ok, what are some excercises for me to practice to build my speed?

i have been playing for 4 years, but i cant quite rip out the fast shreds all over the neck. so what are some excercises? i know theory if that helps....

and also, i would like to learn how to do the harmonics like dimebag and the vibrato like him, but i cant get the vibrato technique right....is there a way i can practice this?
I think practicing slow is good for speed. And then gradually playing it faster, but not so fast that you miss notes/screw up.
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
Quote by heavy_metal747
well im not trying to learn a song, im trying to learn how to shred around the neck

Same thing applies; learn picking and fingering patterns around the neck slowly and speed them up, once you've done that you can fit them into your improvising.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i know, but what are some good excercises for that? like, maybe a scale or something thats extended over the neck?

or maybe some runs to practice?
Quote by heavy_metal747
i know, but what are some good excercises for that? like, maybe a scale or something thats extended over the neck?

or maybe some runs to practice?

If you know your theory then you shouldn't need us for this kind of thing; learn the scales all over the neck for a start then start off slow with a picking pattern you like (like the standard PG picking lick) and run it in as many different places as you can, once you get it up to speed you can start using it in music. The sam applies for any other lick you might like the sound of; learn how it's constructed and apply it to as many different scales and positions as you can think of, then once you know it up to speed you can use it.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
In D minor from a root:

e|-------------
b|-------------
g|-------------
d|-------5-----
a|-5-7-8---8-7-
e|-------------

and the extension:

e|-------------------------
b|-------------------------
g|-------------------------
d|-------5-----------5-7-8-
a|-5-7-8---8-7-5-7-8-------
e|-------------------------

Vibrato only comes with practice, the motion should be almost exactly the same as the motion for bending but a key thing is to listen to and try to emulate players whose vibrato you like. Also a good tip is try to sing and listen to the natural vibrato in your voice and try to emulate that, that way you get a vibrato that is as 'vocal' as your own voice.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
that and pratice with a metronome and play chromatics if you want speed and finger independance
well, when guitarists start from really low on the neck and they just play a lick up the neck, what scale are they using?
Quote by heavy_metal747
well, when guitarists start from really low on the neck and they just play a lick up the neck, what scale are they using?

Whatever scale fits the music underneath and mood they want to create. I thought you said you knew theory?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by heavy_metal747
i do, i just dont know how they do those runs along the neck

Try looking up lessons on things like scale sequencing and look at tabs of your favourite runs, try to figure out how they're constructed. I want to help a bit dude but I'm not going to hold your hand every step of the way.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
are they just scales, but taken out of the box forms? instead of playing the next note of the scale on the next string, you go up the neck to play it? if you can understand that at all lol, or do i have it completely wrong

ex: instead of playing open a on th 5th string, you play the 5th fret 6th string and 7th fret 6th string instead of 2nd 5th string for a major scale? and go up like that?
Quote by heavy_metal747
are they just scales, but taken out of the box forms? instead of playing the next note of the scale on the next string, you go up the neck to play it? if you can understand that at all lol, or do i have it completely wrong

ex: instead of playing open a on th 5th string, you play the 5th fret 6th string? and go up like that?

the'yre just scales - the box forms are pretty much irrelevant in themselves. All you're doing is playing the same sequence of notes in different places.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Try reading this, I didn't actually read most of it but it looks good enough.

http://chrisjuergensen.com.hosting.domaindirect.com/major_scale_sequences_and_patterns.htm

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.