is it worth it ?

i play mostly metal but i like to do some mellow clean stuff to
If that's the sound you're after, why wouldn't it be worth it?
Well I would suggest getting a good high-gain amp before pickups, but when you plan to get pickups I would suggest Semour Duncan Blackouts before EMG's. In my opinion, the sound is much more organic than EMG's, but it's all preference.
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
but you dont even know what amp he does have, i say go for an emg 81/60 combo the 60 in the neck does good cleans i think they make an alnico version too or it is alnico so that helps xD

and also, no one does (or at least shouldnt) pursue active pickups because they want an organic/passive tone, thats a little...retarded xD
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Quote by ash_attack
but you dont even know what amp he does have, i say go for an emg 81/60 combo the 60 in the neck does good cleans i think they make an alnico version too or it is alnico so that helps xD

and also, no one does (or at least shouldnt) pursue active pickups because they want an organic/passive tone, thats a little...retarded xD
Ha ha, ok well you have me there, but just hear them for yourself, they still have a great metal tone but it just lets the sound of the guitar stand out much more than EMGs.
-Bugera 333XL 212
you would buy a gibson and put emgs in it?
are you serious?
0_o
whatever...i give up on people...actives are not the way to go...but no one listens...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by bi-ah!
are you serious?
0_o
whatever...i give up on people...actives are not the way to go...but no one listens...
That's all opinion. Personally I don't like the sound but if I had to choose I do have a preference.
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by bi-ah!
are you serious?
0_o

+1

I've just got to wonder why you would buy a Les Paul kknowing that you're gonna change the pickups. That's like buying Mint Oreos knowing that you're gonna want double stuffed ones instead.
There are actually Les Pauls that come with EMGs, like this one.

EMGs would be great for metal, and the cleans aren't too bad. They still have a touch of gain, but they still sound great. In my opinion at least.
Quote by bi-ah!
are you serious?
0_o

Soo very very true my friend...

but yet its all preference...

I don't like actives...

but if thats the tone you're wanting, im sure it will work in a les paul
Quote by CrackerJack465
Amps dont matter.
NeWb!
Quote by DDoug
Ha ha, ok well you have me there, but just hear them for yourself, they still have a great metal tone but it just lets the sound of the guitar stand out much more than EMGs.

i have heard them and i think theyre excellent, and theyre cheaper too, thats always a plus =] i might end up getting the schecter atx with them in it
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Don't a couple of Metallica's LP's have EMG's?
crazy talking animals
yeah theyve used emgs for a long time im pretty sure xD
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
i love rondo, but why pay 200 more for pickups that come in a guitar that you're gonna have to take out to put in your GIBSON LES PAUL
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Quote by ash_attack
i love rondo, but why pay 200 more for pickups that come in a guitar that you're gonna have to take out to put in your GIBSON LES PAUL

the point was to not butcher a gibson with emgs when you can have that guitar for a little more then buying emgs alone.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Last edited by mikeyElite at Jul 6, 2008,
Quote by mikeyElite
the point was to not butcher a gibson with emgs when you can have that guitar for a little more then buying emgs alone.

ahh.. well that makes sense, but in that case, save up a little more and wait for this baby to get back in stock, i was gonna get this but now im gonna just get the blue EC-1000 instead http://www.rondomusic.com/product1891.html
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Quote by ash_attack
ahh.. well that makes sense, but in that case, save up a little more and wait for this baby to get back in stock, i was gonna get this but now im gonna just get the blue EC-1000 instead http://www.rondomusic.com/product1891.html

yeah but im pretty sure the "Lp" in question is an epiphone not a gibson. therefore my suggestion goes out the window and i suggest pickups instead
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by bi-ah!
are you serious?

+1 I think its a mistake too..

A Gibson Les paul was designed with a lot of things in mind.
You are reverse engineering the guitar.

EMG's are great..I love them. But once u start playing them you can spot
them a mile away no matter what they are in. EMG's are for wailing man.
I think EMG's should be used for well made cheaper guitars because of
the generic tone. Dont throw them in a guitar that has a legendary tone
of its own.

Zakk wylde plays ballz to the wallz pups on cool LP's...yeah it looks really
cool..but it may be too much of a "good thing." You dont need a LP to do
what he does...the tone is pretty much all emg (infront of the amp)..
with the LP's legendary sustain. You just need a lot of practice and some hot azz pups.

I really like my EMGS...but you are going to have to work extra hard not to
sound like another famous player that uses them too.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Jul 6, 2008,
While I think putting EMG's into an LP isn't going to make a bad guitar in any way, I do agree with you guys that the LP isn't going to contribute anything else to the sound except for maybe the feel of the guitar (why not just use an Epi, right?). When it comes to the music you'll be playing with the EMG's, all your tone is going to come from the EMG's and the amp/pedal. I'm pretty sure people like Metallica and Wylde just put EMG's into their LP's because they can afford it, so they might as well use the best of the best. For everyone else, it would just be a waste of both money and a great guitar.
crazy talking animals