I was just wondering if it really matters whether i play in standard tuning or 1/2 step down... I'm starting to learn some Guns N Roses stuff like Welcome To The Jungle (and i'll probly be learning Don't Cry next). I've been playing it in standard and it doesn't sound off, plus i'm kind of lazy to tune it down since almost everything else i play uses standard tuning so i just leave it... Theres probly not a clear answer here, more of just personal preference & opinions but i'm just wondering what other ppl think about this...
i do the exact same thing. i'm perfecting sweet child o mine in standard. i also learn van halen stuff in standard as well.

bottom line: you are not alone.
yea its a pain in the ass, u can play it in standard and it will usually sound good enough to just play on ure own sparing a few exceptions...if you ever have the money and feel like screwing around with something, buy a digitech whammy pedal, its got some fun stuff on it and one of the functions is drop tune, if u put the pedal halfway down u can use it to tune half step down.
but you generally can also play stuff in standard a half step down too. so you wouldnt really have to go back and forward
Quote by ash&embers
it can matter if you have a vocalist

how would it? you'd just move everything down 1 fret and you instantly have 1/2 step down tuning. except for a low E string open note...
i tune all my stuff down a half step...except for jimi hendrix's little wing and pink floyds comfortably numb....as for the rest its all half step down

i just noticed its easier to bend and you can bend more....plus i have a deep voice and i need to kinda have a key in my songs haha

its all in preference though...SRV tuned down a half step
Quote by Metallica_Man55
how would it? you'd just move everything down 1 fret and you instantly have 1/2 step down tuning. except for a low E string open note...

True, but just in the example of Sweet Child, open Es are used quite a bit, in the rhythm at least.

But for me, I like to play along with songs, and don't really have the brain power to just move everything down a fret
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

I keep my Strat 1/2 step down. I started doing it because of my AIC borderline-obsession, but after that, I just left it that way. All you really lose is your highest fret, which, if you have a 24-fret guitar, isn't a big deal, especially considering that all you have to do to play in pseudo-standard is move every note up one fret.
Long story short, I find that being tuned down works well for me.
Quote by Metallica_Man55

in more complicated songs where there is alot of hammering and pulling off open notes and such, it makes the song alot easier to play in it's proper key if you tune the guitar according to how it says. Say the song is in the key of Eb, then the only way to hit the root note would to be to tune your guitar down 1/2 step, either that or change the key to E and just play everything up 1/2 step.
Member #16 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join
why not tune down? i have a floyd rose and don't dare tune down unless i have a few spare hours. if you don't have a floyd than i say go for it.
Quote by smackforall
I keep my Strat 1/2 step down. I started doing it because of my AIC borderline-obsession, but after that, I just left it that way. All you really lose is your highest fret, which, if you have a 24-fret guitar, isn't a big deal, especially considering that all you have to do to play in pseudo-standard is move every note up one fret.
Long story short, I find that being tuned down works well for me.

am i the only one who plays zeros? i cant move them down very good
Want something that looks like spam but is actually legit?! Well I have the thing for you. Nah dude, I actually get legit MS points from this and do like 2 surveys and you can get about 400.

http://www.points2shop.com/?ref=EmoSlayer
Quote by Metallica_Man55

The vocalist will then sing it half a step lower, which in most cases, is easier.
I like to keep my Tele half a step down. For SRV, Hendrix, and because I just like it. I just move everything up a step (and maybe a capo) when I have to play a song in standard.
You could constantly keep tuned to D standard and use a capo for normal stuff or 1/2 step down stuff.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Quote by ash&embers
it can matter if you have a vocalist

yeah..^If you play a song a half step off it can really throw a singer off key.

Tuning down a half step also makes the strings a little easier to bend.

You would think a half step isnt a big deal..but sometimes a riff will just sound off.
Especially if its a very famous cover and u hit a big solo. The moments where you
hit really big important bends...it can be a show stopper.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
I keep all my guitars half step down. I just think it sounds better. Gives the tone alot more depth and warmth IMO.
Gibson.
It does make a different.
I guess the reason you said 'it doesn't sound off' because of all the Sweet Child 'o Mine backing tracking out there are made for standard tuning. Try play it together with the actual song and you'll hear the different between the tunings.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

It just changes the key. Not really a huge deal. Van Halen's cover of "You Really Got Me" isn't in the same key as the original song, probably the case with all their covers. You can play the song exactly the same, it just won't be exactly like the original recording.

If a singer can't change key by a half step, chances are they aren't a particularly good singer. Singers shouldn't really ever be in a key that forces them to the top or bottom of their range in the first place (there are a couple exceptions, but usually it is a very deliberate and short period thing, nothing too extended), so changing it by half a step shouldn't be pushing them.
if the song has no open strings i just play it in standard and move everything down a fret
if not i just tune it down its not a big deal but gets annoying somtimes
or you could always have it half a step down and if you wanna play in standard just put a capo on first but i dont like doing that for some reason it just feels weird sometimes.
I say: tune down half a step and go play some Protest The Hero!
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Just tune down half a step and put just use a capo when you wanna play in standard. That's what I do with my SG... Or, IF you have 2 or more guitars, just put one of them in Eb, and keep the other in standard.