Part of my degree was film-based, and we talked a lot about generic convention. For example, from an action film, you'd probably expect there to be a lot of violence, a clear sense of who is 'good' and who is 'bad', and an A-list actor spouting cheesy one-liners and generally blowing shit up.

For me that carries into music. It's not a derogatory term as such, but it does imply that a band follows certain codes and never really attempts to break from them, more often than not the result of a lack of creative ambition. Which is rarely a good thing.
A band that does nothing outside of what has already been done in the scope of their genre is generic.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
A band that repeats what's already done, and making no effort to differentiate themselves from the rest of the music out there.
Quote by ch715dallat
Necrophagist how could all you n00bs forget the best german metalcore band ever. i think theyre tech metalcore tho or sumfin
What if you go one step further, not only do some bands do nothing to differentiate, but some try to sound like others and play the part.