Mine is probably viewing good guitarists technique and fretting hand posture like vai, satriani, slash and santana, and trying to get a good style.

also switching from 9's to 10' i always thought i could play faster with 9's, but i lost so much tone, and evan when i tweaked my amp, my higher strings were still too mid ranged and piercing, and also i prefer bending with 10's i used to over bend so much with 9's.
starting to learn hendrix and page solos instead of just improvising my own solos to songs, which had me stuck in a rut playing the same licks over and over...and^yea i love the thicker tone from .010 strings
Probably learning the pentatonic scale. I put it off for a really long time...when I finally got around to it (learning it well) it helped my playing soo much. I used to just play other people's stuff.
crazy talking animals
Stopped wasting time learning whole songs. I learned the riffs that jumped out to me, and applied the technique to my own stuff.

Also, tuning to C standard. I cannot playing in E standard tuning anymore. I hate how shrill the high notes sound, but thats just my opinion. I come up with a lot more material in C.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
getting better gear where you can hear every flaw in my playing.

also playing guitar with no amp, so I am forced to become a cleaner picker/player
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Learning to play the piano. It really helped me learn lots of theory and brought my guitar playing to a different level. I highly recommend learning the piano to anyone that struggles with theory, its a much more visual instrument then guitar so understanding how scales work or how to create chords becomes a lot easier.
Learning individual riffs, learning the pentatonic scale and other scales, studying Hendrix and SRV, and moving from acoustic to electric.

However, it must be said that my acoustic was just a sh1tty low-end Yamaha.
I might just buy an Epiphone acoustic and start again, though.
Quote by JLT73
getting better gear where you can hear every flaw in my playing.

also playing guitar with no amp, so I am forced to become a cleaner picker/player

Actually I think it sounds different when you're playing unplugged from when you're playing on the clean channel. I don't know what it is, but it sounds different. I think it would probably be the most beneficial to play more on the clean channel (as opposed to unplugged) because you're probably not going to do any sort of real playing unplugged.

EDIT: I think I figured out what it is. When you play unplugged, there is much less difference between loud and soft (there isn't really a lot of resonance with a solid-body guitar) and differences in picking will probably not be that dramatic. However, as soon as you turn the amp on and set it to the clean channel, volume changes in your play will be a lot more apparent, and you'll have to get used to that after playing "acoustically" for a while.
crazy talking animals
Last edited by mrvile at Jul 6, 2008,
I took a 2 year hiatus. I started to lose more interest in playing guitar, and just put it down during my junior year in high school. I started listening to a little more of a variety of music and began getting a better feel for what kinda music I really liked. So just a few months ago I started playing again and everything just seemed more fun for me. Now, i've been writing better songs, although my technique is not quite as good as it used to be, but it's getting there. I had a reborn interest for playing, and that's a great thing.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by stinger12345
I took a 2 year hiatus. I started to lose more interest in playing guitar, and just put it down during my junior year in high school. I started listening to a little more of a variety of music and began getting a better feel for what kinda music I really liked. So just a few months ago I started playing again and everything just seemed more fun for me. Now, i've been writing better songs, although my technique is not quite as good as it used to be, but it's getting there. I had a reborn interest for playing, and that's a great thing.

Haha dude we're like the same person.

I played a lot of guitar while I was in high school because I had time to, but towards the end of high school my improvement started to plateau. Then I graduated and left for college, and while I brought my guitar along I didn't really have time to play at all. I just came home for the summer, bought myself a new axe, and started to play like crazy again. Between a couple months ago and now, I've gotten a LOT better.

Also we listen to a lot of the same music. Towards the beginning of summer I basically learned the entire Chronchitis album and a lot of Closer to the Sun. I've also been dabbling with some Sublime too, but I think Stoopid is a little bit more guitar-oriented.

Haha looks like we both finally decided to join UG forums around the same time too

Rock on bro
crazy talking animals
changing how i hold a guitar pick, i used to hold it directly between my thumb and index finger, now i hold it against the side of my index finger, it broadened the techniques available to me and has helped in the long run to play more challenging songs.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Quote by mrvile
Haha dude we're like the same person.

I played a lot of guitar while I was in high school because I had time to, but towards the end of high school my improvement started to plateau. Then I graduated and left for college, and while I brought my guitar along I didn't really have time to play at all. I just came home for the summer, bought myself a new axe, and started to play like crazy again. Between a couple months ago and now, I've gotten a LOT better.

Also we listen to a lot of the same music. Towards the beginning of summer I basically learned the entire Chronchitis album and a lot of Closer to the Sun. I've also been dabbling with some Sublime too, but I think Stoopid is a little bit more guitar-oriented.

Haha looks like we both finally decided to join UG forums around the same time too

Rock on bro

Dude that's ridiculous. Are you actually me in some other dimension? Cause that's pretty much the EXACT same story as me. I just bought myself a new axe too.

That **** is crazy lol
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Theory, metronome, and using economy picking. This scotch that I drank tonight is also helping play well right now.
Gibson.
Quote by ledzeppelin535
Learning to play the piano. It really helped me learn lots of theory and brought my guitar playing to a different level. I highly recommend learning the piano to anyone that struggles with theory, its a much more visual instrument then guitar so understanding how scales work or how to create chords becomes a lot easier.

im buying a keyboard soon so i can learn the notes better.
Listening to the mars volta. Seriously, I was in a massive rut and barely played, that band kicked my ass.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Going for classes.I never knew the guitar was so wonderful before.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Economy of movement. This helped me be much faster and cleaner.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
Not putting as much emphasis on learning songs but on practicing scales and creating blues riffs and rythms.
David St. Hubbins: Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year. It's just not really widely reported.
- Spinal Tap
Probably learning to pick with my wrist. Helped a lot. Also, listening to new kinds of music, like Iron Maiden, has helped take my writing and playing to a new level. Iron Maiden also helped me realize that I don't need to turn my gain up to 10 to get a truly heavy sound.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
learning scales, modes, how to eq, never having a girlfreind and playing guitar instead...

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Using thumbpicks was the most recent change which benefitted my playing. Also, getting a tube amp helped a lot, because i finally had a nice articulate, responsive tone that made me want to pick up my guitar and play. It just made the instrument feel nicer to play, somehow.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.