he likes metal and thrash... why not list something along those lines? Somehow I doubt he'll like Radio Birdman and Television and whatever else you guys are recommending... Somehow when he says "no screaming" I think he means "no screamo type high pitched annoying screaming"... Yelling is probably fine.

A couple different bands you should try out... all different, but all near what you like, and maybe some you've heard of

Oi Polloi
DRI
Toxic Narcotic
Born Dead
Complete Control

EDIT: I just saw in his profile he likes Aerosmith... so his statement here was misleading to his music tastes... Carry on.. my bad
Last edited by RockThe40oz at Jul 5, 2008,
Quote by mbbmalcolm
-Television
-Richard Hell and the Voidoids
-The Stooges
-The New York Dolls
-The Dictators
-The Dead Boys
-The Damned
-The Buzzcocks
-The Clash
-The Sex Pistols
-Bad Religion
-Social Distortion
-The Misfits

I will quote this post so that you can read it a second time, because I think this is a good list to start.
agnostic front
bad religon
the unseen ( i guess theirs screaming but its not bad
teh virus
Guitars
Gretsch corvette
Epiphone SG special

Effects
RP350
big muff pi
crybaby wah
RC-2 loop station

Amps
Spider II 15W
Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by treefiddey
Also. If you're into metal and thrash, Municipal Waste is a really F*cking sh*t Thrash/Punk band.

Fixed.

Municipal Waste =/= Good.