alright i don't know how to say this, but is there a pedal that lowers the volume of the amp even though it is totally cranked. that way i get the tone i want but it isn't uber loud. i ask this because i want to get a tube amp and the volume knobs on my guitars don't really reduce the amount of volume, just the amount of gain.
Not really a pedal per-say... It's called an attenuator.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
atteunator or something

wait for someone knowledgeable about them to tell you more tho
Support new music, listen to my Prog Metal Band:
Open Wide, The Sky

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR White

Peavey 6505+ /w Mesa-Boogie Rectifier 2x12 Cab
cool, i just looked on musiciansfriend for one and realized they are super expensive. why?
tedweber.com

I love my weber. Its got a tone stack on it, treble boost (3 and 6db boost i love the sound from this!) and with switchable ohms if you ever upgrade you can use the same attenuator as long as the wattage is the same.

But attenuators do suck tone out. Weber uses a 'reactive speaker cone" and this seems to help with tone loss, but when its very attentuated you still get some tone loss, but you still get a tube amp sound without waking the neighbors.

on the otherhand like the THD hotplate just uses resistors to lower the power (or watts...) that go into the speaker. Basically the same concept. But i have never used any other attenuator besides my weber but I love it
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Isn't that the job of the master volume? (Guess that's a Noob question)
GANGSTAAAAAAS!

Chika! Chika! YEAH YEAH!

Quote by SG6578
That is regular hard maple...I'm 100% f*cking d*ck licking sure.
well if its a tube amp, it sounds better as you crank it and drive the tubes. Are you talking about for your solid state vox

*edit* just read the first post. I see what your saying. But yea, cranked up tube amps are when they sound the best. so to play at lower volumes and still be able to get that cranked sound you need an attenuator
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
tedweber.com

I love my weber. Its got a tone stack on it, treble boost (3 and 6db boost i love the sound from this!) and with switchable ohms if you ever upgrade you can use the same attenuator as long as the wattage is the same.

But attenuators do suck tone out. Weber uses a 'reactive speaker cone" and this seems to help with tone loss, but when its very attentuated you still get some tone loss, but you still get a tube amp sound without waking the neighbors.

on the otherhand like the THD hotplate just uses resistors to lower the power (or watts...) that go into the speaker. Basically the same concept. But i have never used any other attenuator besides my weber but I love it

this man is the man

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

I ordered one a while back!

Im probably gonna get it after my trip to NH
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Or you could just put a master volume on your amp. It's not terribly difficult to do yourself if you know anything about amps and electronics. You could probably pay a tech to do it for just about as much as an attenuator would cost.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
Or you could just put a master volume on your amp. It's not terribly difficult to do yourself if you know anything about amps and electronics. You could probably pay a tech to do it for just about as much as an attenuator would cost.

Theres a problem there. That won't crank the amp. The master volume just lets you max out the preamp distortion.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
An attenuator, is very basically, a master volume that goes AFTER the poweramp.

What your conventional master volume does is turn the volume down after the signal has gone through the pre-amp. So you can crank the pre-amp, but the power amp isnt cranked.

An attenuator lets you crank both the preamp and poweramp at manageable volumes.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
an attenuator is exactly what i need. thanx guys. i will check out the weber brand later