Yeah, I really really need some vocal advice. Any way I can make my voice better? I sing kinda deep, like Staind or Seether, but I'm still having trouble...please help me!
It doesn't matter where we die...
It doesn't matter that you cry...
WE WILL TAKE YOU WITH US...

-Epica's "Façade of Reality"
Smoke, and scream. Thats what I did, I'm trying to go for a deeper version of Tim McIlrath's voice. I'm slowly getting their too. Pretty sick. This is assuming you want rasp. If you just want a better voice (Pitch wise) Try belting stuff out at the top of your voice. And don't be embarrassed. It just takes practice. Your voice will be conditioned over and over. A good Song for that kind thing is the acoustic version of "Everchanging" (Rise Against) cause the second part of the verse needs to be just belted out at the top of your voice. Its much harder than you would think too!
Quote by ZeBubba!
Smoke, and scream. Thats what I did, I'm trying to go for a deeper version of Tim McIlrath's voice. I'm slowly getting their too. Pretty sick. This is assuming you want rasp. If you just want a better voice (Pitch wise) Try belting stuff out at the top of your voice. And don't be embarrassed. It just takes practice. Your voice will be conditioned over and over. A good Song for that kind thing is the acoustic version of "Everchanging" (Rise Against) cause the second part of the verse needs to be just belted out at the top of your voice. Its much harder than you would think too!

Uhm, thats absolutely horrible for your vocal chords.
Most of the suggestions he said (smoking, alot of yelling, etc.) will permanently
damage your vocal chords. Which in the end could easily result in surgery to remove
either throat "calluses", tumor-like bubbles, etc.
There arrree alternatives to those methods. Tim from Rise Against figured it out
without doing those things.

Its all about practice, and trying a bunch of techniques to get it sounding perfect.
(But thats kind of obvious.)
Just look on Youtube, google, yahoo answers, or pretty much any other website
you can find and you'll get some pretty good stuff explaining that.
If you don't yet know how to, learn a bit of screaming, it'll probably help you
learn how to get that rasp, and how to do it without damaging vocal chords.

And if after all of that, you still need help, you could hire a vocal teacher and
I'll bet you, you'd have it down realllyy quickly.
Lots of practice. Sing scales and always sing along with things and then sing them singularly. Always record yourself, listen back and work on where you're weak. Get someone honest's opinion (with a good ear) to tell you what they think. Lots of water.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
i have that problem. im not a terrible singer, but im not the greatest. and i smoke. i can be honest and say that it DOES **** your voice up, but it gives you a deeper raspy voice as well...permanently. i wouldnt suggest it. BUT! i would suggest trying to play single notes on the guitar and train your voice to match them. i like doing it with chords. ill play a chord and try and match it. if i have trouble with that, then ill go for a single note. try that for awhile and see what happens my man.
Songwriting & Lyrics =/= Vocals...

But, before this ends up being moved...

Don't listen to what anybody says about smoking. Hell, I do harsh vocals (screams and growls) and I avoid it. Whereas it does make your voice raspier, it does it in a way that is not natural to you, and it hurts you.

Plus, you're not looking to get your voice raspier. Just push from your diaphragm, be confident, and work your scales to increase range, and just practice, practice, practice. The biggest part of this is confidence though, your voice never comes out as strong when you're uncomfortable.
Thanks for the tips guys. I did a performance, my first one actually, on the 7th of August, and I had some vocal problems. If you want, I could post the videos or something so you can see how they were. I did alright for a first time, but I wish I did a little better.
Thanks again!

Al
It doesn't matter where we die...
It doesn't matter that you cry...
WE WILL TAKE YOU WITH US...

-Epica's "Façade of Reality"
Quote by ZeBubba!

ignore this post.
-

try the singing thread @ Musician Talk, lots of tips and information.
my bro is a vocalist (pattheman) and he sings harder songs just by practicing the harder parts. gradually gets better and better!. practice in moderation! most of all save your voice. don't over do it. practice makes perfect!

if some songs are a little too high for your voice, tune down the instruments. lots of recording artist do that.