Ok. I've got a crazy idea... I had another thread asking for help with my wiring, but now I want to expand my idea and throw it out there for you guys to judge. I'm basically looking to create the monster of all guitar wirings, but I'm afraid I'll just introduce a bunch of fuzz into my sound and end up sounding like ass.

Here's my idea... my current wiring idea is a schematic I found involving 3 switches, which change my pickups between series/parallel wiring. I'm using 2 stacked single coils and a humbucker (I like humbuckers... leave me alone ).

My additional idea, however is to do a parallel wiring switch allowing me to switch each individual pickup's coils to be either in series, parallel, or split. I already have an excess of DPDT on/on/on switches, so I figured why not. If not all 3, I'm thinking of doing at least one or two of them.

The theory is to create a guitar that will allow the pickups to be wired in any imaginable configuration, including the TYPE of pickups used (rather, emulated via coil splitting).

I've already got an idea of how to do this in my head, I just wanted to throw it out there and see what you guys thought. I'll end up with 6 switches on my guitar if I follow through with it. Of course, if you guys think it's a waste or it'll sound like ass or that it won't even work, I may just stick with the configuration I previously planned on.

Thanks for reading and feedback.
If you want a lot of sounds, try this one, courtesy of Ken Fischer:

Sound list for each pickup:
1. Humbucker in phase
2. Humbucker out of phase
3. Coil A off + in phase coil B
4. Coil A off + out of phase coil B
5. Coil B off + in phase coil A
6. Coil B off + out of phase coil A
7. Coil A bottom end only + coil B in phase
8. Coil A bottom end only + coil B out of phase
9. Coil B bottom end only + coil A in phase
10. Coil B bottom end only + coil A out of phase
...have fun.
If you added an on/off switch on a push/pull for each pickup's volume control, you'd have literally thousands of possible switching options.
Last edited by Roc8995 at Jul 6, 2008,
How about 4 switches? A 3-way for each pickup for off/single coil/on, and then one more for master series/parallel/out of phase? That third one would be tricky (read: maybe not possible), but you get the idea. I thought about doing this a while ago and just ended up doing push/pulls for parallel and out of phase.
I think what will happen when you get done wiring this thing is that you'll realize two things:
Wiring that many switches is a huge pain in the ass; and
One or two well thought out switches will give you a huge sonic range, especially if you've already got three pickups. It's definitely a case in which less is more, if you do it right.
Quote by Roc8995
How about 4 switches? A 3-way for each pickup for off/single coil/on, and then one more for master series/parallel/out of phase?

Probably the smartest idea for this combination.
I got some good guitars, yo.