I am going to be buying a distorion pedal fairly soon, and i had a couple of questions.

Is it best to use the distortion pedal over your amp's high gain channel? on its crunch channel? or on its clean channel?

And if the distortion pedal has a built in EQ, then what should the EQ on my amp be so that it isn't over kill?

thanks alot guys, sorry im a noob.
don't use a distortion pedal ofer the gain channel. it will sound like ****
you can use an overdrive over a gain channel to make it go from like normal gain to really high gain
i don't really know enough to answer the eq question
I want Super Saiyan abilities
ok, if you put a pedal over your high gain or crunch channel use it only for leads, so they pop out more and then turn it off for rhythms. zakk wylde does this i believe, however i use mine in front of my clean channel cuz my other channel sucks
If you say Randy Rhoads isn't amazing, I will hunt you down (Same for Marty Friedman)Founder of Rhoads/Friedman pm if you want in..
"guitarists have a thing, where their guitar is like an extension of their penis.." well said, ozzy
i figured you use it on the clean channels. Its just that it seems like such a waste to buy a good amp and then the tone you get is from the distortion pedal you buy.
it just depends on what you wanna sound like and personal preference
If you say Randy Rhoads isn't amazing, I will hunt you down (Same for Marty Friedman)Founder of Rhoads/Friedman pm if you want in..
"guitarists have a thing, where their guitar is like an extension of their penis.." well said, ozzy
Use the distortion pedal into a clean channel. Unless used with a very low gain, volume and everything. Just like vai uses his keeley ds1 with his legacy.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

It really depends on what amp you have.

What amp do you have?

[EDIT]

I see you have a Bugera - don't buy a distortion pedal, you don't need one and there's no point. An EQ pedal would be useful for tone shaping or boosting, as would a Tubescreamer type-overdrive pedal, again mainly to give you a mid boodst. Both those would be used over the amps distortion usually because you want the sound to cut through a bit more when soloing.

You could also get a chorus pedal for sweeter clean tones, a delay or a wah-wah.

But no distortion pedals, you'd just be wasting your money.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 6, 2008,