I've been playing guitar for about a year and a half now and was looking in to getting a bass by the end of this year as well. I wouldn't want anything much over $200. Just looking to hear what you bass players think of certain brands etc. I currently own to ESP guitars and love the quality. Figured one of their lower LTD model basses would be great to start off with. But if you guys reccomend a certain brand or bass let me know. Also what are some good decent bass amps? Do I have to use a bass amp? Remember, I don't want to go crazy and spend loads of cash.

Thanks!
im not much of a bassist, but i would DEFINITELY suggest to use a bass amp for bass. it could happen, or it couldnt, but you never know if you could blow out your guitar amp. its one thing i freak out about forsure haha. but yeah man, definitely use a bass amp for that.
Yeah I was a little worried about that as well. I wont be using my guitar's amp for sure then. Thanks for the heads up.

anyone else?
I looked a bit and still am leaning towards an ltd.

From owning a bolt-on guitar and moving to a neck-thru, there was a lot of sustain difference. Does it really matter as much in a bass? Because I don't plan on dishing out enough cash to get a neck thru.
get an ibanez GSR200.
i was in the same boat as you and i bought this. its a swell instrument.
Love, RamonesRock
Quote by RamonesRock
get an ibanez GSR200.
i was in the same boat as you and i bought this. its a swell instrument.

There alright instruments, after a year with one you'll be desperate for a new one, but by then hopefully you'll be getting a new one. And personally the white or red are the better finishes I own the white and its rather lovely.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
If you had bothered to look in the FAQ, ALL of your questions are answered there.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
check the FAQ
if you want it to be versatile then go with GSR200
for punk and overall rock tones squier p bass
for rock with more bite and jazz go with squier j bass
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
I would say the closest bass I've seen to a guitar is a Fender Bass VI
guitar tuned down an octave (or is it a six string based tuned to EADGBE?)
ESP basses are awesome in quality and sound, but they tend to price high for a good one. Try going for a Dean Playmate. Only 150 or so bucks and has good quality and sound.
I swear officer, his nose ran into my fist and just continued on doing it.