After tuning my acoustic, just for fun, to BEADGb, im interested in buying a 7 string.

Im really into Dream Theater/ LTE, but im really interested in just experimenting with it, seeing how scales/ chords work with it.

So the question is, would it really be worth it?

Im having fun playing the beginning to A Change of Seasons ( ) on my acoustic, but would it be worth it in the long run?

Im looking at buying and Ibanez RG7321 and putting a D-Sonic and Air Norton in it.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Yeah, I'm actually thinking about doing the same thing. The Ibanez Wizard II-7 isn't much different from the 6-string version imo, so why not?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
john petrucci is a murderer
Quote by Jaymz_515
One of my friends was thrown into the sun by a teacher for speaking in the library.
Personally I think 7 Strings are only any use if you're tuning any lower than Drop B. If you're just tuning to C# or something then you're just lazy if you ask me.

But hell, its not up to me - if you can afford a decent 7 string then by all means go for it.
Quote by Yeathatwasme
john petrucci is a murderer

So relevant.....
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Quote by postmortem2006
Personally I think 7 Strings are only any use if you're tuning any lower than Drop B. If you're just tuning to C# or something then you're just lazy if you ask me.

But hell, its not up to me - if you can afford a decent 7 string then by all means go for it.

I want to get a 7 string...... so i can play it like a 7 string.... not to drop tune.

BEADGbe
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
7321s with a pickup change are pretty nice. My brother has a 7321 and it plays very well, really nice neck so it makes the 'change' from a 6 to a 7 very comfortable. Its only really the stock pickups which let it down and what you've chosen seems a rather good combo.

If you can afford it, I'd try and stretch to maybe an RG1527 or an S7320 (both with a pickup change though). Used 7421/7621 are good choices as well.

I take it you don't mind about a trem, so look at Schecters as well. The Hellraiser C-7 is a very good guitar, necks are thicker than Ibanezes though.
Yeah well i looked at the 7321 because its very cheap, and i dont mind about a fixed bridge.

in fact, if tuning 6 strings with a floyd is hard, imagine 7!
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
^^ Yeah, I'm not a fan of floating bridges myself, I like to be able to downtune without any trouble.

So yeah, Schecter or Ibanez would be my recommendation. Schecters have better stock pickups than Ibanez do, but again, if thick necks aren't your thing...
Also, unless you LOVE the Air Norton, you might want to try the Blaze Neck or the Paf 7. You could always exchange it if it's not your thing..
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Well i actually like the glassy tone it makes.
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Quote by thedonutman
Only when he uses the inside coils of both pickups, or when he releases killer bees.

Or when his guitar goes to world domination mode. Those Tony Blair made pickups...
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by Shard Heilia
My opinion?
No. Seven string guitars are horrible.

My advice?
Do whatever will further you as a musician or just allow you to have asome damned fun.

My opinion? You're a tool.

7 strings can definetely further him as a musician if he doesn't chug on the low B all the time (and it's easier to do that in a Drop B guitar if that's all you do).
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by aznrockerdude
My opinion? You're a tool.

7 strings can definetely further him as a musician if he doesn't chug on the low B all the time (and it's easier to do that in a Drop B guitar if that's all you do).

Im quite the opposite of a chugger, i do no such "chugging"

Shard i listened to your band and it seems all you do is chug.

and actually, 7 strings were made for jazz.

I just think the idea of another string opens up a whole world of possibilities
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Last edited by Teh GIR at Jul 5, 2008,
Quote by Teh GIR
Im quite the opposite of a chugger, i do no such "chugging"

Shard i listened to your band and it seems all you do is chug.

and actually, 7 strings were made for jazz.

I just think the idea of another string opens up a whole world of possibilities

Well, yeah, that's why some shredders use 7 strings every once in a while.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
go for it. I'd love to eventually get a 7 string, but first comes a Caparison, then a hand made strat (by moi), THEN a 7 string. Great for adding notes to scales, doing new chords, and just using the low b as a pedal tone (look up steve vai's demo of the Universe when it came out, how he bounces off the low B, then does a little fill, then repeats). It's quite cool. And finally someone who knows the origin of the 7 string guitar (jazz guitar! although I think the russian 7 string came before it [not sure])!

The 7321's nice after changing pickups and the bridge and whatnot, definitely a nice guitar. But someone mentioned to stretch for the 1527 if you can, and I'd recommend that also since it's Prestige and plays/sounds great.
For those debating on the origin of 7-strings, there really isn't a single place of their start. They came up on Russia and on South America (7-string violão) and quite a while later on jazz guitars. Now, I'm pretty sure that the Russian 7 stringers had no influence on the Brazillian 7-strings, but I can't say the same for the jazz ones.

On topic, I think it's definitely worth it. You can play anything you would on a 6 string guitar, but you have a 7th string that opens up a whole lot of possibilities that can pretty much only improve your playing if you approach the low string with the right attitude. So, IMO, go for it.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
You've got the right mindset for a first 7 IMO, those guitars feel really nice, and with a pup change that seems like it would definantly be worth it.
you should never knock a seven string till youve tried one im thinking of getting a rg7321 aswell but ill stick emgs on it
Setup:

Ibanez Gio
Bc Rich Warlock
Fender Squier Telecaster Deluxe Custom
Peavey Bandit
1982 JCM 800 Marshall 50WT Amplifier
Digitech Death Metal Distortion
Digitech Rp200a
Quote by Martin Scott
Go for it mate. There should be no 'shame' in having a 7 string or anything. I want one. However, I'm not a metal head really, and it's very difficult to find an electric 7 string that doesn't look all 'metal'. I hate metal guitars lol.

ibanezes dont look to metal, just liek a pointyer strat,

or how about a dean razorback 7 string? (joke)
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Yeah the Ibanez' are OK to look at. Dean though... ugh.. not only do they have to shamelessly cash in on Dimebag's death (he's been dead for a few years, and they already have a billion Dime signiture guitars and stuff), but they insist on that really gay headstock, and all that pointed body nonsense. If it was possible to stab a guitar manufacturing company.. I would stab Dean.