I have a line 6 Spider II 212 and as everybody knows they arent great

so i was looking at just using it without any of the effects on the amp and buying a distortion pedal that i could turn on when i need a distorted sound and bypass it when i wanted a clean sound.

i dont know whether to get a multi-effects pedal, if i do i cant afford a good one (under £100) or just a stand alone type pedal

I want a multi-effects because it will have a built in tuner, but i know just a single stomp box type pedal will probably give a better sound.

any ideas?

thanks
ummmmmm, guitar tuners are like 30 dollars tops, i personaly dont like medeling pedals so im not going to give you advice there, just head off to your local music store and try some out. as for a pedal, boss ds-1s are pretty much the stable started, you should get one for well under 100 pounds, thats what, 300 dollars, in that price range you could get something botique (it will eat any modeling pedal) ummmmm, have a look at some fulltones, i love my gt500 best distortion pedal i've ever played imo, anyway, theres two reccomendation, remeber, try before you buy

ps, just thought of something, reckon you could save some more? like, sell your spider, save some more, you can get a marshall tube amp for 900 dollars... so thats 300 pounds right? just a though,

Good luck pall
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
for what i use my amp for atm its not worth spending more money on it and buying a new one, hopefully when i get my univercity grant/loan i'll have some more cash :P

thanks for the advice, i'll check them out
I think any distortion wouldn't sound good on modeling amps.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

well usually, the style you play and the sound you want really determines what kind of distortion pedal you should get. Hands down, one of the best distortion pedals out there (imo) is the BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone. You can really customize your sound down to every last detail. Don't let the name fool you though, it's not just for metal, you could use it for just about any style of music that requires any amount of distortion,f or you can set the amount of distortion you want. On the pedal, the controls are;

Level (Sets the volume of the pedal)
High
Low
Mid
Mid Freq (by far, the setting that customizes your sound the most)
and Distortion (to set how much distortion you want).

So you can really get down and dirty with this pedal. That's my recommendation anyways. All the people that I recommended it to and got all said that it was amazing. That would be my choice of distortion anyways. I would refrain from the BOSS DS-1 Distortion pedal. It's way too muddy. But don't take my word for it, go to your music shop and try it all out, find one that works for you and that is within your budget, then get it and don't look back.

Hope this helps.
Quote by R.D

ps, just thought of something, reckon you could save some more? like, sell your spider, save some more, you can get a marshall tube amp for 900 dollars... so thats 300 pounds right? just a though,

Good luck pall

Spiders really wont get that much tbh, maybe £100ish if you're lucky, but it might actually be worth it.

p.s. the exchange rate is about 2 dollars to the pound
Quote by Demon_Wing
well usually, the style you play and the sound you want really determines what kind of distortion pedal you should get. Hands down, one of the best distortion pedals out there (imo) is the BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone.

I know it's your opinion, but there's SO many better distortion boxes out there for the cash.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
I know it's your opinion, but there's SO many better distortion boxes out there for the cash.

So much more and definitely better sounding.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

looks like i'll be going down to my local music shop and trying some out i just got a sennheiser freeport wireless from £250 to £80 because they had a clearout so hopefully i can get a bargain on a distortion pedal too