ok, i have narrowed down my choices to the Peavey XXX or 6505 stack. now before any fanboys jump and post "teh 6505 cause it has teh br00talz tone"...no, i want, of these two amps, an amp that has half way decent cleans, and can achieve classic rock type of tones, AND teh br00talz metal ****. I havnt been able to play around with either of them, because no one has them. there is but one place, but its kinda far from here, and im planning on taking a trip sometime next week. so, until then, i want your opinions.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Here's what I think:

6505: decent cleans, can do classic rock pretty well, but more suited to metal.

XXX: decent cleans, more suited to the rock side of things - but can do metal.

So, 6505 if you want to be able to do that (what u mentioned), but play metal alot as well. XXX if you want a more clean/rock tone approach.

/my opinion
i dont know much about peaveys but i do remember reading numerous times that the 6505 has horrible cleans

edit

after reading the comment above me i would say get the xxx. and od pedal could also give you the desired tone if necessary

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
i dont know much about peaveys but i do remember reading numerous times that the 6505 has horrible cleans

I see that, 6505 cleans are fine, not great, but decent nonetheless.
Quote by timzee117

edit

after reading the comment above me i would say get the xxx. and od pedal could also give you the desired tone if necessary

^It's the voicing thats off for the XXX, not the amount of gain. (although the 6505 does have a sh1tload on tap )
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I would get a JSX just because you can get them used for the same price as a XXX new and they are better IMO by a lot.

i honestly was SOOO phucking close to getting the JSX stack, but for some reason the ultra channel was lacking a bit.
Ibanez AEL 12-string

While not having played a 6505..I know that the triple xxx has all the gain you could need for metal on the ultra channel and pretty nice cleans too. And the crunch channel is nice for earlier metal type stuff also I use my badmonkey on both channels and it works great.
whats wrong with the voicing?

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

i say 6505. i dont run either, mind you, but hjave tried them both and the 6506 is by far a better amp IMO. im in the thunderverb camp.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
Quote by Y0UNGBL00D
i say 6505. i dont run either, mind you, but hjave tried them both and the 6506 is by far a better amp IMO. im in the thunderverb camp.

A new version of teh 6505 series?
Oh and about the voicing i think some people think its a little thin or not as heavy is cause the mids tend to get in your face a bit so you need to do some fancy eqing. That could be because i have EL34's in mine right now tho...and the stock sheffield speaker..
what about the jsx? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-JSX-Joe-Satriani-Signature-Head?sku=480114
it's three channels, with one being a nice clean tone, one being more classic to hard rock, and one being balls out metal. each one has a noise suppressor so you can kill some of the hiss and feedback you get if you're playing way loud, switches to fatten your tone and whatnot, and an impedance selector so you don't have to get a full stack, and you're not stuck with a half stack. i'm a big fan of the individual eq for each channel.
it'll run you about a hundred more than a xxx.
or, if you've got a little more money to burn, try a framus cobra.
sounds a little better. and it glows in the dark. i'd guess you'd pay about 2500 for it though.
honestly, i'm not big on the 6505. the original 5150s were pretty good, the 5150+ is less cool, and the 6505 doesn't do it for me.
honestly, im gearing more towards the XXX, but as soon as i get to the store, ill post back with my decision.

untill then, can some people who have these amps, yoyodunno, lol, can i have your best metal setting?

EDIT: do either amp have any form of reverb?
Ibanez AEL 12-string

haha, i meant 6505. there is no 6506, before anyone gets excited!!! and also, i was thinking the JSX not the XXX. havent tried the XXX. so im a liar. sorry. but the 6505 is a really good amp. i know amps differ a lot, but i am also of the opinion that if you are spending money on higher end or at least mid grade amps, you are going to get what you pay for no matter what within reason, of course. i mean, you can buy a 6505 and then kick yourself for not buying a bogner uberschall, or a krank or whatever other hi gain amp, but all in all, they are all going to get you kicka$$ tone regardless.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
another thing to consider is the 6505 is pretty dark and the xxx is bright. the xxx i played was kinda fizzy, but it wasnt cranked AT ALL so thats probably not a good example. the 6505 i played was great though. it does brutal stuff excellent of course. for classic rock it still had that metal vibe, but i didnt mess with any lighter stuff for a long time. im sure i could have dialed in a better classic sound. the cleans are actually WAY better than people make them out to be. its not great, but its passable. it sounds best when doing clean riffs and little arpeggios and such, not so good for chord strumming
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
any amp settings that i can try out?
Ibanez AEL 12-string

From what I've heard the XXX is a bit fizzier.

In the end you should just go play them. They'll both do metal very well, but they have different gain structuring.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
it depends what kind of metal you want to play on the XXX. i've played it once or twice, it's a nice amp, it has much better cleans and it's a little crunchier than th 6505. not as muddy either.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
people will say, get the XXX cause the 6505 cant get good cleans. this is not true : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeoYMvQa30w
also the XXX is a REAL bitch to eq, i have experince with it and its harder to eq than a mesa! and if you want it to sound good with any eq setting there are mods you get it to do. also a XXX you need to get miked up at a show for it to sound godo while a peavey 6505 can sound good by itself live. i have experince with both the XXX and 6505. i would totally recomend, the 6505+, remember the + part cause the + is worth the extra 300 bucks...
well, i like a wide variety of metal, for example, A7X, Bullet For my Valentine, Children of Bodom, Arch Enemy. etc.etc.

the biggest part that i want is a PERFECT metal setting, because metal is one of the hardest sounds to sound great, but i do enjoy playing classic **** like Zep, Aerosmith, Blackfoot, AC/DC, etc.etc.
and once and a while i like sparkling cleans with reverb and slight delay to make some nice blues licks (since i am a very versatile guitarist ).

i might be going tomorrow to try them out so i would REALLY like some settings from owners of these amps to try out.

btw, i know i need to get delay and reverb pedals. and if it comes down to me getting the XXX, its no REAL problem getting a MXR eq. but like i said, by the looks of it now, the XXX is looking like its on top
Ibanez AEL 12-string

I'd go XXX. Two of my friends have them and they have a really nice live tone and they play heavy music. It also has brighter cleans, and a nice crunch. You might want to pick up an OD though.

The Peavey 6505 isn't anything to write home about. The guitarist in my band uses one, and I think the XXX is a lot nicer.

You may not need an EQ. Try it out without first and see what you think. I'd recommend an OD over an EQ to tighten up the Gain channel. It can be a bit flubby.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
i didn't find the XXX to be that hard to EQ, i mean i didn't sit there and play with it. i played it at a shop and i found a decent tone in a few minutes.

ewww, if you're going to play A7X and Bullet on it, might as well just buy a MG, you'll sound just like them. you don't want to contaminate an amp like that. JKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I would get a JSX just because you can get them used for the same price as a XXX new and they are better IMO by a lot.

i second that
Quote by bjovi400
any amp settings that i can try out?

What I usually do is start out with the bass and treble at 3 o'clock and put mids at a little over 12 o'clock. Then I usually add a little bit of mids to taste and take away a little bass and treble. Just remember its an active eq, and i've read about people putting all three eq controls at zero and add a tiny bit of bass and mids for a brown sound, so thats worth a try but i didn't find it too useful.
I say JSX, they have an amazing clean tone, and it lacks nothing when distortion is added. It is by far the most versatile.