omg guys my les paul will not stay in tune. I have to tune it everytime i touch it. I can tune it and when i play it goes back out of tune. I checked everything and it seems alright but the damn thing wont stay in tune and its became impossible to use it to record with or play live with. help me guys
My Gear
gibson les paul standard 50's neck
Taylor 210e
Michael kelly patriot shadow
strat copy
squire :p
marshall dsl 100
peavey windsor straight and slant/W/wgs veteran 30's
crate g130
vox ad50vt

ehx big muff
the tuners are tight though i checked nothing is loose
My Gear
gibson les paul standard 50's neck
Taylor 210e
Michael kelly patriot shadow
strat copy
squire :p
marshall dsl 100
peavey windsor straight and slant/W/wgs veteran 30's
crate g130
vox ad50vt

ehx big muff
Quote by emo killer
the tuners are tight though i checked nothing is loose

Gibson tuners are not too great stock.
Dickless.
I know alot of people who have replaced the stock ones. But I do believe the newer ones are made by gotoh I think.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
New tuners, I suggest Grovers.

+1.

I suggest get Locking Grovers or Locking Schallers. It's just the tuners.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Check and adjust the truss rod, action, and intonation. Better tuners always help, but a Gibby shouldn't need anything new just to be playable, so you've got something else going on.
My epi LP standard with factory grovers stays in tune so a gibson should with no problem.
when did you last restring, and though its a silly question, did you stretch em?
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Quote by Tackleberry
My epi LP standard with factory grovers stays in tune so a gibson should with no problem.

My Epiphone with factory grovers has also been completely faultless in the three years I've owned it. My Gibson I bought last year had a ton of pathetic little QC issues, though. You'd think that because you're paying top dollar, you wouldn't have to worry about stuff like that. You'd be wrong though, unfortunately.
Yeah those Gibson tuners suck, my SG came with Grovers and a well cut graphite nut (some of Gibsons gimmick models are actually a really good deal) I suggest replacing the tuners and the nut, and yeah make sure your strings are properly stretched.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
The tuners on mine are actually awesome (I got a limited edition one with nickel sealed deluxe tuners), it was just the nut. Poorly cut, binded a lot with the strings, and caused tuning issues. It's perfect now that I've had it seen to, the stock tuners on mine are great. Though they're not the usual green key Kluson ones that they normally put on, which I have heard bad things about.
oh and BTW this isn't really that big of a deal because it's easy to fix, a real LP nightmare is when the neck snaps at the heel and you have to have it replaced.

Last.fm
Nah, it is really annoying having to take your guitar into a luthier who charges you £200 to set it up properly and reshape the nut, if that is the problem with his guitar, which to me it sounds like it is. The symptoms he described are the same as what my guitar had. 'Pinging' sounds from the strings = binding at the nut, which = badly cut nut.
yeah IMO it's actually easier to replace the nut with a nice graphite one, then you'll never have nit related tuning problems again.

Last.fm
Lube the nut before buying or changing anything. Simple graphite from a #2 pencil will do the trick. Once binding in the slots is ruled out then you can start thinking about other potential issues.
Taking the nut out on the Gibson is not a simple procedure. As the nitro lacquer goes over the side of the nut, simply 'taking it out' will damage the finish on both sides, and devalue the guitar a great deal. Your Gibson came with a graphite nut, so that's different.
Quote by Martin Scott
Nah, it is really annoying having to take your guitar into a luthier who charges you £200 to set it up properly and reshape the nut, if that is the problem with his guitar, which to me it sounds like it is. The symptoms he described are the same as what my guitar had. 'Pinging' sounds from the strings = binding at the nut, which = badly cut nut.

1. that's nuts. set up wouldnt cost that much.

2. how do you know it sounds like it needs a set up. did he even say how old the strings were, or if he tried lubing contact points.
maybe i missed it.

imo, a nightmare is when the guitar falls over and the headstock snaps off. that's more what i expected when i read the title.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by mp5hkm
lock the string in place.

In case descriptions are needed:

(Invalid img)

The probability that the tuners are messed up is so small anyway. Let's remember that manufacturing those isn't rocket science. Even the inexpensive tuners on inexpensive guitars don't suffer from the old backlash. A true nightmare is not learning how to properly re-string a guitar that you love, IMO.
Another option is the bridge saddles which I don't think have been mentioned yet. If they're not smooth anymore and have burrs on them they can cause the string to snag slightly then release...think of stretching out a slinky then letting it go. Having the saddles filed can help tremendously or better yet if you can afford them replace them with teflon saddles.
Quote by jj1565
1. that's nuts. set up wouldnt cost that much.

2. how do you know it sounds like it needs a set up. did he even say how old the strings were, or if he tried lubing contact points.
maybe i missed it.

imo, a nightmare is when the guitar falls over and the headstock snaps off. that's more what i expected when i read the title.

Crappy music shop set-up costs about £30. To get a local luthier who's been making guitars for over 40 years to do a real professional set-up cost me £110, then after the nut etc it cost me £200. And yeah, Gibson really need to bing back the neck volute. Not that I care.. it's not as if I'm ever gonna buy another one of their guitars.
new tuners and a set up should fix the problem. I have heard that les pauls arnt the best for staying in tune though.
Quote by HolmesMonaco
new tuners and a set up should fix the problem. I have heard that les pauls arnt the best for staying in tune though.

And that's a good enough reason to not believe everything you hear/read. Generalizations are always suspect, my opinion.
Quote by Martin Scott
Crappy music shop set-up costs about £30. To get a local luthier who's been making guitars for over 40 years to do a real professional set-up cost me £110, then after the nut etc it cost me £200. And yeah, Gibson really need to bing back the neck volute. Not that I care.. it's not as if I'm ever gonna buy another one of their guitars.

That's still a rip off, you don't need a luthier to set up your guitar unless it's been severely damaged. I know several guitar techs that have worked for pro musicians and none of them would charge near that much.

Last.fm