So i have a traynor 40 watt tube amp 1 X 12 that im going to run as a pre amp to a 4 X 12 avatar cab.

i heard the minumum wattage for a four by twelve is 50 watts..
but would it be different since it technically is a 5 X12 because of the traynor speaker?

I don't want to spend money for nothing

if you want to see technical info

look at the g412 traditional cab on this site

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

direct link to the traynor amp
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-40WR-YCV40WR-40W-All-Tube-1x12-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Speaker?sku=489074
as long as the impedance matches it will be fine, I've run a 5 watt head into a 4x12 before.

also when you plug into a cab usually the speaker on the combo is disengaged.

Edit: yeah the impedance matches so it will work fine.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jul 5, 2008,
thank you very much,
i needed this because my band and i are playing multiple shows without sound systems.
This means less stage volume for me and i ALWAYS break a string at these kind of shows because im naturally playing harder to make up for volume. I believe this will change now
Last edited by sunandammo at Jul 6, 2008,
There isn't a minimum wattage for any cab, if anyone tries to tell you otherwise they're full of it.

A 4x12 might add a little bit of volume, but not much really. If you want more volume I suggest you invest in a higher wattage amp or buy a PA.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
its hard to explain.

its loud enough but i didn't hear it myself because all the sound went to my knees
^ You could try a better monitor onstage, or tilting the amp back so that you can hear yourself easily.
Quote by sunandammo
So i have a traynor 40 watt tube amp 1 X 12 that im going to run as a pre amp to a 4 X 12 avatar cab.

It's not a preamp, you're using the entire amplifier section. You're using it to power the cab.
i heard the minumum wattage for a four by twelve is 50 watts..

Not actually true. There's no minimum wattage, but the maximum wattage is defined by the wattage of each individual speaker.

but would it be different since it technically is a 5 X12 because of the traynor speaker?

Nope, it's still the same wattage. You've just got four extra speakers. And the internal speaker is oftentimes defeated when you plug into the external line.