As the title reads Im having a GAS attack after seeing that BOTM Pbass...now I do play the heavier types of metal but ive seen bassists use Pbasses for death metal and such (Dillinger Escape Plans bassist to name one of the top of my head) but Ive always wondered whether a Pbass is just too simplistic in the way of tone changing during a performance to warrant me having a decent look at one. I know your amplification is a decent chunk of your overall tone, but should I look at a Pbass or something along the lines of an Ibanez, Warwick, Schecter or possibly a Deluxe Pbass special with both P & J pups?

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
My MIA P bass gets tons of different tones.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by MustangMan311
Haha, Liam from Dillinger plays a First Act Telecaster bass.

Really? Hurray for being mislead by one of my friends

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
DEP are also very not death metal Mathcore, I'd say. Very, VERY different.

If you like the tone of a PBass and think you can get it working within the situation you want to it to, go try it out. But try out as much as you can get your hands on. That's all I can say.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
DEP are also very not death metal Mathcore, I'd say. Very, VERY different.

you know after a while, they're just all loud music that scares old people.

P bass can work in metal. death metal probably. but it isn't quite right unless you use a black knife as a plectrum.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by oz_bassist
As the title reads Im having a GAS attack after seeing that BOTM Pbass...now I do play the heavier types of metal but ive seen bassists use Pbasses for death metal and such (Dillinger Escape Plans bassist to name one of the top of my head) but Ive always wondered whether a Pbass is just too simplistic in the way of tone changing during a performance to warrant me having a decent look at one. I know your amplification is a decent chunk of your overall tone, but should I look at a Pbass or something along the lines of an Ibanez, Warwick, Schecter or possibly a Deluxe Pbass special with both P & J pups?

IMO-

Ibanez basses under about $800 all sound soulless. I've always found Warwicks to be very uncomfortable. I own a Schecter Elite 4 string and have been playing that since '03, but I got a $100 used BC Rich warlock bass yesterday and it pwns the Schecter. Schecter's also don't have very good tone... kind of a similar stigma as Ibanez basses. I used to be so against Fender basses, but after trying many out, I've found that they are the most versatile and comfortable, even if they are your "standard issue" bass. You're pretty spot on with the P+J idea, but I could bet you you answer lies in...

G&L Basses. Very, very similar to Fenders. In fact, the "L" in G&L stands for Leo... as in Leo Fender. G&L was a company he set up with a friend to continue making basses in his vision after the CBS buyout. They have a very nice feel and lots of tonal capabilities.

You may also want to consider Music Man... not my favorite, but a respectable bass nonetheless.
Quote by guitgrinder
IMO-

Ibanez basses under about $800 all sound soulless. I've always found Warwicks to be very uncomfortable. I own a Schecter Elite 4 string and have been playing that since '03, but I got a $100 used BC Rich warlock bass yesterday and it pwns the Schecter. Schecter's also don't have very good tone... kind of a similar stigma as Ibanez basses. I used to be so against Fender basses, but after trying many out, I've found that they are the most versatile and comfortable, even if they are your "standard issue" bass. You're pretty spot on with the P+J idea, but I could bet you you answer lies in...

G&L Basses. Very, very similar to Fenders. In fact, the "L" in G&L stands for Leo... as in Leo Fender. G&L was a company he set up with a friend to continue making basses in his vision after the CBS buyout. They have a very nice feel and lots of tonal capabilities.

You may also want to consider Music Man... not my favorite, but a respectable bass nonetheless.

don't hate the Ibanez. It beats you down and eats your shriveled soul. the Warwick will just punch you in the face. It knows it's badass, and doesn't have to prove it.

G&L however, is very great.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
don't hate the Ibanez. It beats you down and eats your shriveled soul. the Warwick will just punch you in the face. It knows it's badass, and doesn't have to prove it.

G&L however, is very great.

I don't hate Ibanez basses, they just have a very "synthetic" tone to me (if that makes any sense...)

Warwicks are great guitars, but they're just uncomfortable to me.... they feel stiff.
I just got a warwick corvette double buck and I understand why people say they are uncomfortable but it fits my body pretty well, especially standing up. The tone is amazing and extremely versatile. Great for metal, jazz and everything in between.
Quote by guitgrinder
I don't hate Ibanez basses, they just have a very "synthetic" tone to me (if that makes any sense...)

Warwicks are great guitars, but they're just uncomfortable to me.... they feel stiff.

I get it. I think I know.

but you obviously haven't played the SR650 poplar burl. best limited edition ever. not synthetic at all.

I think I know what you mean, I find after playing any thin neck bass most Warwicks feel a little square and boxy. not bad, just... unusual.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Glad to see my bass is having an effect .

It is not the most versatile bass ever, far from it, but the tones you can get out of it fit just about anywhere. Just look at the list of styles I've used it for, I've never felt that this bass sounded out of place in any of them.

It's not a Jazz bass with hundreds of possible sounds, but it is a bass with some very very usable tonal options.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!