Page 1 of 2
Title says it all. I can't decide what to do. Which one would be faster? I'm still having trouble getting the speed up there.
I kinda do both. For that starting riff, which I assume you're talking about, I alternate pick the open E and fretted notes on the A string, then swithc to down picking for the power chords. For the run down the E string following that, I use alternate.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Well it's not like we're going to be able to tell you either.

Just pick one and practice it. Like the others said, alternate = speed, downpicking = consistency.
crazy talking animals
why would you downstroke anything that repeats like that?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by yoyodunno
I economy pick everything unless the part is special that needs something else.

what exactly is economy picking?
Quote by Metallica_Man55
what exactly is economy picking?

You alternate pick, but if you switch strings, you may have a few downstrokes or upstrokes in a row if that way there is less movement. Say you were to downpick on the low E. Using alternate picking, if your next note is on the A string, you would use an uppick. If using economy, you would use a downpick.
Quote by GoodGod
You alternate pick, but if you switch strings, you may have a few downstrokes or upstrokes in a row if that way there is less movement. Say you were to downpick on the low E. Using alternate picking, if your next note is on the A string, you would use an uppick. If using economy, you would use a downpick.

ah, i see.
If I alternate, it get sloppier. So I usually just get a really thick pick, and only downpick. Sounds a lot better, but it's harder to do.
it doesn't sound right if it's alt picked, downpicking only for that one.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Alternate is easier. Try whats best for you. But james and kirk do it downpicked.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Down pick for the intro riff then alternate for the little guitar passage right after the intro riff, after that it doesn't really matter. Down picking sounds better for metal, but as you said alternate is faster.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
Downpicking it is harder but that's how Metallica plays it and it's kind of a rite of passage to downpick all of Master of Puppets (The song not the full album, though that would be amazing)
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I downpick all the intro riff but at the spider riff, i use an upstroke to play the notes of the A string. The rest of the song, as far as rhythm guitar is concerned, i play it downpicked.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
downpicking that fast is much harder, BUT it makes it so much chunkier and heavier. i downpick.
I used to be able to downpick the Spider Riff no problem but I can't any more for some reason....It makes me sad....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
**** that, finger pick that ****
Quote by jmag

God, you make a 5-year-old seem like master Yoda, as far as patience goes.
I have made a new best friend learning this. He calls himself a metronome. =D
i can play it FASTER with alternate picking, but it sounds more ACCURATE when i play it in downstrokes, even if it's not 100% up to speed.
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
okay my advice is to definitly downpick only. My reason being it sounds more accurate and it will help your downpicking skills while on the other hand if you alternate pick your just sticking to what you know. Widen your skills.
Quote by BladeSlinger
I used to be able to downpick the Spider Riff no problem but I can't any more for some reason....It makes me sad....

what's the spider riff?
Quote by GoodGod
I have made a new best friend learning this. He calls himself a metronome. =D

Smart decision.
Everything Metallica plays is all down, that's kind of their thing. But obviously some riffs are impossible to do all down, Master of Puppets is not of them.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

how about that fast opening riff to blackened? do you think they do that in all down??
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
I like to downpick it because thats just the way i learned it. But by the time i get to then end my arm is on fire haha!!!
That's one riff I've never really been sure about, just because it CAN be done all down, but it's just waaaaay easier to do it if you alternate...but i'm not sure at all. I can't even really tell when watching them play it live..
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Page 1 of 2