Page 1 of 4
I'm out of reading material.
I've plumbed the depths of all of the book stores in my city and I need something new and fresh.

Recommend me something -
And do NOT recommend me anything from Kurt Vonnegut, Chuck Palyhuniak, David Sedaris or Bret Easton Ellis. I have better things to do then read shit from people who have written the same book 20 times.

Give me something interesting, perverse, depraved, exciting, sexy, hilarious, heartbreaking......
Poor advice.
Interview With The Vampire - Anne Rice. Best book ever. If you like that there are like 7 or 8 books after that.

House Of Leaves was confusing but very, very good.
Tin Tin!

>_> ...
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Harlan Coben. Nice thrillers.
Try the Tom Clancy GOOD series, e.g. Rainbow Six, The Sum of All Fears, The Hunt for Red October...

Michael Crichton is a nice author too.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Dante Alighieri's The Inferno. Even an arrogant prick like yourself will enjoy this book. Have fun.
Quote by Albert Einstein
Nuh-uh. Nuh-uh. NUH-UH. NOPE. NO! NOPE! WRONG! NO! UR AN IDIOT! STFU! GTFO!

Quote by genghisgandhi
Eyebrows has no Whoopi Goldberg, for never is she surprised?

Lolita

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

something by robin cook haha hes good
Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
Prove to her you won't shoot any real prostitutes. Bring one back, and show your mum how curteous and polite you can be with them.
Hermann Hesse's Demian.
...Up to the battlefield to where the spirits walk...
Quote by Phobos&Deimos
Dante Alighieri's The Inferno. Even an arrogant prick like yourself will enjoy this book. Have fun.

Mmmm.. this book is full of Satan!

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Yu may have already read it but "The Eye of the World" by Robert Jordan is amazing. Its in a 12 book series, so it should keep you busy for a while.
The Ender's Game series is amazing. By Orson Scott Card. If you like Sci-fi, check it out.
Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.
Quote by SDZAKKMF
Darkly Dreaming Dexter. It is a horror masterpiece.

Yes, this... and also the Halo books.. so good
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
I personally liked Deltora Quest, Deltora Shadowlands, and Dragons of Deltora Might not be for you, though.

Try Ghoul by....oh damn it i forget his name, but wikipeda it or something and it should say. It was an awesome book though.
Ayn Rand was a cunt, and books by Michael Crichton and Tom Clancy aren't really books - They're mainstream garbage with the film already in mind as they write them.

I'm sorry, but I'm picky.

To the guy who recommended Demian - I've read it and it's fantastic.

Keep 'em coming.
Poor advice.
Quote by ItWillDo
Lolita

Vladimir Nabokov actually gave a group of students what I believe to be the best advice I have ever heard for aspiring writers, he asked the group what the trees outside the room's window where called and none of the students knew and he told them "How can you expect to become writers when you do not know the names of the trees in your own country?". For this reason, and because I've read Lolita, I second the nomination of this book.

I also second the person who suggested Inferno, however its important that you read Paridiso too, Carian Carson actually did a fantastic translation of Inferno a few years ago, published by the New York Times Review of Books, but i think its available in most bookstores.

My own personal recommendations at this time are "The Road" by Cormac McCarthey, which should have won the nobel prize but instead only got a Pulitzer, its the most important book of the last 25 years. If you decide to be ignorant and don't read it you are a philistine. I also suggest "Blood Meridian" by the same author.

Other suggestions from me include "How to Practice" by his holiness the 14th Dali Lama and Discourse on the Method and The Meditations by Rene Descartes. ALSO Seamus Heanys Translation of Beowulf.

Anyway that should be enough from me, sure beats the hell out of Tom ****ing Clancy.
Acoustic Percussion Guitar Player
Quote by InvaderTSN
I can only poop during full moons.
Quote by robertreilly666
My own personal recommendations at this time are "The Road" by Cormac McCarthey, which should have won the nobel prize but instead only got a Pulitzer, its the most important book of the last 25 years. If you decide to be ignorant and don't read it you are a philistine. I also suggest "Blood Meridian" by the same author.

I'm a huge McCarthy fan. The Road is great and I think Blood Mediterranean is his masterpiece.
Poor advice.
It took me a while to get Blood Meridian but when I did it was a bloody good read.

