Hey, guys, this is obviously going to be a noob question since it's my first build/mod, but I figured somebody could help me.

I have this schematic that I want to use... one problem is, I'm using a humbucker in the bridge position instead... a second problem is, this is obviously pretty outdated, and I'm using Seymour Duncan pickups which obviously don't have just a white and black wire.

So, I'm trying to figure out what to do with the red, white, green, black, and bare wires in all of my pickups... From looking at standard wiring of a strat using my pickup configuration, I have come up with the following:

• Red/White wires seem to typically be soldered/taped together and just off to the side
  • Green/Bare wires both go to ground
  • Black wires go to the switches

Let me know if this is accurate so I can get started on the electronics. If not, any suggestions? I've already looked for similar wiring diagrams but came up with nothing.

Additionally:

Can anybody explain what each colored wire represents?

This will help me decipher and modify wiring schematics a little better

I have a lot of experience with both electronics and electrical theory (studied in high school and college), but I don't have any guitar wiring experience. Don't spare any details thinking it'll go over my head.

EDIT: For clarification, from what I can tell so far, the black wire in the pickups are what the white wire in the diagram I provided represents... the green/bare wires in the pickups are what the black wire in the diagram represents.. and the red/white wires in the pickups are some sort of noise cancellation or something. This is what I really need to have confirmed.
Last edited by RockThe40oz at Jul 5, 2008,
Quote by RockThe40oz

• Red/White wires seem to typically be soldered/taped together and just off to the side
  • Green/Bare wires both go to ground
  • Black wires go to the switches

This is correct.
All correct, except the white/red are actually end/start of your humbucker coils, so that the pair can be used to split the pickup by connecting it (the pair) to ground, usually through a switch.
Quote by Joel Rainville
All correct, except the white/red are actually end/start of your humbucker coils, so that the pair can be used to split the pickup by connecting it (the pair) to ground, usually through a switch.

Ahh. Thanks. Basically they can be used to turn a humbucker essentially into a single coil, right? And typically through a switch so you can change it back and forth? Sorry, been playing guitar for 5 years, but never really got into the hardcore details because, until now, I've been pretty much flat broke.
That's right.

That schematic you posted is very nice, I'll try something similar in a future guitar.
Yeah, it really caught my eye when I saw it. I was looking for something original and versatile. It's just a good thing I have somewhat of an electrical background otherwise I'd be sh*t out of luck in trying to figure this stuff out because it's so original.

I've thought about going even more complex, throwing in a killswitch or some LEDs or something, but I figure the more I introduce into the system, the more grounding troubles I can come into, and the more fuzz I could end up getting, so I'll probably keep it as it is. Maybe in the future I'll build another guitar and do something really crazy.

Thanks again for all the help. I appreciate it.