hey guys i was wondering if any of you guys knew anything about the "qualia, ovation acoustic guitars"

its a korean brand anyone know a thing or two if theyre good or not? i was thinking about getting one

oh and check out my acoustic piece i did, its quite rough[tempo, notes, etc.] but the middle gets pretty good imo.

http://www.myspace.com/josephcoolnesstune

first song, "apples and oranges"
well there's the ovation guitar company and they dont seem to have a model line called qualia on their site. In general most of the Ovation guitars seem pretty similar with that whole rounded back side thing so if it's really one of those then my experience playing them (ex gf bought one) is they are really a pain to keep on your lap while playing if sitting so best for if you're standing and they tend to have a higher pitch tone and not much low until you plug them in. There's a bunch of different electronics depending on the model and they end up being better run through an amp. Weirdly I ran one through a bunch of distortion, overdrive, and lots of gain etc. As long a it didnt feedback it was pretty trippy and sounded like most semi-hollow electrics.

Finally.... it sounded like crap until I sat there for about 2 hours and just played the hell out of it with REALLY hard strumming using a pick going for maximum volume coming out of it. I'd stretched the strings out really good before but it didnt sound good until I played it hard for that time. It's like it was "tight" and needed to be played hard to loosen it up. Then it sounded ok.

Regarding Apples and Oranges... the clicking is insanely annyoing. The song sounds ok but you gotta go back and redo it because that clicking clip thing blows bad...
Guitars:
Legend Guitar Company OM-307QM,
Gitane John Jorgenson Gypsy Jazz Guitar,
Ibanez AG-85,
Gibson Johnny A Signature Custom

Gear:
E-MU 1820M, Guitar Box Pro, Aphex 204, 1404, Boss OC-2, QSR, Roland Cube 60, Guitar Rig 2, Crybaby 535Q
Quote by lbritish
well there's the ovation guitar company and they dont seem to have a model line called qualia on their site. In general most of the Ovation guitars seem pretty similar with that whole rounded back side thing so if it's really one of those then my experience playing them (ex gf bought one) is they are really a pain to keep on your lap while playing if sitting so best for if you're standing and they tend to have a higher pitch tone and not much low until you plug them in. There's a bunch of different electronics depending on the model and they end up being better run through an amp. Weirdly I ran one through a bunch of distortion, overdrive, and lots of gain etc. As long a it didnt feedback it was pretty trippy and sounded like most semi-hollow electrics.

Finally.... it sounded like crap until I sat there for about 2 hours and just played the hell out of it with REALLY hard strumming using a pick going for maximum volume coming out of it. I'd stretched the strings out really good before but it didnt sound good until I played it hard for that time. It's like it was "tight" and needed to be played hard to loosen it up. Then it sounded ok.

Regarding Apples and Oranges... the clicking is insanely annyoing. The song sounds ok but you gotta go back and redo it because that clicking clip thing blows bad...

thanks, i played an ovation and i thouht it was ok, but this is a qualia, like a knockoff of ovation, but thanks anyways

yeah the clicking was there because i didnt have my amp on, and the song was recorded like 2 inches away from a crappy 10$ mic

hahaha thanks for the respose :]]
ahh.. well nevermind then... in that case dunno. I'm guessing if it looks and feels like an ovation and it's just a knock off that's going to be sued out of existance eventually it's probably pretty much the same. They are probably pretty new because I know the Ovation people have a bunch of patents on things that make their guitar different. It's just a matter of time before they get sued out of existance due to that.
Guitars:
Legend Guitar Company OM-307QM,
Gitane John Jorgenson Gypsy Jazz Guitar,
Ibanez AG-85,
Gibson Johnny A Signature Custom

Gear:
E-MU 1820M, Guitar Box Pro, Aphex 204, 1404, Boss OC-2, QSR, Roland Cube 60, Guitar Rig 2, Crybaby 535Q