Also try any of the oxford university press' "A Very Short Introduction" range, which is like 150 books, nicely bound and formatted on a huge range of subjects, i own a few and they are all great inroads into subjects about which one wants to learn. That is of course if reading as education is your thing.
Acoustic Percussion Guitar Player
Quote by InvaderTSN
I can only poop during full moons.
Mark Haddon's "Curious Incident..."

Fascinating book. Very unique. If a little short.
Official member of the "UG Senior Citizens Club For People Over 21"
Official member of the "UG Fat Chicks Appreciation Club" (Yeah, no one will probably follow...)

Moby Dick

while listening to 'Leviathan'
Quote by Captain_Kickass
dreamtheater91 has destroyed my soul with that story

Squall Leonhart of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!

PSN name = liftingshadows
You could try "Catch-22" by Joseph Heller
Also anything by George Orwell is bound to be amazing
If your a fan of Sci-Fi, Asimov is excellent.
And I just started The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Amazing.
Alasdair Gray.

If you've not read him, I suggest you do. Scottish writer, some would say he's the greatest living British writer. Either way, his 'magnum opus' as it were, is "Lanark: A Life in Four Books'.

According to wiki:

Lanark, subtitled A Life in Four Books, was the first novel of Scottish writer Alasdair Gray, and is still his best known. Written over a period of almost thirty years, it combines realist and dystopian fantasy depictions of his home city of Glasgow.
Its publication in 1981 prompted Anthony Burgess to call Gray "the best Scottish novelist since Walter Scott". The book has since won the Saltire Society Book of the Year and David Niven awards, and has become a cult classic. In 2006, The Guardian heralded Lanark as "one of the landmarks of 20th-century fiction."[1]

Lanark comprises four books, arranged in the order Three, One, Two, Four ( there is also a Prologue before Book Three, and an Epilogue four chapters before the end of the book). In the Epilogue, the author explains this by saying that "I want Lanark to be read in one order but eventually thought of in another", and that the epilogue itself is "too important" to go at the end (p. 483).

According to me:

It is about two characters; Duncan Thaw and Lanark. One a sort of slightly mental guy who wants to be an artist/mural painter, the other a man looking for love. Lanark lives in a world with Duncan Thaws psychosis sown into the fabric. Duncan thaw is suffocating and dying because of his inability to love, and the world that Lanark inhabits is dying for the same reason.

Considered a 'post-modern' or modern classic, it's well worth your time.

EDIT:

Other books i've read by him are: A history maker and Old Men in Love, both good... though Old men in Love...not as good, heh.

I've not read it yet, but i've been told by a number of people that 1982 Janine is actually his best book. I couldnn't say.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Last edited by meh! at Jul 5, 2008,
Inferno is amazing.
Communist manifesto(it doesn't make you communist, it's quite interesting)
Foucalt's pendulum
Portrait of John Dorian
Nietzsche
Sorrows of Young Werther
The Metamorphosis (kafka)
Last edited by MRavioli at Jul 5, 2008,
Dostoevsky is my go-to here man, his books are everything you listed (except sexy)...check him out if you haven't already, and if you have then tell me whether or not you've liked him so I know where to go. Favourite book: The Idiot. Favourite short story: The Dream of a Ridiculous Man.

I work at a bookstore and it's my personal mission to make sure everybody has a book they want to read

There's a writer I like who's actually still alive (a rarity in my library) named Lorrie Moore, she's definitely all of the above. I would start with Self Help which is a collection of her short stories so you can kind of get a taste. If you don't dig short stories start with her novel Anagrams.
Quote by metacarpi
I'd rather post a chat up line with an escape route in case it starts going wrong.

"Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?"

*girl looks unimpressed*

"Because it looks like you landed on your face."
Dude read some Darren Shan, otherwise you don't know what you are missing, the demonata series is awesome
My favorite band is Tool.

Quote by dio_dude
despite the funny name, unknownpunkrock is the coolest 08'er.

Ibanez GRG
Vox AD30VT
Randall RG50TC
Takamine C128
Dano Wah
Yamaha S90
Oh yeah Andy Mcnab is really good to.
My favorite band is Tool.

Quote by dio_dude
despite the funny name, unknownpunkrock is the coolest 08'er.

Ibanez GRG
Vox AD30VT
Randall RG50TC
Takamine C128
Dano Wah
Yamaha S90
Page 1 of 4